It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sea Organ & Solar Lights - Zadar, Croatia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hello Ats

I came across these two sites while watching youtube videos. This is amazing!

In Zadar, Croatia there exists an architectural instrument which plays musical-like sounds by means of the waves from the sea, the wind, and organ-tubes built under the marble steps.

Driven by wind and waves this organ creates notes at random. Despite the unpredictability of when notes are sounded, overall what is heard is surprisingly harmonious. This happens because the different organ pipes have been carefully tuned to only produce certain musical notes that sound good together.

The sculpture is seventy meters long and has thirty-five organ pipes built under the concrete; as you move along the promenade the sounds and harmonies change. The movement of the waves and wind push air in and out of the organ pipes to create the notes. It was designed by architect Nikola Bašić

Source

Near the same site as the 'sea organ', is another wonderful installation named the "Sun Salutation". Which is an incredible site!

The coastal town of Zadar, Croatia is home to a set of incredible public art installations that harness the waves and the sun where the waterfront meets the Adriatic Sea. Installed after the shore front's renovation in 2005, the "Sun Salutation" is a massive public pavilion emblazoned with a circle of photovoltaic cells interspersed with LEDs that burst into light when the sun sets.

Source

Very beautiful duo these two sites make together! I would love to experience this place in person

For anyone who cannot view the videos for any reason, here is a short slideshow of some pictures, of both sites.

Slideshow

Hope you enjoyed

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

Cool instruments, Ben Franklin would be proud!

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Thanks for posting, what an incredible installment, and it sounds like it runs itself, powered by the sea and sun, no cost. This kind of public art is so worth it, it inspires people and reminds them of the beautiful things that are possible with life. If I were rich, this is exactly the sort of thing I would fund. Its not as short term important as feeding the poor or something, but in the long term, its no less useful for mankind. Without inspiration we are lost.

peace, thanks for posting!

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thanks for a post that shows that occasionally mankind gets things right. What a fantastic piece of engineering and so enjoyable to watch and listen to. I am surprised more of this kind of innovative entertainment is not being set up around the world. (We do appear to have the huge wheels or 'Eye's in every town and I think I would prefer a solar and water feature instead).

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Hello Covertpanther!

This was wonderful to learn about - I had no idea of the existence of either of these installations!
It would be incredible to see them in person. Thanks so much for your thread!!

(Starred & Flagged this the other day...and just now getting back to respond.)

peace to you,

AB

new topics

top topics

join