It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church Members Mistreat Homeless Man in Church Unaware It Is Their Pastor in Disguise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hi peeps...

I am not religious myself as I have my own views and perceptions on things. But my mother is a devout Christian. She has told me of the Christian Way. Helping those who are in need. And she is very proud of that. I have emailed her this article to see what she makes of this.

This certainly would have been a very interesting service. And I wonder if the Pastor was saddened by the reactions of his fellow Christians.
Pastor Jeremiah decided to disguise himself as a homeless man and enter the Church were he was due to lead a service infront of 7 - 10,000 members. What a good lesson for all involved. Many Christians are happy to preach to those that follow other religions or have no religion. Yet they do not practice their own beliefs in everyday life.

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning.

He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food – no one in the church gave him change.

He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit in the back.

He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such.

When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation.

“We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek.” The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.

ireporterstv.co...

Certainly a little food for thought...

Peace
Fluff
edit on Sun Sep 22 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quotes IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Mod Edit: Please see this post...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-9-2013 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This is AWESOME. God bless that Pastor. I hope it starts the fires of repentance in that congregation. We need to clean house before we can tell others how to live.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Someone posted that on Facebook the other day and I got the distinct impression, after having read it, that it was a made-up story.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
That was awesome!

I wonder how many congregants will resent him for "deceiving them". lol

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Thats the problem these days with religious people. They all act like they are better then others but they are JUDGING others. Thou shall not judge.
hypocrits

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Annunak1

Thats the problem these days with religious people. They all act like they are better then others but they are JUDGING others. Thou shall not judge.
hypocrits

Is that a judgement?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Kryties

Someone posted that on Facebook the other day and I got the distinct impression, after having read it, that it was a made-up story.

So what?

Although the story remains unsubstantiated and is likely to be just a religious parable created to illustrate an idea. The image does not show a Pastor Steepek, but rather an actual homeless man in Richmond, Surrey. Moreover, the only references to the alleged Pastor Steepek are those in the circulating message itself. The idea for the story may have been derived from the experience of Tennessee Pastor Willie Lyle, who lived as a homeless person for a week and later used the experience in a sermon to his new congregation.
edit on 22-9-2013 by YodHeVauHe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
IF that's a true story .... then it's fantastic!
I'd say that really got to the heart of Christianity.
Good for him! It was a sermon those attending would never forget.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Yeah it seems this story is fake :

Internet hoax expert Snopes.com recently took up the case of the undercover pastor and found the anecdote contains echoes of several others, including a Princeton University psychology experiment from 1970, the true story of a Tennessee Methodist pastor who lived as a homeless man for four days before delivering a sermon on the experience and a best-selling book published in the late 19th century.

Perhaps more tellingly, Snopes, as well as Hoax-Slayer.com, revealed the stirring image of Steepek was in fact a picture of an English homeless man taken by photographer Brad Gerrard and readily available on Flikr and Tumblr.

Gerrard describes the photo, originally uploaded to Flikr in 2010, in a Tumblr post:

I was walking down the street in Richmond, saw this man talking to someone, could see he was quite a picture in the making. On the way back, when he was free I had a short conversation with the gentleman and he agreed to let me photograph him. I liked the result. He was very friendly.

Although sites such as The Blaze and The Examiner have also voiced doubt over the veracity of the Pastor Jeremiah Steepek parable, the story is still being shared on the Internet.

The Huffington Post, too, failed to turn up any evidence of a Pastor Jeremiah Steepek independent of the parable, but if he does exist, we would love to hear from him.

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek Hoax? Viral Story Of 'Homeless' Pastor Is Heartwarming But Probably Fake

edit on 22-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Yes it looks fake but it's an interesting illustration of why fiction is often more powerful than non fiction. This is a good lesson for anyone who would say the bible is fake.

In another thread people were talking about cartoons having messages in them and people came in and said "you are just seeing what you want to see. It's just a cartoon." Messages are there whether from fiction or non fiction or from cartoons or from paintings or whatever.

So while I'm not a christian I do like many parts of the bible. Parts like helping other people out who are in need.

(seems like most of those feelgood posts on facebook are fake.)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.'

Attributed to Ghandi.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This is a very sad story but it is the truth these days this is were judgments stand in the hands of others instead were it belongs in our lords hands poeple take into their own this is why so many have stoped going to church

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

I would've paid good money to have been at that circus.I meant to write service but I will leace it as it is-mybe a subconscious "Freudian slip" as folks call it,though incidentaly I substribe to Jung.However to be fair,in the town where I live,there are Christians who don't stop at:I will pray for you Brother/Sister-but if they know the person in dire straits-will pitch up with a few bags of groceries,which is what Jesus would have done-for Christians like that I have respect.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If this story is true or not, it is what would happen. If someone did do that. Kinda sad actually.

Another poster had asked if the congregates were upset that they were deceived? I think they would be more upset that their perception was wrong, shameful.

Never judge a book by it's cover as my mother always told me.

Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I wonder - are the beggars of today different than those of the time of Christ?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

fluff007
Hi peeps...

I am not religious myself as I have my own views and perceptions on things. But my mother is a devout Christian. She has told me of the Christian Way. Helping those who are in need. And she is very proud of that. I have emailed her this article to see what she makes of this.

This certainly would have been a very interesting service. And I wonder if the Pastor was saddened by the reactions of his fellow Christians.
Pastor Jeremiah decided to disguise himself as a homeless man and enter the Church were he was due to lead a service infront of 7 - 10,000 members. What a good lesson for all involved. Many Christians are happy to preach to those that follow other religions or have no religion. Yet they do not practice their own beliefs in everyday life.

It is truly disgusting how these hypocrites behave. they think a homeless man has no rights to even exist; dude, I am really glad the global economic situation is messed up and those hypocrites who think they own the world for themselves will end up on the streets. Look at the sheeple in Greece and Spain, they're fighting for bread and looking for food in dumpsters. Way to go, most of these slaves were treating others the same way and they ended up looking for food in dumpsters, how pathetic.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

When and where did this happen?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Now I'm not a big fan of religion, but if you're gonna do it, do it good, like this guy.

props

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BristolStew

I do not know... I did a search for it ad found it was on other forums and on a couple of websites that I wasn't sure if they were legit or not.

And seemingly as a previous poster pointed out it is fake. However I think the story speaks for itself.. The moral of the story is a good one. Whether or not the incident actually took place...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hoax or not,

it is thought provoking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join