'The rainbow belongs to God': Anti-gay US pastor sets sights on Sochi Olympics

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
'The rainbow belongs to God': Anti-gay US pastor sets sights on Sochi Olympics

When President Vladimir Putin recently banned “homosexual propaganda” in Russia, he joined sides in a new global culture war: a struggle to stop the march of gay rights abroad even as advocates wave rainbow flags in America. Now, as the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics approach, both sides are bracing for unrest — and an American pastor is taking credit for the law that started it all.

Scott Lively is a hero to some, a demon to others and a joke to still more. From his home in Springfield, Mass., he runs Abiding Truth Ministries, a church dedicated to combating “the homosexual agenda,” and Holy Grounds Coffee Shop, where the faithful gather for java and Jesus. Lively also sermonizes overseas, promoting his books — most notably The Pink Swastika, which traces the Nazi Party to a gay bar — and portraying gay love as a “dark force” in human history responsible for the Inquisition, American slavery and the Holocaust.

Last month a federal judge allowed a first-of-its-kind lawsuit to proceed against Lively that alleges the pastor persecuted gays in Uganda and committed a potential “crime against humanity” — one that contributed to a bill that would have made homosexuality an act punishable by death. And yet the grey-haired 57-year-old has refused to quiet down.

I'm pretty homosexuals aren't responsible for the Inquisition, American slavery, or the Holocaust. Geez!

Further

...his beliefs about gay people: They’re dangerous predators, even killers. And they caught this gay “disorder” through “an evil game of tag,” a chain of abuse in which gays recruit kids into sodomy just as they were once recruited. In this way homosexuality spreads like “a social cancer,” he claims, until nothing remains of the Christian world.

If he loses his lawsuit he could be prohibited from spreading his message abroad, a terrible precedent for other anti-gay crusaders. However if he wins, he emerges stronger than ever, the self-described “hero” of an expanding fight to restore “godliness to society,” as he puts it – or else “pull as many people as possible into the lifeboat before the ship goes down.”

Rainbow

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I saw a CBS interview with Cher this morning. In it she explained she was invited to perform in Russia during the Olympics but declined because her homosexual following helped her since the early days. Point is, discriminating homosexuality has even been re-examined by the Pope recently.Washington Post So if the leader of a government wants to determine what is best for the country he better consider all elements within said country.

edit on 22-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)
edit on 22-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: spelling
edit on 22-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sounds like the pastor has some serious repression going on.

But hes right about one thing; gays dont own the symbol of the rainbow. Its horrible how its been hijacked to such an extent in our current society. It seems it simply cannot be used anymore to represent anything other than being gay, unless you are under 6 and dont know any better.

I dont want to equate it into the hijacking of that "other" symbol that was around for thousands of years before it was recently corrupted by some group and now is a symbol of the corruption... but the extent and level of hijacking appears quite similar in both cases.

edit on 9/22/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

Excellent rebuttal post. In keeping in the same vein, your signature is also excellent. BTW...I have four Siberians at home. Woof!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
If that pastor was any further in the closet he'd be in Narnia

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

CaticusMaximus
Sounds like the pastor has some serious repression going on.

But hes right about one thing; gays dont own the symbol of the rainbow. Its horrible how its been hijacked to such an extent in our current society. It seems it simply cannot be used anymore to represent anything other than being gay, unless you are under 6 and dont know any better.

I dont want to equate it into the hijacking of that "other" symbol that was around for thousands of years before it was recently corrupted by some group and now is a symbol of the corruption... but the extent and level of hijacking appears quite similar in both cases.

edit on 9/22/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)
The rainbow has only been "hijacked" because most people are afraid of what homophobics will assume about the rainbow user.

Me, I don't care. I'm hetrosexual and have a rainbow coffee mug that I use, publicly (insert old ATS smiley face),
with impunity. My wife likes rainbow accesories, both my son and daughter do too! (they are both over 6 y/o 23 and 20 respectively) All are hetro none are homophobic.

My father had a rainbow coffee mug just like the one I use and he was not gay either. Why this particular style coffee mug?
It's big, looks cool and is an FTD "pick me up" mug meaning it was a thoughtful gift from someone.

To everyone out there...... Please keep in mind the "rainbow" is a classic 70s icon and belongs to EVERYONE!
Everyone who's not hung up on societal inhibitions and phobias is free to enjoy it! (insert old school ATS thumbs up here)
No matter it be on coffee mug, bumper sticker, beach towel, ice tea glass, ashtray ENJOY!

edit on 22-9-2013 by grubblesnert because: clarification
edit on 22-9-2013 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Insane. This whole Putin thing, the Olympics, and rainbows have me very uneasy. It sounds stupid but I see a strange shift in cultural outlooks towards non-hetero sexuality. The pinnacle is Putin and I've seen it since he announced Russia's renewed ignorance.

We have a "can-do-no-wrong" perception we are supposed to have of other cultures that allow us to see past certain transgressions but that perception normally reserved for looking upon 3rd-world nations and their desert-hillbilly ways. But... when it's a powerful nation full of white folks like Russia, it makes people confused when they start spouting something that is so obviously socially backwards. Now, you have Republicans confused because they are starting to like his alpha ways and you have liberals not knowing what to think about any of it.

Is gay bashing going to become "cool"? Are hipsters going to start running around calling jocks "fags" now? It's so freakin' weird and I think this coming Olympics is going to be quite ugly. I mean... it might get really bad.

Cosmic911
reply to post by MysteriousHusky

BTW...I have four Siberians at home. Woof!

Is that even legal?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I peed myself...a little!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Rainbows belong to everyone.

And I vote demon.

new topics
top topics

join