It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Black Helicopters" : pro-government propaganda primer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
So I found a novel called "Black Helicopters," and being a conspiracy fan, I immediately said, "Shut up and take my money!" I read it in about a day; it's a pretty short novel, and the language makes it clear that its aimed at teenage girls.

The story centers around a teenage girl with the eye-rolling name of Valkyrie White. (I guess calling her "Cracker Saxon" would have been too on the nose.) Her family are American domestic terrorists who live off the grid, home school their kids, and make their money in human trafficking and other illegal activities. They also build "messages" i.e. bombs, and deliver them to Those People, who are hunting them with the titular black helicopters.

Valkyrie leads an incredibly sheltered life; she has no friends outside of the survivalist movement, and she doesn't participate in normal activities. What's worse, her father beats her and her father's friend sexually abuses her. As the story progresses, we feel more and more sympathy towards the protagonist, and realize that she is ignorant of the fact that she's unwittingly playing the part of the villain.

What's insidious about the book is that it follows the government script exactly-preppers, Constitutionalists and gun owners are lumped in with people who hear voices, abuse children, and murder innocent people. These people also follow Asatru, have shaved heads and "red black and white flags" (three guesses what THAT's referring to.) Of course, these "terrorists" are obsessed with Ruby Ridge and Waco, two examples of the abuse of government power. I'm surprised the author didn't work in Holocaust Denial or 9/11 Truthers somewhere, but maybe she's saving that for the sequel.

What I took away from all of this was that the author wants you to think that anybody who questions the government is a Bad Person; a fringe weirdo, a kook, a criminal and a loser. I have no doubt this book will be made into a movie some day; it seems like it would be right in the CIA/Hollywood wheelhouse. Of course, I realize that statement makes me sound like one of the characters in the book....

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Great catch!

This is a huge problem, it has been in pulp fiction, TV, movies, etc. for some time. I am particularly concerned about its penetration into our schools of late.

Eyes open wide everybody, the best defense is a good offense.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Judging from reviews of this book on Amazon, the public are eating it up. Though it hasn't exactly reached 'Best-Seller' status, I do find it disturbing that a fair number of people have read it and refer to it as 'powerful', 'intense', 'lyrical' and 'Wow".

I find it kind of sad that this kind of vilification is being hailed by anyone.

new topics

join