It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack on Kenyan Shopping mall! Dozens killed, hostages held!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

Seems more like an invasion of their country... How many more people is the Kenyan government going to let them kill before they go in and take these bastards out?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

SajeevJino
Live Kenyan TV

Also

Guy Alexander in Nairobi reports that an assault has seemingly been launched at the mall. Commandos were seen massing outside the complex, and heavy gunfire and explosions were then heard. The assault was confirmed by a security source, he adds.

Gunfire and explosions heard

Thanks for the live link but just as a disclaimer unless you know how to speak Swahili is does no good..

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Well no one can seem to colonize Somalia, many have tried and many have failed. Kenya does not stand a chance, as for the link it should be in English within the next hour.

EDIT: Israeli forces are now inside the shopping mall, the lights have been turned off and the media is not allowed to cover the operation any further.
edit on 22-9-2013 by DeadSnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

From following this some last night after ATS Live, I kinda figured it was only a matter of time before a foriegn government SF arrived to take over. The Kenyans seemed unable to deal with it alone.

The US has a presence there as well, I dunno if they would have some sort of presence during this operation or not...

www.africareview.com...

A US Army brigade will soon begin training Kenyan troops as part of a major expansion of American military capabilities throughout Africa.

Plans call for teams of trainers from the Army's 2nd Brigade, known as the "Dagger Brigade," to be deployed to as many as 35 countries in Africa in the next couple of months, according to the Associated Press.

The team heading to Kenya will likely consist of fewer than 200 troops.

And the US Army units being dispatched to Africa will not be permitted to conduct combat operations without specific approval from the Pentagon.

But the US Africa Command (Africom) has recently added a rapid-response force capable of direct military interventions by American troops.

Africom head Gen Carter Ham revealed the establishment of the "Commander's in-Extremis Force" during a talk earlier this month at a university in Washington DC.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Africom oh there it is,

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
"Major" assault underway to end Kenya mall standoff

The assault, which began shortly before sun down, came as two helicopters circled the mall, with one skimming very close to the roof. A loud explosion rang, far larger than any previous grenade blast or gunfire volley.

Kenyan police said on Twitter that a "MAJOR" assault by security forces was ongoing to end the two-day siege.

"This will end tonight. Our forces will prevail. Kenyans are standing firm against aggression, and we will win,"

www.cbsnews.com...

Finally, their going in... I think the terrorist are suicidal, it will only end when they are all dead..

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I sure hope these animals aren't like the bastards at Beslan, Russia. They did much the same as this has been...but wired the area the hostages were in to insure no one came out alive. Surviving it was never a realistic expectation of the ones inside...and it wasn't until afterward the Russians learned the true horror of their misunderstandings to intention.

It largely established the doctrine of 'when in doubt, fight it out', as the longer suicidal attackers are allowed to remain in place, the worse and worse it becomes with absolutely 100% NO upside to not just storming the place as soon as capable forces are on scene.

I can say with factual certainty, Beslan has reformed some things about how American Law Enforcement approaches stand offs and invasion/take over type situations. I'd heard that much at a law enforcement/community awareness seminar I attended a few years ago on the topic.

My best wishes to all in Kenya as it looks like this is coming to an end, finally?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If this is true, the world really has divided by zero.

twitter.com...

The Twitter account of the terrorists.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

im not 100% positive on this but i think the isrelis have one of the most effective and fast moving counter terror teams set up to respond to this kind of thing in the world and i think they even have pretty good relations with Kenya

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

In 2006 Israel sent a search-and-rescue team to Kenya when a building collapsed. Eighty disaster and medical relief people left Tel Aviv for Nairobi, where people were trapped in rubble when a multistory building collapsed.[11] Following the Kenyan presidential election, 2007 there was rioting, and Israel came to the aid of Kenyans by donating medicine to the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret.[12] In 2010, Kenya began seeking the purchase of Israeli weapons, likely to include counterinsurgency systems and unmanned aerial vehicles for border surveillance.[13] In 2012, Israel sent troops to give assistance to Kenyan forces fighting terrorists who lay seige to the mall. They played a crucial role in securing the hostages taken, and restoring safety to the mall. [14]
so with that last line id say they are here to help kenya like they did in 2012
more importantly they could only be there because Israeli citizens are some of the hostages and they tend to respond rather quickly to such things

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

And it's an Israeli owned centre. Isn't it?

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

that i did not know but after looking into it i believe you are correct

www.nytimes.com... yep i guess they own at least the hotel if not the whole complex

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com... seems the hostages have been freed?

Kenya's military reported late Sunday that it had rescued hostages and secured "most parts" of an upscale shopping mall in Nairobi where al-Qaeda-linked militants armed with assault rifles and grenades killed scores of people in an attack and two-day siege. The Red Cross in Kenya said the death toll in the attack at Narobi's Westgate Shopping Mall was at least 68. The Kenya Defence Forces posted on its Twitter account that "most of the hostages hostages have been rescued'' and that four security forces had taken control of "most parts of the building.''

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

khimbar

twitter.com...

Okay, WTH?? Some of those tweets are calling real time movement from ON-SCENE. Perhaps the OP can help but ...what is the problem with Kenyan national resources on a thing like this?! The terrorists still have net/wi-fi access while everything is ongoing?! SAY WHAT!?

Umm.. I'm only feeling kinda good because Somali fighters are really primitive on almost all levels...so the idea of setting up IP cams across the street on all 4 sides of the location they are in for real-time ability to watch the watchers isn't likely...but damn..not for the fact they didn't appear to have active data streams and access to accomplish it. I hope some serious and honest debrief is done on this terrible thing to understand some of what has to be done differently.

Starting with the ability to black out communication as surely as electrical power has always been in such a case.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

was just watching the live link above^, they are investigating a report that 2 of the shooters are american...
some close relatives of the kenyan president are among those killed at the mall
edit on 22-9-2013 by research100 because: added a sentence

the other thing I read was that they have 15 shooters cornered in one part of the mall
edit on 22-9-2013 by research100 because: added sentence

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Just an FYI but there are pics out now from inside the Mall and of the scene. I'm not linking, as is customary for me on stuff like this and I'm sure not making a special thread about just that. However, the site they are on is Cryptome. Many know it well and will know how to find them from there.

They are crime scene photo quality...and kids died in this. That is to say, please please please, for the love of all that's decent in humanity...don't post the graphic ones, if any... but, it gives those who choose to seek it, the added perspective photographs bring.

* Most are not of the victims but of the inside during stages of the assault, by the look of things.
edit on 22-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

DeadSnow
reply to post by kimish

Dude small hand guns can be licensed so long as the individual has a certain amount of cash in his account, $50,000 or so. Guns have never been legalized here.

That didn't stop the terrorists - it just made everyone else defenseless.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

This is the same Al Qaeda group that recently 1/2 a million in aid from the British.

Britain's foreign aid has fallen into hands of al-Qaeda, DfiD admits

Almost half a million pounds of British taxpayer-funded aid and equipment has fallen into the hands of al-Qaeda, the Department for International Development has admitted.

DfID refused to specify what the lost supplies were, but an aid industry expert said the value suggested a “huge amount” of material that could keep the terrorists going for a “fairly long time”.

They finish the article by stating the British beleive the group set everything they stole ablaze. Mmk.

'Most of the hostages' rescued from Kenyan mall siege as FBI begins investigating claims of Americans' involvement

Kenya's military said on Sunday it had freed most of the hostages from the mall after a major push to take back the shopping center.

"Most of the hostages have been released, and the Kenya Defense Forces has taken control of most parts of the building," Kenyan military spokesman Colonel Cyrus Oguna told the television station KTN.

He did say how many hostages had been held or freed.

In an effort to end the two-day siege, Kenyan officials had announced late Sunday that they plan to launch a “major” assault against the attackers still inside the upscale Westgate mall.

The militant Islamic group al-Shabab, based in neighboring Somalia, claimed responsibility for the attack via Twitter, saying it was in retaliation "for the lives of innocent Muslims" killed by Kenyan forces leading an African Union offensive against al-Shabab.

edit on 22-9-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

research100
reply to post by stormdancer777

was just watching the live link above^, they are investigating a report that 2 of the shooters are american...
some close relatives of the kenyan president are among those killed at the mall
edit on 22-9-2013 by research100 because: added a sentence

the other thing I read was that they have 15 shooters cornered in one part of the mall
edit on 22-9-2013 by research100 because: added sentence

Just read that,

Three of the alleged attackers are from the United States, two are from Somalia and there is one each from Canada, Finland, Kenya and the United Kingdom, according to the list.

www.cnn.com...

If this is true, why did they pick Kenya, and it is only a matter of time , this sort of thing will be here in the US, it will be all over the world, this is never going to end, never.
edit on 093030p://bSunday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
dont know if this is true

Al-Shabaab is claiming that there are American gunmen among those still holed up in the Westgate mall in a standoff with Kenyan and Israeli special forces.
pjmedia.com...
The Somali al-Qaeda affiliate tweeted a series of names on its latest account before Twitter against suspended the group. Al-Shabaab has been creating new accounts each time they get shut down but a movement of pro-Kenyan tweeters has been tracking down the new accounts and complaining to Twitter.

“We received permission to disclose the names of our mujahideen inside #Westgate,” their latest account tweeted.

They proceeded to tweet the names one by one, including Ahmed Mohamed Isse, 22, “native” of St. Paul, Minn., Abdifatah Osman Keenadiid, 24, of Minneapolis, and Gen Mustafe Noorudiin, 27, of Kansas City, Mo.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

khimbar

twitter.com...

"Long range missiles to arrive from Palestine any moment now".

I understand that many among the terrorists are from America. They're here. Stay safe my friends.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join