It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pony up the money for DTV and convertors.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

outsider
Nothing will change for cable & sat subscribers.

huh, yes it will, they still have to pay more and they need to have a DTV or HDTV.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well paying more is always a given, but satellite is DTV already & with a setop box like mine you get the HD too. Again nobody needs a DTV or HDTV they only need a tuner that will decode the signals & many of them work for old analog TV's like mine. I'm sure there will be some $50 models the closer we get to the change over.

It's not like everyone has to go out buy a new TV and throw the old one in the dumpster.

The big change is the OTA (over the airwaves) channels where the analog signal will go away.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Well paying more is always a given, but satellite is DTV already & with a setop box like mine you get the HD too. Again nobody needs a DTV or HDTV they only need a tuner that will decode the signals & many of them work for old analog TV's like mine. I'm sure there will be some $50 models the closer we get to the change over.

It's not like everyone has to go out buy a new TV and throw the old one in the dumpster.

The big change is the OTA (over the airwaves) channels where the analog signal will go away.

- it's sad how misinformed people are.

To clear this guys satments up, YES YOU DO NEED A NEW TV.

The analog tv's CAN play the digital signal and the quality will be better then analog, but they CANNOT play HDTV. Thats for many reasons, one being the aspect ratio, digital is still in 4:3 just like analog, thats why digital isn't that much better, but high def is in 16:9 so you get a far better picture that is VERY noticable.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. Yes, it's true you cannot get HDTV on an old set as far as picture resolution etc.. but you can & I do get HDTV programming on my old set - it's just downconverted to a lower resolution. My box is a DTC-100.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I know they are giving out vouchers next year (2008), but I think me will just buy a digital tuned flat screen and not fool with the analog sets any more.

My dad bought a VCR combo with a digital tuner and gets all kinds of digital network channels now over the antenna. He says they come in great without cable.

I would like to see that without paying for cable or satellite. I live less that a few miles from network transmitters and still get a crappy signal over the antenna.

apc

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Even though this is responding to a three year old post (Murcielago), since it's been bumped...

No you do not need to buy a new TV if you don't want. DTV is not the same as HDTV. Cable and satellite subscribers will have to do nothing for the changeover. People with rabbit ears are the only ones who will have to purchase a converter box or a new TV.

I'm going the new TV route. By the time the changeover is complete LCDs will have halved in price and I'll be able to justify the expense to myself.

I didn't know there's already some channels being broadcast in digital...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
wallyworld had a poloroid 32 inch 720p that was computer compatible for 448 on thankgiving day also they had a 42 inch 1080p for 776 dollars the same day so prices are really starting to fALL NOW IF ONLY OTHER RETAILERS WOULD START DROPPING THEIR PRICES.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

As 'apc' said above, the changeover (happening in February of 2009) is to DIGITAL TV, not HDTV. Your regular TV will still work fine, but if you don't already have a digital cable box (many people do already), then you will need to purchase one -- or get digital TV service through your cable or satellite company, then they will give you the box as long as you keep the service.

Here's a website put out by the U.S. Federal Communications Commision (FCC):
www.dtv.gov...
and a wikipedia article.
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join