It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US nuclear bomb near-miss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hi guys

This is about as close as it got

Possibly the Bay of Pigs was touch and go as well, but just what else don't we know ?

This was before I was born and only just released, here's a thought for you all, how close to never existing were we my friends ?

A four-megaton nuclear bomb was one switch away from exploding over the US in 1961, a newly declassified US document confirms.

Two bombs were on board a B-52 plane that went into an uncontrolled spin over North Carolina - both bombs fell and one began the detonation process.

The document was first published in the UK's Guardian newspaper.

The US government has acknowledged the accident before, but never made public how close the bomb came to detonating.

The document was obtained by journalist Eric Schlosser under the Freedom of Information Act.

Schlosser told the BBC such an explosion would have "changed literally the course of history".

The plane was on a routine flight when it began to break up over North Carolina on 23 January 1961.

As it was breaking apart, a control inside the cockpit released the two Mark 39 hydrogen bombs over Goldsboro.

One fell to the ground unarmed. But the second "assumed it was being deliberately released over an enemy target - and went through all its arming mechanisms save one, and very nearly detonated over North Carolina," Mr Schlosser told the BBC's Katty Kay.

Only one safety mechanism, a single low-voltage switch, prevented disaster, he said.

Makes you think doesn't it ?

Link to source

Remember to kiss your loved ones good night

Cody

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Just throwing out a conspiracy here Cody.....(after all, it is ATS)

What I find unusual about this information coming out at this time, is the fact that it came out AFTER Lindsy Graham's comment on a nuke hitting South Carolina! There was a firestorm of questions to his office about WTF he meant by saying that in the days after his comment. NOW, nothing is being said at all and we have this bombshell dropped on us???

Yea, I know, it is a stretch for sure. But with all of the lies we are being told, I just thought I would bring that little conspiracy to add to your OP.....

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thread already exists: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 22-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: emoticon

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Yeah, that was a big messup....someone probably messed up and forgot to trip that remaining switch. I wonder who they wanted to get rid of in that area, Kennedy wasn't going there till October. I suppose someone got canned because it didn't blow. Think about it, how could three safeties malfunction.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Nothing really new,

It's common knowledge. I've known about this since at least 2006.

It was the external safe and arm switch that was still in the safe position. Which is a perfect example of why the US implements the "one point safe" system on all our nuclear weapons. Nuke Weapons Safety

Because accidents happen.

There was the Titan 2 accident, Thule Greenland, we lost one somewhere in PA as well.

But, it's always good to remind folks.

Fun Fact: Did you know that Russia still maintains that they have never had any type of nuclear weapons accident?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by cody599

Just throwing out a conspiracy here Cody.....(after all, it is ATS)

What I find unusual about this information coming out at this time, is the fact that it came out AFTER Lindsy Graham's comment on a nuke hitting South Carolina! There was a firestorm of questions to his office about WTF he meant by saying that in the days after his comment. NOW, nothing is being said at all and we have this bombshell dropped on us???

Yea, I know, it is a stretch for sure. But with all of the lies we are being told, I just thought I would bring that little conspiracy to add to your OP.....

Always happy for an ATS twist to be thrown in

Thanks for putting it out there

Cody

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

cody599
only just released

Incorrect. As far as I know it was reported around when it happened. What was only recently reported was exactly how close it was (2 of 3 safety mechanisms failed). All in all the safety measures did prevent the catastrophe, so all is good. Things shouldn't have gotten this close though!

I would be living even if that bomb did explode, not all of us are from America, my friend.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by salainen

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

cody599
reply to post by salainen

new topics

top topics

join