It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got food stamps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

METACOMET

I got food stamps

...as well as 47 million other people living in the US. You are not alone by any means.

If you can, imagine driving all day, every day, for 31 days. That relentless line of people standing heel-to-toe passes by at 60 miles per hour for an entire month. When you have reached your destination 15,500 miles away, the 47,000,000 people you will have passed is the number of people lining up for a meal every day in America's breadline, also known as food stamps.

1.75 = feet per person in line
47,000,000 = people on SNAP
82,250,000 = feet of breadline
15,577 = miles of breadline

Everything is fine, though.
and that is in the richest happiest nation on the planet remember you have never had it so good and the real figure maybe 50 million drive on nothing to see here

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

spacedoubt
Internet access is no longer a luxury.
I think the whole, "if you can afford the internet you don't need food stamps" Is One of those Hannityisms, or Limbaughisms, to get the far right liberals that listen to their show fired up. Yes, I said liberals.

anyhow. Do your best with what you have. Do not deprive yourself of basic human needs, and that is more than just food. And most of all, good luck on your studies. Learn to do what you like (and can make some money doing).

The internet is not a necessity. If you need the net that bad go to your local library they usually have internet services that the public can use.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Many, as in most jobs don't even have paper applications to fill out any more. A library computer is only available for an hour per day for most places. A computer with WiFi capability is more like a necessity, but then you are at the mercy of the hackers.

No matter what one does, there is somebody one does not see nearby to take advantage and abuse for profit. Most of the time it is a bank, protected to do it's dastardly business by a cop, stupidly supported by some dumbass who somehow is naïve enough to trust anything is a simple as it seems at first glance.

We are all being taken advantage of, and blame those who have less power than we perceive ourselves to have.

Now I kind of see where all of those zombie movies come from....

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie
your on food stamps, yet you can afford what ever the cost of your internet service provider charges.

What makes you think he has an ISP? Just because he posted here, you jump to the conclusion that he has an ISP? I don't have an ISP.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

It is amusing how so many here in this place we come to in order to "Deny Ignorance" jump to conclusions about some things.

Like I said before, not completely clearly...if one can find free WiFi, one can get online. I have an old computer and can do most of my hardware and software fixes myself, a waterproof hardigg case to carry it, stuff for backup and spare parts...But being at the mercy of those pesky hackers has taught me a lesson as far as how there are so many to take advantage right nearby.

A reasonably effective computer can be gotten for free at times, or very cheaply. Effective anti-virus and malware protection are kind of pricy though, not having protection tends to be a bit more pricy.

I would go to "hacker school", that might just be a good investment considering how there are so many "surfing naked", as I frequently term it...Only because I have been snagged by hackers in the past. And now the damned banks don't even reimburse you for unauthorized transactions initiated by hackers without a really big fight, and they still won't give all the money back anyway.

Anyway....

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I too get food stamps, first time in my life. I didn't want them at first because of the stigma that goes along with it and the stereotyping which you can see on here even but I also didn't want to go without food!

I lost my job when I became pregnant and my income paid for food and stuff for the house. I only made about 100 bucks a week but it helped and my husband pays all the bills and he is overseas!

I was getting $88 a month but they just raised it to $250 for the next 3 mths. I was completely shocked when I got that letter in the mail. I know I'll probably lose them with my next review now that I'm married but they knew my husband (recently married) paid for everything because when I filled out the form I put down his name under who paid the bills. He then had to write a letter stating what he paid every month for me and send it in. I know a few who lied on their application and it irks me to now end. I could have lied but why? I think it's wrong when people lie to get assistance. Anything is something and we are grateful for it. I didn't plan on losing my job because I was pregnant and becoming pregnant was just as a shock as losing my job because I was told I couldn't have kids. So a lot all at once for sure!

I never applied for food stamps before because I too knew others needed it more. Would it have helped me before? Sure but I knew there were families who needed it more than I did. Now though I am thankful for what I get. I stock up and buy things on sale. I check the weekly ads and do my shopping around those. I get the most for the money I get and it lasts. It will be hard when I don't get them anymore but I'm trying to stock up now so it's not so bad.

Food is darn expensive now and I cook a lot from scratch but even things like veggies are getting pricey. If i could grow my own I would, that response drives me nuts from people. Not everyone has the environment to grow full on gardens. I can grow herbs and that is about it. I don't have room to grow much of anything else, if I could I would. My mom has a huge garden and gives me what she can when it comes in.

For now I'll take the help I get and be thankful.

Getting assistance sometimes is just the boost some need to get ahead. I see nothing wrong with that.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

muse7

Look at this this way my friend

You are paying the state it's taxes, in return YOU ARE ENTITLED to receive some form of safety net program in case you fall in a tight spot like yourself.

THANK YOU!! This is what i say when people get all high and mighty about people on assistance. I mean haven't I PAID into this system since I was 15 and working?!

A lot of wingnuts love to generalize and make it seem as if everyone receiving food stamps is a lazy moocher with 10 kids, and that simply isn't the case. A big majority of food stamp recipients are people just like yourself, people who are working but yet don't make nearly enough to support their family.

Agreed!! I know a few who abuse the system and it irks me but I also know those who don't and are just like the OP and myself. They work but just don't make enough. It's sad when you work 40hrs a week and can't afford to feed yourself! Also many people's situation has changed with the economy tanking, something MANY seem to forget. I know a couple people who made great money but lost their jobs due to lay offs and are now on assistance and living pay check to pay check where before they were "well" off compared to most.

Don't be ashamed
edit on 9/22/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by buster2010

Many, as in most jobs don't even have paper applications to fill out any more. A library computer is only available for an hour per day for most places. A computer with WiFi capability is more like a necessity, but then you are at the mercy of the hackers.

No matter what one does, there is somebody one does not see nearby to take advantage and abuse for profit. Most of the time it is a bank, protected to do it's dastardly business by a cop, stupidly supported by some dumbass who somehow is naïve enough to trust anything is a simple as it seems at first glance.

We are all being taken advantage of, and blame those who have less power than we perceive ourselves to have.

Now I kind of see where all of those zombie movies come from....

Then you have an hour a day you can fill out apps then. Home internet access is not a necessity.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
To all those that look down at the OP and others like Blah in their situation:
"You cant really understand another person's experience until you walked a mile in their shoes"

In other words, until you know whats going on in their lives, how DARE ANYONE look down at them for applying for public assistance, and like Blah said, esp when they've PAID INTO IT!!

What REALLY irks me, was when I was still in the Army, you had young families struggling to pay bills eith the crap pay lower enlisteds get, and STILL HAVE TO APPLY FOR EBT!!!!!!

AS far as the OP's internet access goes, who's to say he's NOT going to the library and using their computers to surf jobs, and post here? How do we know he's not using a neighbor's internet access?
I believe the op said he is planning on going to school, guess what? 90% of college classes ARE ONLINE.

OP, I wsh you the best of luck and hope things turn out for the better for you. Keep your head up, stay positive, stay focused, and learn to love Ramen Noodles!!! (LOL) You can find lots of ways to prepare them

edit on 9/23/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
There`s something seriously wrong when people who work and pay taxes need and qualify for government assistance,and that is why a lot of people don`t even bother to work,they get more money and benefits by NOT working.
This is ninja corporate welfare,taxpayers subsidize the low paid employees so that the corporations can make bigger profits.This is why I always say that if the government is going to give you something TAKE IT because if you don`t take it they will just give it to big corporations in the form of tax breaks or grants.

The government never gives tax money back, if everyone stopped getting food stamps what would the government do with all that money? would they give it back to the tax payers? NO! they would spend it or give it to someone else.

Just think of the food stamps you are getting as a well deserved tax rebate for the taxes that you paid.
After a year of collecting food stamps you will get all your taxes back that you paid for the year,they are just giving you back your own money that you worked for.
It doesn`t make sense to make people pay taxes if they qualify for government assistance.They will get all that money back, but nobody ever accused the government of having sense.

I guess it`s all a mind game, the government takes your money in the form of taxes and then gives it back to you in the form of government assistance, this way the government makes it seem like they are doing you a favor and you should be grateful and beholding to them.
They lower your self esteem and dignity by giving you back your own money in the form of government assistance,mind control.

edit on 23-9-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Yeah!, I want to be one of those administrators that sits around and sees that all of those EBT cards are filled up right on time for a paltry $71,000 a year salary, via laborer eliminating software..... bla bla

I read recently that there was a vote by some guys somewhere claiming to have the authority to cut food stamp funding by 30 some odd billion dollars, or was it trillion?. OK, so they still have the revenue coming in through taxes or whatever, they cut funding as the sniveling little greedy wild animals asked them to through their stupid opinions and selfishness, but now where are they going to put that 30 some od bazillion dollars?.

This is a classic example of "be careful what you wish for, you might get it", a majority of people in the U.S. are stupid, just think what your economy will look like without all those people buying food with EBT's, the food not sold to them will be sold to you at a higher price to make up for disposing of the surplus by selling it to other countries at a discount.

A lot of what is said here would be very unsafe to say to one's face, and a bunch of you are buffoons online, while probably actually using your mommy's computer without permission.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You can buy a 3 month sim on amazon for broadband Internet for around £12 which is ideal if you don't download as it gives you 3gb. Internet is not a luxury anymore more of a thing not to be without.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie
your on food stamps, yet you can afford what ever the cost of your internet service provider charges. even if your on one of the cut rate ten dollar service plans, you could take that ten bucks and
buy a couple of loafs of bread, or at some stores 20 cans of beans, peas, corn. or two gallons of milk, or countless other food items. you don't need the internet, but you do need to eat.

Unbelievable...The guy is on the Bones of his ass as it is and you are questioning how he can a afford a means of communication, Maybe not getting a lick at the plate is not enough for you. Maybe you would have him on his knees begging for food or even worse stealing it...Some People.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Dude, it must be understood that society is literally a thing that causes retardation. That being said, one should never be surprised at the stupid stuff one reads online. Anybody can spout their stupid meaningless, uninformed and ruthless opinion.

I would really like to see what some have to say in person who blab this stuff, I'm sure they would be very quiet and soft spoken people to meet without their "Online Barrier" to protect them from any real response to the stupid things they sometimes say.

Anyway, I am in kind of a ranting mood today so please, nobody take offense. If you are offended, PM me, I'll be happy to meet in person and apologize, unless you run your mouth...

LOL

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

3 things that are always need in society IT Technician, Lawyers and Doctors, the rest is a hit and miss. and that does not mean a job out of collage either.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie
your on food stamps, yet you can afford what ever the cost of your internet service provider charges. even if your on one of the cut rate ten dollar service plans, you could take that ten bucks and
buy a couple of loafs of bread, or at some stores 20 cans of beans, peas, corn. or two gallons of milk, or countless other food items. you don't need the internet, but you do need to eat.

How much does it cost to use the internet at the public library?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Plumbing can be had for an apprenticeship if one is able to do the grunt work in the beginning, all one has to do is seek sponsorship.

Everybody drives, anyone with half a brain with enough reading comprehension to understand a shop manual can repair almost any system in a motor vehicle.

I have done many different jobs, from electronics maintenance at Sterling Hall of University of Wisconsin (look up what's in the basement there, that's where I was), to working as a scrub tech in an operating room.

I prefer to do odd jobs like rebuilding the top end of a KZ1100 like I'm doing now, $400 for about 5 hours actual work.

I'm not lazy, I just hate being exploited.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BayesLike

The college is on the other side of town from my job, right now I live close enough that I can ride my bike to work in 10 minutes, it's easier to bike all the way to school a couple time a week than it would be to ride my bike to work 5 days a week from the dorms/school. I live with 3 roommates where I'm at now and that makes rent about the same as student housing would be I think.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

We'll according to the republicans you are a lazy good for nothing parasite that should work 2 jobs if you want to eat instead of living off the hard work of the rich. Same for healthcare. Bush suggested a medical savings account. Right.

So let's cut food stamps and healthcare but how dare you consider eliminating subsidies to the oil industry who makes more profit than any business in the world. It's pathetic.
edit on Mon September 23rd, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think in the not-to-distant future, internet access will be a public utility like gas or electric. Sure, you CAN live without electricity, but it's not really something most people would enjoy. I wouldn't be surprised if government sponsored internet access is a reality someday. Having the government provide internet access is a huge can of worms though...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join