It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One thing never mentioned in pandemic senarios

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
The oine thing they never mention is that loss of "Brain power" a society would lose if a major pandemic happned. All of the Power plants, chemical factories and so and so on would lose all of the people needed to operate them and most would have major problems not to long after the event happned, if nobody is the to man the stations things would get bad pretty fast, im talking meltdowns, failsafes being crippled at chemical plants, toxic clouhs of chlorine and florine and other heavier then air gases floating throuhg the country, we would be in for some serious bad times people alot of peopl never think about the technical part of our society that would suffer greatly from a brain drain as the result of a major pandemic, anyway thats my two bits.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Presumably a pandemic wouldn't kill everybody like flicking a switch though? And workers would have plenty time to put facilities into safe modes if it became apparent that nobody might be turning up for work next week?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Excellent thread OP.

I think we would fare better these days because a greater proportion of society reads. I think it wouldn't take as long to get back to where we are because a lot of the info about bariny stuff can be found in books and online making it easier to get out of a future dark age than it was to get out of the last.

Saying that that ready flow of information could be responsible for dumbing down the general population so that they are less able to do research. IDK, I think there should be an 'underfround vault' in every country specifically for the best engineers, architects and other needed brainy ones regardless of whether or not they can afford the costs of such protection.

Also, I don't think there would be any need for oil, neuclear energy and the like because if the consumers were all dead they could consider one of the many methods of free energythat are being supressed by governments.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
You need to read Jack London's 'The Scarlet Plague'. I believe there is a thread on ATS on it and also you can listen to the short story on You Tube.

The story was written, I believe about 1912 and tells of a plague that begins in autumn / fall of 2013 and kills almost everyone on Earth. It follows a survivor and a few others. It is an excellent story that you will never forget and will have you thinking for a long, long time to come.

Please read it and.......I was going to say 'enjoy' but I don't think that would be the right word.....I think you know what I mean.
edit on 21-9-2013 by Elliot because: spelling

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Czulkang

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the thread on Jack London's story and you can listen to it on the link.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Dunno how much I allowed to say.

But from working in the Big Pharma industry the UK has plans to prevent such a thing.

Think "special" protection and priority treatment for those in top jobs.
edit on 21-9-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

crazyewok
Dunno how much I allowed to say.

But from working in the Big Pharma industry the UK has plans to prevent such a thing.

Thing "special" protection and priority treatment for those in top jobs.

That's just one of the perks of have the right kind of job or position. The politicians have always found enough money to take care of their own. Skrew the little guy, ther are too many of us anyway.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

To be fair there are not unlimited resources.

If you dont protect those in vital jobs then things will go from bad to apocalyptic.

If they spend all there time pumping resources into the jobless or low skill workers and let say all those a nuclear power plant die you got a massive problem worse than the pandemic!

Or if all the Sceintists and tecs die at the pharma company there will be no one to make the drugs to save the rest of you!

So it may seem unfair on the surface but there some logic too it.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

They would shut them down and there would be people there. It would have to be an insane virus/bacteria to cause a nationwide quarantine, even then they would probably quarantine in place.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think Morgellons Disease has reached a pandemic state but no one wants to acknowledge that it even exists.

It does exist, I have it. It robs you of your life and takes your whole being from you. The only thing it can't touch is one's soul.

I have been suffering with it for over 8 years; 5 years since I've known what I had. When it started moving on me then I learned what was wrong with me. There, to date, is no way to get rid of it. It is vicious and monstrous and makes one want to die. Most people when they get Cancer or some other disease just want to get better and live. With Morgellons there is no light, all you see is darkness cause you're too old to wait for 20+ year of research, and all you want is to die; that is for the first few years anyway.

I have tried so many things to try and rid myself of this horrific disease to no avail.
edit on 21-9-2013 by judytoo because: spelling

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Your concerns are important, and actually well-covered in pandemic scenarios. Scary, isn't it? ...Even the trend to robotics and computerization does not compensate for lack of capable staff.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

It may be a far reach, but in a worst case scenario hopefully there would be pre-existing trained teams of existing workers who somehow are given access to NBC suits & advanced vaccines. This could help if main worker groups shut down in sensitive facilities due to some illness, they would be on standby as soon as sign of true pandemic was on arise globally to be reinserted into sensitive facilities. Again maybe far reach but may help sustain...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Your not far off.

And thats a fact.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Spanish flu had a 2 - 3 % mortality rate and was considered a very bad illness but I do remember reading somewhere that any bug with a 5 % mortality rate could bring the world to its knees.

As for protecting 'special persons', there were some with the 'opinion' that the US troops who were healthy before they boarded the ships home after WW 1 but were given flu vaccines, became very sick on the way home with Spanish flu and spread it. True or not, I can't say, but it may not always be a good thing to be a 'special one'.
edit on 21-9-2013 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

The so-called "Spanish Flu" started in the US in army barracks - BEFORE the boys left for war. Flu vaccines were not being used at that time.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Painterz
Presumably a pandemic wouldn't kill everybody like flicking a switch though? And workers would have plenty time to put facilities into safe modes if it became apparent that nobody might be turning up for work next week?

Unfortunately he or she is correct. It is something governments are well aware of and are trying to plan for. Part of what you see in the movies is true, there are large numbers of key people from all disciplines who are already identified and have their marching orders already. They no where they will go etc. They have planned for these scenarios and actually practice them.

We use to run simulations all the time. It is why some people freak out about seeing some of these plans in motion like stadiums designated for evacuation or collection points. We learned allot from Katrina and Rita etc.
You can only isolate so many people however and 99% of society is left to fend for themselves at some point. This all depends on how bad the outbreak is. Many estimate it will bring us to near extinction when it happens just based on the past. Today it will spread so fast and quick it will be worldwide before we can even attempt to get a handle on it.

You can practice all you want but when it really happens we will be so overwhelmed so quickly we won't have much chance. I can tell you after just fourteen days with no power, the last hurricane i went through, that people were on the very verge of civil breakdown and lawlessness. The authority is quickly overwhelmed and were very ineffective.

Trust me, unless you have been through some serious natural disaster or war etc, you know they are right, it will not take much at all.

Best thing I can say is move out of the city if at all possible. Start there and get prepared.

The Bot

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Most reactors have a dead man's switch. Auto shutdown occurs if verification of adequate manpower fails.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
www.holyokeenterprise.com...:spanish-flu-of-1918-a-look-back-at-the-brutal-relentless-pandemic

The above newspaper article from a Colorado newspaper paints a picture of what happened during the Spanish Flu outbreak which seems to have affected more than half the world with a mortality of 2 -3 % but a much higher infection rate which left people sick with a long time if they survived.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This documentary series gives you a good indication of what would happen if the world's population is wiped out. Now imagine if you were one of a handful of survivors this is what the world would be like

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join