It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contemporary Patrick Henry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Dear American People,

No man thinks more highly than I do of the patriotism, as well as abilities, of the men and women who make up this great and exceptional nation. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought of as disrespectful to my fellow countrymen if I offer, entertaining as I do, opinions of a character very opposite to many; I shall speak forth my sentiments freely, and without reserve protected by the freedom of speech endowed in me by my birth as a man, a child of humanity. This is no time for parties and ceremonies, glee or jubilation. The question before our great nation and people is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of individual liberty and responsibility - or that of unending dependency; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom to discuss and debate this crucial moment at hand. It is only in this way that we can dare to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offence, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the majesty of heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings, dictators, czars, or elected officials.

My fellow Americans, it is natural for mankind to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren of hope that never arrives till that hope transforms us into beings that cater to the burdens of a master. Is this futile hoping the role of wise men and women who find themselves engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are free men and women limited only to hope that our rulers respect our freedom and right to self determination, or can we, as individuals, conduct and rule ourselves without endless guidelines and laws demanded by elected officials or else find ourselves incarcerated in the very prisons we built? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so dearly concern their liberty? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit and life it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it, as an individual, as a free man who does and will always rule himself.

I have but one light by which my feet are guided; and that is the light of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know, “What has there been, in the conduct of the American federal government and her agencies for the last ten plus years, to justify those hopes with which the people of this great nation have been pleased to find satisfaction?"

Is it that insidious smile with which our petitions have lately been received by our federal government? Trust it not, fellow Americans; for it will prove a snare to your feet, a trap for your freedom. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss. Ask yourselves how this gracious reception of our petition agrees with these war-like preparations which cover our waters and darken our land. Are billions of hollow point rounds and tens of thousands armored assault vehicles accrued by the Department of Homeland Security necessary to a work of love and freedom for the people? Do we as a people have an inseparable right, as inseparable as the life in our veins, to privacy from the snooping eyes and ears of the government we supposedly rule? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled, that force and spying against us is necessary? Let us not deceive ourselves, my fellow Americans. These tools we are seeing put in place all around us are the implements of war and subjugation; and these tools are always, throughout the history of civilizations, the last methods to which tyrants resort. I ask, fellow Americans, what means this deadly and provocative assortment of weaponry, if its purpose is not to force us to the submission of tyranny? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Have we any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of domestic show of force and spying?

No, fellow Americans, we have none; and should there be a threat so great as to build a societal prison around us, we the people should be allotted every bit of knowledge to the data stating as such. To be sure, every nation has her enemies, foreign and domestic, but the enemy we should be prepared to face is the one we can already see; and I respectfully contend with no doubt of mind that the writing of the intent of these war-like preparations can be seen clearly in the deceptive and highly guarded agenda of our officials. In this dire hour of our nation, make no mistake, these domestic armies and spy programs are meant for us; they can be meant for no other.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
They are put forth and implemented to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the power elite residing in the District of Columbia, our great nation’s capital, have been so long forging and building; law after law, regulation after regulation, tax after tax, permit after permit. And what have we to oppose to these unjust wars and unfair restrictions and demands? Shall we try argument? Fellow Americans, we have been trying that for the last ten years. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to meek request after meek request and pitiful begging? What avenues to restoring privacy and confidence in the intentions of our government shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you my fellow Americans, deceive ourselves. Sisters and brothers, we have done everything that could be done, to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have demonstrated; we have protested, we have begged; we have neutered ourselves before the government, and have implored it to arrest the corrupt and deceiving hands within our federal agencies, legislatures, courts, and executive branches.

We have seen a president lead us into a war on bogus claims of WMDs. We have seen our law enforcement agencies knowingly providing weapons to drug lords and sworn enemies of our great country. We have seen our tax enforcers target fellow citizens because of their ideologies. We have seen military storm-troopers break down the doors of neighbors. We have seen proud ambassadors of our nation slain and the information regarding the slayings deliberately hidden by our government from the people. Our letters and communications to each other have been stored by prying eyes with hidden and concealed intent.

And through all these violations of our liberty our petitions to see them ended have been slighted; our protests have only produced additional spying and force against us; our begging has been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the government we so dearly wish to empower with trust and confidence. Having found our petitions unmoving to the men and women we have elected to represent us, after all these things, can we truly afford to indulge in the fond hope of peace and reconciliation?

Let me be clear, there is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free; if we mean to preserve from removal those immeasurable privileges for which we have been so long contending; if we mean not basely to abandon the right and noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves over two centuries to never abandon, we must fight! I repeat it, my fellow Americans, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of Hosts is all that we have left!

It is easy to believe the lie, my fellow Americans, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a government camera, microphone, and DHS armored battle vehicle surround each house? Shall we gather strength by inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance, by lying on our backs, and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Fellow AMericans, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. Millions of fellow Americans, armed in the right cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, fellow Americans, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, brothers and sisters, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, dear people, we have no choice. If we were brave enough to desire it, to fight for it centuries ago, it is now too late to retire from the long drawn contest deciding our liberty and freedom. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged and they are branded with letters like NSA, DHS, IRS, EPA, DoE, ACA, FBI, and CIA! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable; and let it come! I repeat it, my fellow American brothers and sisters, let it come.

It is in vain to extenuate the matter. The people have begged, “Please! Please! Provide us peace from your tax men, less regulation on individuals struggling for the simplest of success, more self privacy, freedom from brutal and unjust law enforcement!”; but there is no peace, privacy, or chance at uninhibited individual success. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the District of Columbia, our nation’s capital city, will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and unending dependency? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The above was inspired by a speech given by Patrick Henry at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia on March 23, 1775.

For the original speech, please visit:
www.history.org...

An audio re-enactment can be downloaded here:
www.history.org...

Another can be streamed at the first link through a player in the right hand margin.

Godspeed.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GenerationGap

That was a pretty awesome speech. I totally agree with it, and yet it some how still got under my skin. In a good way I guess, but still made me annoyed with myself first thing this morn. Due to pain issues, I'm pretty much limited to writing letters of protest (and sometimes a attaboy) to my Reps.

I can't physically protest (yet). My problem that I am wrestling with is how do I do my part when basically one of my feet is nailed to the floor and all I can do is walk in circles? I'm trying to heal, and it is a slow process but I ask you. What can I do now to help?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

First, get better, both in body and mind; and start with getting physically healthy as you can first, your mind will follow.

Second, you are already doing great by showing others who see the writing on the wall as well that they are not alone in what they are seeing.There has been a great effort to dilute the truth from the people. The truth is there, it's easy to see, but you must be willing to spend the time sorting through the subterfuge; simply be vigilant.

Third, spend time thinking of what love, respect, and honor means to you. Know how your heart formulates those principles; and then let those guide you. If you believe in God, find His love and let it define you. It may sound cliche, but honor, charity, love, dignity, and responsibility are essential cornerstones to a society seeking to be free and seeking to be free. Never let vengeance, anger, or hatred move you; live your life out with compassion and giving. These are all traits that have been marginalized and ridiculed; but do not let the deliberate demoralization of those traits in popular society demoralize them in you as an individual. You were born free, and you will die free; in that matter you have no choice; but you can choose to live free.

Fourth, it never makes sense to do something just for the sake of doing something. Have reasons for your actions; and again, let that be decided on positive principles like honor, charity, and courage.

Lastly, we will all recognize our calling when the time is right. It could be something like letting a neighbor being evicted stay in your apartment until the get their feet reset. It could be delivering PB & J sandwiches to a group of hungry demonstrators. It could be helping with a donation drive for a local charity making phones calls. There's lots of ways to help spread liberty. In order to have liberty we must also recognize that we must have responsibility. This requires not only be personally responsible, but also to allow those around to assume responsibility. This means recognizing those who deserve help; and not helping those who easily take help handed to them for granted. Charity is not free; and when receiving charity one should be humbled.

It's not about violence and shooting guns; it's about proving that as a society of individuals we can operate with out the threat of government punishment. Liberty is about people doing good because they are good, not doing good because you are put in prison or fined if you don't. So, be a good loving, encourage and inspire others to be loving, and liberty will follow. Do not follow men who preach envy, hate, spite, or vengeance; instead follow men who promote love, charity, and the courage to do so unabated. We get enough people doing that and we will be an unstoppable force of human nature!

I hope that helps, and I hope you get well soon and fear not; love always conquers when the right people are paying attention and not sitting around doing nothing! Liberty and freedom will prevail the only thing to decide is if you are on liberty's side or tyranny's side; once you've decided what liberty means to you, pursue it and disregard the haters begging for shackles and a free meal they can take for granted.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GenerationGap

I sympathize with you and agree.

I have been thinking about this for a long while and I believe it is now time to nip this thing in the bud. Not with violence but, but with the coordinated deprecation and elimination of official power and officials.

For a variety of reasons it cannot be from the top down so that leaves from the bottom up, that is, locally.

We can remove our extraneous officials gradually and peacefully with the simple mechanisms that are well within our capability through recall elections, town meetings, budget cuts, firings and in extreme cases legal action.

We probably will need to keep some of the apparatus in place but, really, not so much the more I think about it. I don't think our challenge will be where to stop but, how to begin.

This is realistic, doable and necessary.
edit on 21-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join