It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack on Kenyan Shopping mall! Dozens killed, hostages held!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Gunmen in Nairobi have opened fire inside one of the Kenyan city's smartest shopping centres in an apparent terror attack, with reports of at least 15 killed and dozens wounded.

The shooting began at the Westgate Shopping Mall at around lunchtime, and it was not immediately clear who was involved. The gunmen were thought to have taken seven people hostage, throwing grenades as they launched their attack.

A witness said that gunmen told Muslims to stand up and leave and that non-Muslims would be targeted.

SOURCE

Well I'm in Kenya watching this live on TV and it's been going on the whole day. A month ago JKIA (international airport) burned down, months after they discovered Oil in the region.

JKIA burns down

Oil in Kenya

What's your take on this ATS, MSN are crying out "Al-Shabaab", I'm calling BS....

IMO TPTB are creating regional instability in order to divide and conquer. It's always about the Oil.

Deadsnow.
edit on 21-9-2013 by DeadSnow because: edited to include links

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

At least 22 people have reportedly been killed after gunmen opened fire in a shopping centre in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.
At least 22 people have reportedly been killed in a suspected terrorist attack on a shopping mall in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.

Gunmen opened fire and detonated grenades inside the Westgate centre, a mall popular with expatriates.

Police chief Benson Kibue described the incident as a terrorist attack, telling the AP news agency up to 10 men exchanged gunfire with police.

A spokesman for Kenya's Ministry of Interior added: "It is a possibility that it is an attack by terrorists, so we are treating the matter very seriously."
At least 22 people were killed in attack, according to a Kenyan Red Cross official who spoke to AP.

Earlier, Abbas Guled, a spokesman for the charity, said: "The casualties are many and that's only what we have on the outside. Inside there are even more casualties and shooting is still going on."

Staff at a supermarket and a jewellery store were among a number of people taken hostage by the attackers, according to Nairobi-based journalist Abdi Osman Adan.
He told Sky News witnesses reported seeing the attackers "firing at any police officers who tried to approach the building".

Security forces were still trying to rescue those trapped inside the mall hours after the start of the siege, going from shop to shop to evacuate shoppers and staff.

Graphic photographs taken at the scene showed people with serious injuries being treated at a makeshift hospital inside a food court. Other images showed injured people being carried out of the mall in shopping trolleys, as well as upturned tables and chairs from where people had fled the shooting.

Elijah Kamua, who witnessed the attack, said the gunmen asked Muslims to stand up and leave and that non-Muslims would be targeted.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, although the Somali militant group al Shabaab had previously threatened to attack the mall.

Satpal Singh, who was in a cafe when the attackers struck, said he ran downstairs and was shot near the main exit of the mall.
"A Somali guy shot at me," he said. "He was carrying a rifle, an AK-47."

Another witness, who gave only his first name, Jay, added: "They were not speaking Swahili. They spoke something that seemed like Arabic or Somali."

In a message posted on Twitter, Kenya Police urged the public "to remain calm" and not to speculate about the attack.

"We urge you to stay away (from the mall)," they added.
Westgate is situated in western Nairobi and is popular with both foreigners and rich Kenyans.

According to the centre's website, it is the city's "premier shopping mall" and offers a "serene and safe enviornment away from the city centre hubbub".

It has more than 80 stores and features a waterfall with tropical gardens.

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "We are looking into whether any British nationals have been caught up in the incident and are ready to provide consular assistance.

"We are advising British nationals to avoid the area."

news.sky.com...

Only just getting this in the UK

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Damn them Kenyans. IF guns were banned in that Country...

I'm pretty sure things like this happen more frequently over there than we'd like to think. I was recently talking to a man from Sudan, he said it was soo bad in that Country that there was no wildlife, they all left due to the warring.

I say no one intervene, it's a travesty for sure, but intervening will do no good. This crap is going to keep happening regardless. The sad thing is, these attacks are probably carried out "In the name of God/Allah".
edit on 21-9-2013 by kimish because: grammatical error. you're welcome

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Civilization is dead. These people have proven that humans in general have learned nothing from their mistakes.

I lost respect for the Muslims when the decent ones among them failed to control the radicals.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Dude small hand guns can be licensed so long as the individual has a certain amount of cash in his account, $50,000 or so. Guns have never been legalized here.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I know a couple of people that were inside during the shooting and managed to escape after a couple of hours, they said casualties were standing at an estimated 70+, while fatalities stood at around 50.

There have been calls for people to stop giving further details until an official statement is made.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Ah, yes. Another example of Islam being the so-called relgion of "peace". No matter what I'm told otherwise, I see too many examples of this. Of course, we're told that only the "radical" factions of Islam think this way. Unfortunately madrassa schools teach that the Koran says all non-believers are no good and must perish. This way of thinking is shared among all Muslims.
edit on 21-9-2013 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

I'm sorry, that was my poor attempt at sarcasm. :/

Humanity is going on the downward spiral. It seems as though we, as a species, are regressing. But, that's a topic for another thread.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by UnBreakable

Religion is just the excuse. It's the desire to control others that drives the folks at the top who in turn use religion as a means to round up other petty psychopaths who desire power and control.

Islam isnt why they kill. It's what use to justify their killing. Replace it with Christianity, Buddhism or the Red Sox and it's all the same.

Same difference with cops. Instead of some god they use the law to justify getting their insecure rocks off by bashing in your head.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by UnBreakable

Yes, and they are taught to deceive. I forget the term used.
I believe that there are more radical Islamist out there then what we are told. And alot of those that aren't radicals fail to speak out or against the undermentioned. These two groups give the genuinely good Muslims a bad rep. It's a shame.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I kind of knew but threw it out there for the others to see.

It seems like they're trying the same Divide et impera strategy they used in Nigeria to take control of the oil wells. That's just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I think your two cent's are priceless. Land rights, land rights, land rights. It all boils down to the land rights, oil being part of that, a large part.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
granat? wth? wht they do war or terror??
muslim stand up non muslim stay????
how can they know witch one is muslim..only saying the muslim stand up!! what?? funny

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
A friend sent me this message captured on CCTV (They haven't aired this)

Look at all that equipment! It was reported that they had AK47's as well as AR-15's (Good luck finding one out here), grenades and enough ammo to bring down a house.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

wow, this is bad.....nothing on my tv (usa) but something will be mentioned eventually.,

cnn is talking about it now...at least 11 killed...an american in the shopping mall garage is talking to reporter on skype, she heard 3 shots , someone said get under the cars but driver told them to run to the stairwell in the opposite direction of the shots.

they hid there for an hour.

edit on 21-9-2013 by research100 because: added paragraph

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Looks like a shotgun in that particular pic, but with the quality its impossible to say.

Something bizarre about the clothing/armor/mask.
Terrorists generally don't need to hide their faces because they don't plan to get away. Robbers? Sure.

Just strikes me as odd.

CNN story: here
edit on 21-9-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I think you have posted this Article into the wrong forum!

Anyway, yes.... more problems spreading across more Countries with these 'Radicals'... where will it end? Unfortunately I don't see it ending anytime soon.......

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

DeadSnow

Gunmen in Nairobi have opened fire inside one of the Kenyan city's smartest shopping centres in an apparent terror attack, with reports of at least 15 killed and dozens wounded.

The shooting began at the Westgate Shopping Mall at around lunchtime, and it was not immediately clear who was involved. The gunmen were thought to have taken seven people hostage, throwing grenades as they launched their attack.

A witness said that gunmen told Muslims to stand up and leave and that non-Muslims would be targeted.

I went though that airport a few weeks ago and it was a mad house. Everyone in tents and basically little security. I was stuck there for 4 hours and it was extremely uncomfortable with the 1000s of people waiting for their flights all crammed into tight areas. I told the person I was traveling with that 10 armed men with grenades/guns could kill a 1000 people in a few minutes... I kept to back corner with an escape route established...

edit on 21-9-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
2nd
edit on 21-9-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I was thinking that too when i saw that photo!

Terrorists don't usually go for Uniforms but then again.... when we see Programs on TV or News about Somalian Rebels or Nigerian Rebels... they do actually have Uniforms!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join