It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Bye Google

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Is that statement backwards compatable?

heh

Misfit

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Google is currently going thru a major change at the moment.

Whether it changes for the better, I do not know.

Everything should be clear in around 3 months with their "new and improved" look and feel

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Goodbye, Google. I'm looking for a search engine, one that'll show the good, the bad, and the ugly. If I want my news sanitized for my protection, I'll watch the local ABC affiliate.

Hello, blinkx!

I haven't noticed any censoring of *anything* with this engine.

[edit on 11/14/2004 by sandge]

LL1

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun
I've noticed the quality of searches drop since the summer.

This I have noticed as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlabamaCajun
I've noticed the quality of searches drop since the summer.

Me2 - about 3 months after a spate of coverage saying Bush was demanding that Google reformat (or whatever the right phrase is). ...The issue is that the Bush administration had been editing and purging government information and sites like crazy - to prevent journalists and other people from catching the "contradictions - but original text was maintained in Googles caches. ...By summer it was clear that the new rules went well beyond purging the caches.

Welcome to the Bush Reich.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If the anti-semetic sites are removed from the search results, then why not the ant-islam sites?

Google's top five shareholders:
Brandes Investment Partners, LP 16.00%
Gallagher Holdings Ltd 13.39%
Legal & General Investment Mgt 3.92%
Standard Life 3.14%
Barclays plc 3.01%

Brandes Investment Partners, which recently also aquired Compaq computers, is an investment advisory company, so they are investing on behalf of many small investors.

Informative article on Google going public.

Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin's letter to prospective shareholders "An Owner's Manual for Google Shareholders." outlining their determination to maintain google's original principles.

Regardling "googlee.com", websites will often buy up domain names that are similar to the original name to ensure users are directed to the site even if they mispell or make a typo (in this case an extra 'e'). and to inhibit imitators. "gooogle.com" will also direct you to the original google site.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
well, i tried metafilter for abu gharib photos as a litmus.
this is what i found, an army spokesguy speaks out....
link here

Mod edit: tried to shorten link - couldn't

[edit on 4/21/2005 by Gools]
tried again

[edit on 21-4-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
A good alternative to google is Metacrawler.com. Best search engine out there IMO.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I hadn't heard of Metacrawler.com, I'll have to check that one out. Is it possible to use a 'homemade' search engine to search the net? I have seen alot of shtml tags that you can use to search the web but they usually link up to another search engine already on the net.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
I hadn't heard of Metacrawler.com, I'll have to check that one out. Is it possible to use a 'homemade' search engine to search the net? I have seen alot of shtml tags that you can use to search the web but they usually link up to another search engine already on the net.

Home-mades are possible, but they are quite time comsuming search process. My coding sucks so I didn't even bother try to write one.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here's an update on the google demise that I found interesting...

beta.news.yahoo.com...&printer=1
Google Inc. is experimenting with a new feature that enables the users of its online search engine to see all of their past search requests and results, creating a computer peephole that could prove as embarrassing as it is helpful.

Activating Google's "My Search History" service, unveiled Wednesday afternoon at labs.google.com..., requires users to create a personal login with a password. Users of Google's e-mail, discussion groups and answer services can simply use their existing log-ins....

But privacy rights expert Pam Dixon is worried the service will make it easier for mischief makers, snoops and perhaps even the government to get their hands on a user's entire search history.

"It's really a bad idea," said Dixon, executive director of the World Privacy Forum. "If you need to keep track of your past searches, I recommend using a notebook. It would be a lot more private and a lot less risky."

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ya know, has anyone actually ever used Google's Advanced Search option? If you want relevance for what you're searching for, use that.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandge

Hello, blinkx!

Have you downloaded it, or are you using it asis?

I so dislike google, yahoo is not much better. Copernic is a bit better, but I get a lot of old links.....

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
google blows. everytime i search, its vague and slow. usually sends me to sites that just want to sell me something. MSN wasnt much better till recently. I still like Yahoo search.

In general, the internet sucks now. This is about all I do on here now, besides ebay and some video sites. Everyone else wants me to buy something. sucks

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Type beheading into the google search engine.

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
come here
www.breakfornews.com...
and then click on the first link on the right and it will bring you here
wagnews.blogspot.com...
"You have to pity the poor deluded Canadians and the Chinese."
That's a great way of starting a story.

Sites not Relevant as far as conspiracies go. waste of time.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
They are going to start advertising as well now, and once they become dependent on advertising dollars, that's it for a "free Google".
www.fortune.com...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
*bump* For relevance.

Google went down recently. Rumours of hacking or installation of government-sponsored monitors on their servers are about...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Make that oil industry and government sponsored monitored.

Google censors.

And - it's happened again. Earlier today, I got Google results on searching

+oil OR gas +"seismic lens" OR "seismic lensing" +amplification OR amplify

Just now - NO results. NONE. The string is blocked, or disappeared, or whatever happens in computersearchland.

This happens whenever I post any kind of serious expose.

Anyone up for a protest?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join