It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD to IMMORTALITY

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

You say it can be done? How can it be done?

I'm not actually that skeptical on the possibilities of bio-tech etc, I just think your outlined plan is flawed and foggy and there's likely far better ways for it to be achieved, that fit within realms of reachable understanding rather than just stabbing around in the dark with a semi-constructed weapon.

Am I deemed 'skeptical' because you claim:

First you must accept and believe...

So we must just accept and believe what you say without delving further? Sounds a bit like the premise of churches and governments for my liking. Science, understanding and endless possibilities i'm all for. Blind faith in the words of a fellow human, nah.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

AlienView
Think about it - Immortality is not for everyone. If you have decided you want to be immortal we will show you how.

How about dating other immortals. Surely having a partner for infinity must be part of it. Otherwise, there's not a problem, it's just a matter of being awake at the good times and being asleep during the bad times.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienView

Will absolutely upload my mind/consciousness and have an avatar when the time comes. Until then, I'll wait (im)patiently. Futurist FM-2030 had some amazing foresight about this - he predicted a computer consciousness back in the 1960s. Here's a video that highlights just a few of his views around transhumanism: vimeo.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
"Rise lord vader"...
That's what comes to mind when I think machine and immortality.

Would I do it? depends, if my family died in some horrific accident, then yeah, I would take my revenge out against the universe.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Arnie123
I would take my revenge out against the universe.

But you do that every time you go eat at Taco Bell. Just how much revenge do you need??

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

As long as they don't mess up my order, lol

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Who are you
Are you the same person you were 10 years ago? Are you the same person you will be 10 years from now?
You see even as an ordinary human being your consciousness, though apparently running in a liner way, is ever changing; Your awareness and paradigms of reality are ever shifting - So might a self sustaining calculating machine. All sensory awareness can almost already be duplicated by machine - and the machine can calculate better than its human creator - But you say it has no imagination and can not create independently of a 'human soul'? - Hey guess whose creating these machines, who gives them the ability to calculate [a form of thought]? Today we can re-create almost perfectly recordings of the human voice and images of the human body, organs are being designed better than the biological original - Is it really that far fetched to believe that a perfect, fully functional, and conscious, duplicate of yourself will one day be possible

edit on 1-10-2014 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Real life is hard enough. Why the hell would I want to live as/in a machine?

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Several issues I see with this approach... how does one precisely measure the molecular structure of the brain without disturbing it in the process of measurement? Quantum mechanics says that if you want to measure some aspect of a system with a high level of precision, you must lose information about other aspects of the system. I don't think it would be possible to copy a human brain with the level of fidelity needed without messing it up.

The other things is, even if you do manage to create an accurate enough copy of some guys brain, you can't just simulate it in a computer and expect it to talk to you through your desktop speakers. It would need to have specially designed sensory equipment and the data coming into the brain from those devices would need to be specially encoded to be compatible with the brain simulation. If it wasn't getting sensory data from the outside world it would quickly go insane.

Imagine if you couldn't see, hear, taste, smell, or feel anything. Would you even be able to think with no incoming data from the external world? It's not just a simple question of simulating a brain inside a computer, the brain also needs to have a body with eyes and ears and an ability to perceive the external world it exists within. It may be possible one day, but the quickest solution to building conscious machines is not to copy the human brain.
edit on 2/10/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I'd have no desire in being immortal, it doesn't sound fun. Would new people be added to earth population and then become immortal to the point of population overload.

I'm more curious in what happens after we die.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
-"Are you alive?"

-"Yes"

-"Prove it"

Copys of a copy, nothing more nothing less..
Or is it...

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Imagine if you couldn't see, hear, taste, smell, or feel anything. Would you even be able to think with no incoming data from the external world? It's not just a simple question of simulating a brain inside a computer, the brain also needs to have a body with eyes and ears and an ability to perceive the external world it exists within. It may be possible one day, but the quickest solution to building conscious machines is not to copy the human brain.

Helen Keller comes to mind [deaf and blind from birth, she eventually was taught through remaining senses to communicate and lived to write books], but of course some sensory input was possible. As stated earlier machine intelligence can already duplicate human senses and will soon be able to exceed human parameters - super vision, super hearing, super speed of thought. You can see that the real problem might be that its [the machines] consciousness might be so far superior to human that downloading a human mind into it might be meaningless - meaningless to humans but not to the machine. Maybe you and the naysayers are right, maybe Man was not meant for immortality and one day will be replaced by his creation of his super brain machine.

But maybe Man will get smart before then, and learn to ride the dragon before he is devoured by it !

As far as duplicating the human brain goes I have read some computer geeks are moving in that direction, others have different ideas - but they are trying to create truly conscious AI and I have read the Touring Test [a test to show where an AI intelligence can not be ditinguished from a conscious human] has already been passed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join