It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got food stamps

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

damwel
reply to post by Drezden

We'll according to the republicans you are a lazy good for nothing parasite that should work 2 jobs if you want to eat instead of living off the hard work of the rich.

From polticans that most likley only work a few hours a day and spend the rest on the golf course!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

why get dirty when a few hours of non hard work other than thinking, typing, and paper turning can make you money , the days of hard work are gone that is what the friends from the south are for , www.biggone.com...# IT was the top seems it is now in the number 5 slot, number 1 is a doc er surgeon, seems the days of sue sue sue you are over in 7th and the last web developer , til,... the next round of web links comes about

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

buster2010

MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by buster2010

Many, as in most jobs don't even have paper applications to fill out any more. A library computer is only available for an hour per day for most places. A computer with WiFi capability is more like a necessity, but then you are at the mercy of the hackers.

No matter what one does, there is somebody one does not see nearby to take advantage and abuse for profit. Most of the time it is a bank, protected to do it's dastardly business by a cop, stupidly supported by some dumbass who somehow is naïve enough to trust anything is a simple as it seems at first glance.

We are all being taken advantage of, and blame those who have less power than we perceive ourselves to have.

Now I kind of see where all of those zombie movies come from....

Then you have an hour a day you can fill out apps then. Home internet access is not a necessity.

Jobs crop up at all sorts of times. An hour a day at the library is no good. What happens when their computers are all booked up or crashyed? No, full time access to the internet is a neccessity.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I don't worry so much about high paying work as I do about the cost of living rising forever to stratospheric heights.
I said earlier, that I have been under or unemployed for around 5 of the last 10 years, and learned to live very frugally during that time.
The market price of required resources needs to be taken out of consideration, as people can hardly afford to buy food at the wildly swinging cost of living versus low wage world this has become.
When prices rise, many are priced right out of the market and require assistance.
Everybody is being exploited, and they seem to just love it, wallowing in their personal tub of excrement.
Study history, it repeats itself, prepare.
There is a lot more wrong here than most people realize.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

That and I have had jobs were I had to confirm fast if I was to make a interveiw. If I had to wait till the next day that interview would have gone to someone who was living in the 21st century!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
WHAT is the cut-off? If you make 29,999 a year you are elibible but if you make 30,000 you are not?
I'm sorry to hear the situation you are in, and how low of an income you are receiving.

I make 80k a year and well, I could use Food Stamps after I pay my Credit Cards, Student Loans and everything else!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

buster2010

spacedoubt
Internet access is no longer a luxury.
I think the whole, "if you can afford the internet you don't need food stamps" Is One of those Hannityisms, or Limbaughisms, to get the far right liberals that listen to their show fired up. Yes, I said liberals.

anyhow. Do your best with what you have. Do not deprive yourself of basic human needs, and that is more than just food. And most of all, good luck on your studies. Learn to do what you like (and can make some money doing).

The internet is not a necessity. If you need the net that bad go to your local library they usually have internet services that the public can use.

The internet isn't goin anywhere its a well established fact of life, its a tool used around the world that aids in being a productive contributing member of society. Just like phones and transportation. Since we already have food and shelter covered. Why blow money on CLOTHES you don't need those anymore! Oh that's right you can't do much outside of your house without clothes on.

Let's say goin to the library for an hour a day makes sense instead of frivolous $20 home internet. What about gas @ 3.5-$4/gal to get there? You could take a bus how much does that cost, is it less than $20/mo? You could ride a bike how much does a bike cost probably more than a year of internet. Walking is free but shoes aren't, how fast are a pair of shoes goin to wear out before after walking miles everyday? Then there's that annoying thing about food for poor people since we cut that frivolous $20 internet and as a another poster suggested bought 20 cans of beans, how is this person goin to cook these cans of beans at the library?

Point being you have to overlook quite a few other expenses to justify pulling the plug on someone's internet access just because they get food assistance and there are free internet options in public places down the road.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Don't be ashamed.

The money you are getting is quite literally your money.

You've been paying into the system for as long as you have been paying taxes.

So enjoy it.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hey your good bruh, I grew up on Food Stamps. I still remember as a child asking the ice cream driver if he would take food stamps, he said yes...though I think he was just trying to be nice because he didn't take my stamps.

Hard work bro, yeah sometimes I fear what would happen if I injured myself. Being military, this is one of those high risk jobs that I could end up crawling away from and unable to use my full strength.

I just recently PCS and took a huge pay cute myself, but TX is way cheaper then HI so I think it should even out.

You got to do what you got to do bruh.

Internet is practically a necessity these days, if you want to compare living in the woods, sure internet is something you can give up, but for instance my job in the army, I have to have Internet. Internet is needed for my job and there is now way around it, so I always go for the highest package available and cut the cable out.

This is my last tour in service, 16 months left in service and I have to save as much as possible an cut as much as possible for when I get out into the world, but I will remain stubborn to the fact that internet is a necessity.

Stay strong bruh, ramen, off brand toilet paper. If you have to, donate some blood or plasma....I donated plasma during some hard times before the army it really helped me out in some binds, using it for food, THANK GOD FOOD IS CHEAP HERE IN TEXAS.

Just don't get use to it, it happens in the service where soldiers an there families are so use to the proverbial military tit handing them everything like BAS, BAH and COLA.....
BAS-Basic Allowance of Sustenance (Food)
BAH-Basic Allowance of Housing (Live)
Cola-Cost of LIving Allowance (entertainment)*only in some parts of military post
**Even with these, people still sign up for Stamps and lets not forget WiC....

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This thread speaks to me right now.

Im considering getting food stamps myself.

I'm a 25 year old paraplegic, and my basement got DELETED from hurricane sandy, so i'm stuck on the first floor of my house. Only way i can get outside and do what i gotta daily is when my ambullette company takes me to a medical appointment; there is no trnaportation company that i can afford everyday that can take me down 9 steps everyday. Can't afford it.

I would probably be well progressed in school if it wasn't for this situation. Would definitely have been working also.

I don't have a robust job history, nor have i filed any taxes, so i only get $38.40 for ssi, and $445 for ssdi.

I buy my own groceries with what i make monthly, and my parents take care of the house bills and what not; i want to take some pressure off of them and paying the household, and save money, so i think i'm going to do the same as op here.

Not all recipients are lazy, and just sit around having there hand out waiting for their next handout. I myself feel quite shi**y for being disabled and not contributing more, but i need to physically be at class, none of the classes that i need for my major at my school are not offered online (and i don't trust myself with online classes at home, at all...).

Op, do what you have to do, and @ houndoghowlie, these days, especially for students, the internet is NEEDED, and is no longer a luxury...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I am curious; if you are single and making what you say, how do you owe the State that much money? Did you put your withholding to the max to get more money out of your check? Because that is the only real way to have to owe.

I am not dogging your situation, it just doesn't add up from the limited information you gave. Maybe you addressed this later in the thread; if so, sorry.

It just seems you didn't take advantage of the multitude of write-offs that a State offers for such a low income.

I hope the best of you and that you can regain a footing for yourself.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I think in the not-to-distant future, internet access will be a public utility like gas or electric. Sure, you CAN live without electricity, but it's not really something most people would enjoy. I wouldn't be surprised if government sponsored internet access is a reality someday. Having the government provide internet access is a huge can of worms though...

Except the Government doesn't provide those utilities.....those are privately companies that are managed through a public commission. You want that for your Internet? You want the Government to dictate the level of service you want?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

bekod
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

3 things that are always need in society IT Technician, Lawyers and Doctors, the rest is a hit and miss. and that does not mean a job out of collage either.

Not if you're in a small town. I have an IT background and it doesn't qualify me for a thing. It does however tell employers like McDonalds and Taco Bell that I'm over qualified and they should hire someone else.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Many people, and myself, have nothing against people getting help when they need and deserve it. There are just so many people that use all the assistance out there as a form of income. I was just watching the news tonight and they were interviewing a women (single) with 6 kids! Of course living in a trailer with a big tattoo other neck. I'm assuming a lot but that's very likely someone who made a bed she couldn't lay in.
You sound like you have a plan and are going to better yourself. Hell, with taxes social security, Medicare etc...we all should have a right to use the the support systems we pay into. I really don't know why instead of forcing people to use things they have too much pride to accept, they just don't stop leaching off people that can't afford it...I mean isn't that better for everyone involved?
Anyway, best of luck and don't let it concern you. Your just taking back a tiny bit of what you've been putting in.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Arnie123

This is my last tour in service, 16 months left in service and I have to save as much as possible an cut as much as possible for when I get out into the world, but I will remain stubborn to the fact that internet is a necessity.

Off Topic: Hey Soldier, start getting your resume together now, research VA home loans and look more into your Post 9/11 MGIB if you have not already.

ACAP was a joke when I ETS'ed out of the DC area in 2010 and the Government has got no love for Vets.

You're not kidding about food being much cheaper in Texas, got to love HEB.

On topic: OP, you're cool by me using the Govt. safety net. Back in the 90's, my Mother and I had to go on food stamps for about 6 months. One thing that helped me to deal will my own humiliation of having to use them was to remind myself that this was only temporary.

Seems that too many folks get bent out of shape over the general topic of Govt. welfare instead of focusing on fixing the loopholes that are allowing the system to be easily abused.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

ownbestenemy
reply to post by Drezden

I am curious; if you are single and making what you say, how do you owe the State that much money? Did you put your withholding to the max to get more money out of your check? Because that is the only real way to have to owe.

I claimed 2 exemptions on my w-4, thinking that I'd get a full refund no matter what since I'm making barely any money, and better to have less taxes taken out with each check.. because back in Illinois I always claimed 2 exemptions and still got a full tax refund, but in the new state I'm living in their income tax is much higher, something I should have researched more. Anyway I updated my w-4 with only one exemption now.. so hopefully this year I'll owe nothing.
edit on 9/24/2013 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have no problem with American citizens getting help when and where they need it. I only have a problem with someone who committed a criminal act to get that assistance. IE, an illegal alien. Anyone who needs help should go and get help. We all pay taxes for this kind of help and from what the OP said he or she definitely deserves the help. you pay taxes dontcha?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

buster2010

MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by buster2010

Many, as in most jobs don't even have paper applications to fill out any more. A library computer is only available for an hour per day for most places. A computer with WiFi capability is more like a necessity, but then you are at the mercy of the hackers.

No matter what one does, there is somebody one does not see nearby to take advantage and abuse for profit. Most of the time it is a bank, protected to do it's dastardly business by a cop, stupidly supported by some dumbass who somehow is naïve enough to trust anything is a simple as it seems at first glance.

We are all being taken advantage of, and blame those who have less power than we perceive ourselves to have.

Now I kind of see where all of those zombie movies come from....

Then you have an hour a day you can fill out apps then. Home internet access is not a necessity.

It is a necessity

work all day = after hours

Online banking, Online shopping, Online job hunting, Online dating, Email and social media for networking, Entertainment, Advice and support

the list goes on anything that you cannot do when everything shuts 9-5 is down to the internet

sure cut out the luxury part and you still have a myriad of things you simply cannot get done without it

1 hour free in a library just does not cut it

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

When we were kids, food stamps made the difference from eating biscuits everyday to having decent nutrition. My mom was embarrassed but she used them anyway to feed my brother and I. Eventually things got better and we got off them but they did help our family in time of need.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Whats wrong with eating biscuits everyday? ;p

I miss my grandmas homemade biscuits and gravy. I make it from time to time.
Never seems to be as good as hers though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join