It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5 stages of climate denial are on display ahead of the IPCC report

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is a pretty well organized description of what we see from global warming deniers on ATS./

www.theguardian.com...

Stage 1: Deny the Problem Exists

Often when people are first faced with an inconvenient problem, the immediate reaction involves denying its existence. For a long time climate contrarians denied that the planet was warming. Usually this involves disputing the accuracy of the surface temperature record, given that the data clearly indicate rapid warming.

Or by cherry picking data, by looking at a single event, and comparing changes since.

Stage 2: Deny We're the Cause

Once people move beyond denying that the problem exists, they often move to the next stage, denying that we're responsible. John Christy and Roy Spencer took this approach by disputing the accuracy of global climate models in The Daily Mail and The Christian Post, respectively. Spencer was quite explicit about this:

Or they come up with wild theories that have no scientific backing, like the whole solar system is warming, it is not.

Stage 2b: Consensus Denial

In Murdoch's The Australian, Andrew Montford took a different approach to deny that we're the cause of the problem, attacking the expert consensus on human-caused global warming. Specifically he attacked the Cook et al. (2013) study finding 97 percent consensus on this question in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

At this point, I think there is probably a conscious decision to deny what one does not want to believe. Some people would rather not face the reality. I can understand this.

Stage 3: Deny It's a Problem

Once they've progressed through the first two stages and admitted global warming is happening and human-caused, contrarians generally move on to Stage 3, denying it's a problem. Lomborg and Ridley did their best Tony the Tiger impressions in The Washington Post and Murdoch's Wall Street Journal, respectively, arguing that global warming is 'Grrrrreat!' (or at least nothing to worry about).

I also think this is also a coping mechanism.

Stage 4: Deny We can Solve It

In his editorial, Roy Spencer bounced between the second and fourth stages of global warming denial, also claiming that solving the problem is too expensive and will hurt the poor. In reality the opposite is true.

This one is where I am. I don't think we can fix this problem. It is too late, and more than anything, the political will is not there. The only thing to do at this time is to prepare for what is coming.

Stage 5: It's too Late

Stage 5 global warming denial involves arguing that it's too late to solve the problem, so we shouldn't bother trying (though few climate contrarians have reached this level). Unfortunately this stage can be self-fulfilling. If we wait too long to address the problem, we may end up committing ourselves to catastrophic climate change.

IMO, if we want to address the problem, then we have to be realistic about what we can do at this point. Getting enough people to wake up and face this reality is, again, IMO, the first step.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I think GLobal Warming propaganda was imposed so much on the people, it's more likely that they want to convince us a problem exist.

No global warming since 16 years. Since the 2000s, worldwide temperatures dropped 0.4 degrees Celsius. Another drop like that and you'll get to pre-1940 temperature. Yet another drop like that, and you get a mini-ice age, since our temperature will match 1800s.

Global Warming is not the problem. It's avoiding global cooling. The 1816 global cooling was a heck of a problem for crops.

edit on 22-9-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Being that your claims have been proven wrong so many times, with shipping lanes opening up that cross the Arctic Ocean!

I would like to know, do you think your level of denial could be a coping mechanism?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Ah. The Arctic Ocean is Opening Up. Conveniently exactly at the spot where Big Oil companies want to dig for untapped resources.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
How does this fit into global warming?

Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I know for sure that humans have an effect on the environment. Being that many people do not want to address this problem, it makes it to late to fix the problem. We need to take real action now, lowering consumption of things we do not need. We need to combine trips to the store and quit flying all around the world. We need to look at the environmental impact of what we do on a personal basis. We ship all sorts of things all over the world, accentuating problems. Buy local, don't buy anything you really don't need....Now I probably just made the terrorist list for saying this.

None of this necessitates taxation. We will not change though, people are conditioned well. It will take more than mother earth to fix the problem, it has solved similar problems before but Mother earth actually likes us, one of her best creations that somehow went astray. We try not to hear her anymore, we block the communication because of our desire to make money off of her or from wanting to acquire more than we need. God is the creator of mother earth and he does not feel sympathy for such a destructive race, he will take care of business shortly.

S&F...... Good OP

link   
reply to post by swanne

That would be all the way around the entire Arctic Ocean.

I guess you aren't aware that the oil companies are the people behind Global Warming denial propaganda.

The oil companies are the ones telling you Global Warming isn't real, and want you to go back to sleep.

link   
reply to post by Fisherr

Hm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

poet1b
The oil companies are the ones telling you Global Warming isn't real

No, I don't care about what Exxon thinks. I hate their oil anyway, it's not performant, it pollutes water, it block sunlight and render air quality as bad as a sewer.

No, it's more logic that tells me that GW isn't real. Climate change is, but I seriously doubt it's global warming. It's more like Global Hesitating, or Global Drunk-walking.

rickymouse
We need to take real action now, lowering consumption of things we do not need. We need to combine trips to the store and quit flying all around the world. We need to look at the environmental impact of what we do on a personal basis. We ship all sorts of things all over the world, accentuating problems. Buy local, don't buy anything you really don't need....

I agree. Well said.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

It is called cherry picking data.

2012 set the new record for Arctic Ice minimum. 2013 is still the sixth lowest ice minimum, possibly for ten thousand years or perhaps a million years. That 2013 is 60% larger than the minimum in 2012 shows how small the remaining Ice was in 2012.

It is not that hard to look at the data and see this reality, but then again it is much easier to cling to denial.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

poet1b
reply to post by Fisherr

It is called cherry picking data.

Global Warming too cherry-pick data, you know. Raw data can be screwed by both sides.

Ever heard of "Bias compensation"? It's a process in climatology which basically allows "scientists" to legally add a few degrees to the true, raw data.

The hockey stick graph was subjected to many analysis. But of course let's ignore that! Talk about cherry-picking...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

That would be all the way around the entire Arctic Ocean.

I guess you aren't aware that the oil companies are the people behind Global Warming denial propaganda.

The oil companies are the ones telling you Global Warming isn't real, and want you to go back to sleep.

Really? You might want to ask Al Gore about the millions he made selling Current TV to Al Jazeera, whom is owned by the by the oil rich Saudi family in Qatar???

Not to mention the energy Al Gore uses to heat and cool his mansions?? The fuel he uses to fly around the world?

When the climate change alarmists practice what they preach, I just might give them a listen......

For now, all I see is "Carbon Credits" being used to funnel what wealth the poor and middle class have left, right into the pockets of those whom are most guilty of taking advantage of our planet!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I thought climate change, whether warming or cooling was a natural cycle of this planet. Man may be responsible ever so slightly for accelerating it right now, but we have no control over mass volcanoes, or any other natural disaster.What irks me, is that the government knows this because they have a gag order on all the scientists they employ, so that WE know nothing of it, and accept , or are given no choice but to accept global warming as fact.
It's obviously a money grab via carbon taxes and "energy efficient " appliances, green cars...blah blah blah. It's STILL consumerism just with a different agenda driving it.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

We could use a whole lot less energy, by getting rid of treaties that arrange for cheap chit to be made on one side of the planet by slave labor, designed to fail, and shipping that junk to the other side of the planet to sell to people on credit to enrich a few at the expense of the many.

That would require going back to market economics, but sadly brainwashed masses would rather live in denial and ignorance.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Step 1A - Blame it all on Al Gore. I call this the programmed zombie state.

I often wonder if these right wing radio show have some sort of carrier signal that turns people into mindless zombies who repeat propaganda lines like parrots.

Carbon credits, that is another one of the key talking points.

I agree that the carbon credit idea is a scam. This would not be a solution in any way, just another scam to enrich the bankers.

There are other solutions.

I like what the Japanese are doing right now.

www.nytimes.com...

Unlocking the Potential of ‘Flammable Ice’

Hydrate-containing sediments are found in large amounts around the world, both under the sea and to a lesser extent in permafrost. If they can be tapped safely and economically, they could be an abundant source of fuel, especially for countries like Japan that have few energy reserves of their own.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Fisherr
How does this fit into global warming?

Record return of Arctic ice cap as it grows by 60% in a year
www.dailymail.co.uk...

arggg! first off that's from the daily mail. second, it's been debunked over and over. the ice is thinning not growing and that's a fact. it's only been posted over a dozen times here and each time the FACTUAL information has been ignored. sorry but the amount of ice is still less than we've ever seen even though during it's growth period it grew more than last year.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

No, this is not a natural cycle.

Denying global warming at this point is like denying that the Earth is round, and orbits the sun.

Global Warming has brought us to temperatures not seen for over a million years.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
great post once again. i have read these stages before.... i'm not sure where. it makes a lot of sense to me.

S&F

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

LOL

Show me one "SOLUTION" that doesn't involve the "Carbon Credit Scam"

The Carbon Credit Scam and unlimited funding for research is what this is all about.

By the way, have you heard of the "Infolurker Affect"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What you are seeing is the "Infolurker Affect" I Told you all about this weeks ago ... And I publicly claimed my scam... err... I mean "solution" to this problem.. Don't know about the "Infolurker Affect"? See, The Earth's Magnetic field is weakening: news.nationalgeographic.com... OK, here is the plan... the magnetic field is changing due to mans use of electricity (electrical production and the transport of electricity worldwide is disrupting the natural magnetic field of the earth!).... Now, we can get a coalition of scientists to hit the government up for millions for research (I get 5%) and have Al Gore make another movie (with me not Hansen) and if we preach this well enough we can make a crap-ton of money just on the books alone.... Now, if it goes really well after that, we can then press for "electron credits" and "electron Cap & Trade" scams. Then an international court to "punish" those who do not comply with paying us to prevent this disaster and doing what we tell them in the name of the environment. I hereby repeat my claim this scam ... err, I mean scientific discovery and disclosure of the greatest threat to mankind ever, publicly and originally on the internet on 1/11/2009 and we will call this the "Infolurker Effect" going forward! We will make a mint by taxing every kilowatt of electricity produced in the WORLD! This is almost as good as the Co2 scam and nobody has claimed it yet so I am.. LOL! (Yes, the UN will gladly assist us in this department, we can give them a portion of the money to line their pockets and they will support us 100%) Scientists, DO NOT link this to CO2 scam please we need to be independent here and make sure we have a "New" man made cause of this imminent disaster (electrical production and transportation over power lines sounds pretty good, oops, I mean THE ELECTRON SCIENCE is indisputable!). No use sharing our new disaster with the Co2 clowns when we can start a whole NEW fear mongering money maker for ourselves and WE will not make our money since they have cornered the Co2 fear market.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

See posts above that already points out needed solution.

Engage brain, oil regularly with knowledge.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join