It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has NASA Developed Instantaneous Communication Technology for its Rover Program?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks, I was wondering if that was a rule or not. Not sure if i can fix it now.

True, unless you are a physicist it is difficult understand most of these papers.

I didn't think QM could be used for communication either but if there is a way to physically perturb one side and measure the state transfer then instantaneous data transmission could be possible as long as the possible outcomes on the observed side are not random- which it is supposed to be but I wonder what happens if the observer of the coupled qubit state has knowledge of the type of perturbation occurring on the resonator end.

best
sjorges

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sjorges2002

Just do it right on your next thread, I wouldn't worry about fixing this one, and it's probably too late.

The data transmission IS instantaneous.
So, you have the data right away. But you have no way to interpret it until information is transmitted at the speed of light telling you what the data means.

So if you were on Mars and got a quantum teleportation message instantly from Earth, you'd still have to wait 10 minutes or so for a light speed transmission from Earth, which would then allow you to interpret the message you got 10 minutes ago.

So even though it's instantaneous, it's still no better than light speed since you can't interpret the data without the light speed information. Nobody has found any way around this yet.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

intrptr

sjorges2002
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Are you 100% sure they haven't

They have actually. But only in laboratory conditions, not in space.

faster than light transmisions

No, the author of the article just butchers the science as usual. Nothing is traveling FTL. I was going to link the Los Alamos link that gets the science right, but it's been taken down.

I am looking for sources that get the science right and can't find one. The radio wave will reach the destination at the same time as light will if traveling through a vacuum. Once you start messing with mediums we are no longer talking about travel through a vacuum, and thus Einstein is not negated. In fact relativity theory is very much in play.

It is shown that relativity theory indicates that these superluminal signals can be reflected off of a moving frame causing the information to arrive before the signal was transmitted (i.e. backward in time). It is unknown if these signals can be used to change the past.

arxiv.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Agreed- but in pretty much any medium light will travel slower than it will in a vacuum. By doing some tricks its possible for light to travel faster than normal in a particular medium- other than vacuum. Maybe the article intprtr linked was about some new solid state device or dielectric medium that speeds up signals on a circuit board?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join