It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia suspects al-Qa'eda link to Chechen suicide bombings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Russia's security services are investigating the suspected transfer of $1 million and bomb-making equipment from Arab groups linked with al-Qa'eda to the terrorists who carried out suicide bombings in Chechnya last week.

news.telegraph.co.uk...$sessionid$XBBRVYFCKKTCBQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2003/05/18/wchech18.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/05/18/ix world.html

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Al-Quida isn't one group, it is many. When Al-Quida strikes, many strike. Al-Quida is usually viewed as this clandestine group, but it is really just an observer and an advisor. The group is like a committee of groups that see a bigger and more united front aganist each others enemies. The groups that have links to Al-Quida are merely partners in collaberation, not actually members. Al-Quida instructs, plans, trains, and funds the operations of high scale. Those operations that use high explosives aiming at high death tolls, several times within several days, by several bomers, in several countries. That is the mark of an Al-Quida operation. The vastness, and the scale. The targets and the death tolls. We can look for proof all we want, but I think we all know the truth.

[Edited on 19-5-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
When reviewing the Chechen History since the commencement of hostilities one finds that they tried to gain control of the Belly of Russia.

The only real advantage to this (from the standpoint of maintaining control) is that they could be re-supplied by either
Afghanistan and/or Moslems in China.

As Abraham Virtue has made clear (thanks AV for your contribution).

Al-Qaeda is a large organization which may have in fact had very grand plans. Plans which involved controlling what is now Russian and Chinese territory, as well as the lands related to Africa.

At this point the problem that exist is can we really take Saudi Arabia seriously ???

[Edited on 19-5-2003 by Toltec]

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I think there may well be a connection between Al Quaida and the Chechens, although I think Russia is VERY interested in making sure there is such a connection in order to obtain US assistance in taking out Chechnya.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think that if anything, this will just make the 'War on Terrorism' more mandatory and complex. That is the key. To keep everyone in the dark. The intelligence cores of the world don't want us to know what really goes on. They don't want us to know that operations from intel agencies don't differ much from operations of terrorist groups.

Personally, I just see more lies and dies fly past the screens of our teles.

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   
While knowledge is power making the masses aware of what is going on does have its advantages. We have found mass graves in the Bosnia incident, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Lets be realistic here do you feel that same government which exposed Richard Nixon for what he did, wants what has happened in the countries mentioned to become a matter which is acceptable world wide?

Actually a connection already exsit (as far as I know).

The United States did provide inteligence to the Russian Republic, which resulted in the end of the battle at Grozny.

It�s very probable that the same inteligence was afforded to the Chinese and as a reuslt. What is today accepted as the three major world powers, are working together (loosely). To deal with what can be best described as Arab incursions into their individual respective interests.

My problem with those who feel differently is with respect to an alternative whatever that alternative may be (feel free to express your imagination).

To all concerned be honest

Do take into consideration those found dead to date.

[Edited on 19-5-2003 by Toltec]

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I don't quite get the last point of your post. Could you enlighten me???

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hey AV, Chechen rebels in their initial attempt to respond militarily to the Russian Republic did attempt to take control of what is commonly known as the
"Belly of Russia". These are specifically those countries which share a border with China (respectively).

Those efforts were thwarted as well as were whatever was done to make the battle for the city of Grozny so protracted (tunnel technology). My impression is Al-Quaeda attempted to take control of land, which in recorded history has been in the possession of the parties, which control it now.

What Al-Quaeda wants is control over the Arab world so it can return it the ways practiced a very long time ago.

Those practices will result in the treatment of people no different that what has been found in Iraq.

Many Arabs will die and more mass graves will be found if Al-Quaeda is allotted any degree of respect.

This issue is something the Saudi's (in my impression) do not at present understand.

[Edited on 20-5-2003 by Toltec]

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
"1984" fans, revise "The Brotherhood"

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
And we've all forgotten October's Moscow theatre siege, it appears.
That was Chechens wasn't it?

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Except, of course that it wasn't "Movsar Barayev" but Russian special forces who did most of the killing -and left no hostage-takers to interrogate.

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
And we had Zakayev arrested in Copenhagen and Putin blaming Makhadov etc etc.

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
And the Danes, of course, released Zakayev, and the Alpha Forces ended up squabbling about medals -and nothing very much happened, or changed, did it?

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
And only the year before, the Kremlin gangsters had accepted Zakeyev as a diplomat!
It's just a game of swap -"You can condone Israel's killing of Muslims there, if we can kill Muslims here."
Just the other day, Koh-Lin almost seemed to be condoning the Russian settlement forced on the Chechens. Perhaps he gave them a spare roadmap.

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Estragon in no way do I condone Russia's methods with respect to how it often deals with its problems. What I was pointing out was that in this case the Chechens did try to take control of the Belly of Russia.

It was something they tried early and is a cause for why today the hostilities exist.

In respect to what we see occurring today such an effort could have been part of a larger plan

new topics

top topics

join