It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating gluten free and organic for cheap?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Need ideas folks.

Having just recently moved to another state, I had to walk away from my garden. We also had to leave our frozen and refrigerated items behind due to a 3 day drive. This is adding a bit to our current food bills.

I also have celiacs which means nothing that contains wheat, barley or rye, and gluten free alternatives can get a bit pricey.

We are also big into organic and GMO free and prefer not to eat processed food.

I just made a huge pot of stew and the ingredients ran close to $30 but should last a few days plus freezing some for later.

$12 for 2lbs of stew meat and veggies and spices I would normally had in my garden.

So I am looking for some new cheap ideas such as creative meals that use beans rice and potatoes.

Here is one of my favorites.

1lb ground beef
2 cups of rice uncooked
2 cups kidney beans cooked
1 jar tomato sauce
1 can or 1 cup chicken stock.
2 cans of corn
2 cans greens beans

Fry up the hamburger meat in a 6 qt frying pan
Then add the rest of the ingredients. Do not drain the corn or green beans.
Bring to a boil for about five minutes and then cover and reduce heat. Let simmer until rice is done.

It makes a large amount, hence the need for a 6 quart pan. I usually freeze half and serve the other half.

edit on 22-9-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
In no way trying to be a smart ass but have you Googled? I bet there are some great sites out there. Try organic gluten free recipes and I bet you can find a ton of great options.

Here's The First Hit I Got

Good luck! I'm sure some members will have some great recipes too.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thanks, I actually have that site bookmarked, it is a good one.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

The guy in these vids annoys me, but these are some great recipes, and they're pretty inexpensive.
You can substitute other beans for the favas if they're not available in your locale.

Healthy Bean\Veggie Recipe

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

Thanks! I actually found the guy hilarious but I can see it getting old after a few videos.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Buy a meaty soup bone and boil that for hours with some celery, onions, cabbage, a clove of garlic, a couple of spuds, a little red pepper or tabasco sauce, and a bay leaf. Pepper corns and salt to taste, a little bit of vinegar helps take minerals and other stuff from the bones and cartilage. strain the vegetables and meat out of the stock and eat your veggies and meat. meal one Now you can take some stew meat and add it to the mix with more veggies if you want. The stew meat has less nutrients than the soupbone had though. The idea of adding some veggies is to keep the soup boiling at less than 185 degrees so some of the vitamins do not fall apart.

I make a huge pot of soup for about ten bucks, I take some of the meat off the bone after an hour and a half and cool it and add it back to the mix after straining the base out with new veggies and spices added. The soup I make could feed six people supper and there is enough left over to have for a lunch for two people.

Living on ten bucks a food a day, including a fish fry every two weeks at the restaurant, is what my wife and I are striving for. It costs a buck to make a medium size pasty, as long as you don't make it too meaty. That is a good meal.

I can't eat much bread but can eat some Country Rye bread that is made using sour dough practices. When the dough rises overnight, the phytases in the whole grain rye break down the glutens and I have no problems.
edit on 23-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join