It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O.D.B./Dirt McGirt Dead At 35 (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Russell "Ol' Dirty Bastard" Jones, died in a recording studio this Saturday at 35 years of age, just two days before his 36th birthday. Founder of the Wu-Tang Clan, he was jailed for possesion of drugs in 2001, and was released in 2003

www.cnn.com
O.D.B., also known as Ol' Dirty Bastard, Dirt McGirt or his legal name of Russell Jones, was a founding member of the hit rap group the Wu-Tang Clan in the early 1990s. With his offbeat, unorthodox delivery, he segued into a successful solo career and released several hit singles.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

O.D.B.'s Wu-Tang Clan has since grown in popularity, outgrowing in fame its founder. Jones was perhaps best known for creating a scene during the 1998 Grammy Awards, grabbing a microphone after Puff Daddy (now P. Diddy) won the Best Rap Album award. He was wounded later that year in a robbery.

Although he was not particularly loved, instead chosing a much more uncouth lifestyle, O.D.B. was by all means well known, infamous even. Millions of urban and suburban children, most of whom have no idea who he really was, will outlast him, as well as the constant references to him and his lifestyle.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Damn, ya beat me....

RIP ODB

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
that's such an expected shame, I feel bad for relatives and friends of Dirt McGirt but he was on an obvious path of self destruction. He had talent but unfortunately his fate was decided when he became a crackhead. RIP ODB

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
35 just blows my mind. its absolutely incomprehensible to die that young. as you said, expected, but nonetheless, absurd.

DONT DO DRUGS, KIDDIES!

LL1

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Sad... RIP ODB... Very sad for his mother and family.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
*plays 36 Chambers*
*looks for WuTang Forever*

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
first off, worldwatcher, if your aviator is you, your hot and how did odb die? he just passed out in the studio?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Rest In Peace Osirus.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spew
first off, worldwatcher, if your aviator is you, your hot and how did odb die? he just passed out in the studio?

Down, boy, down!

the autopsy will take a few days, but i would assume it has something to do with having been shot and finishing jail time and rehab for drug possesion. neither of em very good for the heart.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Somehow on a shoe string budget I, along with a few good buddies flew to LA to go to the Rock the Bells concert.

For those of you that don't know, the summer of 2004 in San Berdino, CA was host to the biggest Wu-Tang concert ever. Every member of the Wu-Tang Clan was one stage, yes even ODB. It was the first time in 10 years all members were on stage performing. This is the same concert the recently released 'live' wu album got it's audio from. Also the same concert the recent Wu-Tang concert DVD footage is from. It was so huge that Redman actually opened for them.

Here are some pics I took of the concert. This is ODB's LAST public apperance before his death. Dedicated to O.D.B. We miss you already.

This was the line just to get in. Someone eventually climbed over the fence and unlocked it. You have to love people like that.

Redman opened for Wu-Tang. Won't see that again for sure. Of course his set was amazing.

Yes that is Sway and Tech introducing Wu-Tang. Notice all the cameras. What's MTV doing at an authentic hip-hop show?

Boom! Here is GhostFace and Raekwon exploding on stage.

RZA/Bobby Digital rocking the mic in his incoherent babble.

What concert wouldnt go off without Method Man?

And the man we all came to know and love.

[Edited on 11/27/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Like Mr. T said "Drink your drugs, don't do milk, and stay away from school!" and this is the reason why. Of course, who would remember him down the road if he didn't die young, that was Notorious B.I.G. (and Puffy's) ticket to fame.

In the baseball world, Daryl Kile has a decent career, but he dies in the night so they want to put him in the Hall of Fame. He won't be remember for his skills, just that he died too young...and that's the real shame here...

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
brilliant, simulacra. absolutely brilliant. nice shots.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thanks. I forgot to mention that the venue (a large airport hanger) has the thermostat to absolute 'Inferno-like hell'. People who climbed to the front row were passing out from heat exhaustion. They had a team of medics near the front of the stage just to take care of these people. So the blur in the pictures is actually from the steam and sweat from each person jam packed into the venue. It was hell, but worth it.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yeah nice pics.

About RZA and his "incoherent babble"...

RZA said:
You must know me, to understand me/but once you do, you realize I'm you...

new topics

top topics

join