It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan for Iraq handover government scrapped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   
US and British plans for rebuilding Iraq were descending into chaos this weekend as officials admitted they had indefinitely scrapped plans for a transitional government and Spain revealed a gaping hole in funding for reconstruction.
Allied officials told leaders of the Iraqi exile community, who have flooded back to Baghdad that they had abandoned plans to allow Iraqi opposition forces to form a national assembly and transitional government by the end of the month.

Instead, say opposition sources who attended a Friday meeting with Paul Bremer, the Pentagon-appointed civilian administrator in Iraq, US and British diplomats announced they would remain in charge for an undisclosed period.

www.observer.co.uk...

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
US troops in Iraq are no longer being seen as liberators, but as occupiers - and incompetent ones at that. As Con Coughlin in Baghdad reports, goodwill gained from ousting Saddam has turned to resentment

The Iraqi businessman gives a conspiratorial chuckle and picks up the telephone. "Now, my friend, I will show you what is really going on with the family of Saddam Hussein." He consults a piece of paper handed to him by one of his aides, and dials a number in Damascus. After a few rings, a man's voice answers.

news.telegraph.co.uk...$sessionid$XBBRVYFCKKTCBQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2003/05/18/wirq118.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/05/18/ixn ewstop.html

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hi DragonRider was it not about a month ago that the US was telling the UN it could be in Iraq for as much as 5 years?

Later it implied perhaps as little as a year or something like that (I remember discussing that here extensively).

As far as the Syrians yes they will be embarrassed

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I get the feeling the only real use Iraq has for the US is A, oil production, and B, a forward base for further forays into other OPEC nations.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I understand how you feel Dragonrider but the truth is I tend to disagree. The only thing stopping us from not being dependent on exportation is Europe and Japan.

Besides the Alaskan reserves (which are substantial) there is ethanol and for the record such a project could be made regional (for instance specific to the central and East Coast).

What are your thoughts?

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Did anyone expect otherwise? Did anyone actually believe that there was a plan?
Like the "plan" in Afghanistan?
It's just buying time.
All nations get the government they deserve.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 08:21 AM
link   
[sarcasm] I'm so shocked... [/sarcasm]

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Damn

Dragon...agree with you there!

Not shocked though....many of my regiment are over there and we're getting very mixed views on what the hell is going on!

If they don't figure out what to do and soon, then there may be trouble ahead!

dom

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I was reading an article the other day talking about the limited breathing room that the coalition have to establish some kind of government. The writer was guessing that there were about 2 months left for the coalition to seriously win over the Iraqi people. If nothing is happening by then it becomes likely that the Shia muslims and other groups will band together and start opposing the coalition troops more forcefully.

I dunno if I believe that really, but I do think the 2 month timeline makes sense. If by that point we've not improved our standing with the population then we're going to have a very hard time creating a pro-Western government in Iraq...

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You may recall, Dom that Bush fils and his minions were adamant that no one would be creating any form of government in Iraq -except the Iraqis.
Who is "we"?

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The U.S lost control of this process almost immediately. The clerics and others are filling the vacuum and making their own arrangements for control.

I've been wondering. If they do eventually have a democratic election and the people vote in an extreme Islamic government, perhaps even along the same lines of the Taliban, what would happen then? Would we go back in a say 'I know it was your choice but you can't have them' or what...?

top topics

join