It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know of a winzip alternative?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Hello, computer people. I was using winzip to open zip files but now am unable to because it was a trial version and the time ran out. I can't afford to buy it so I was wondering if any of you know of a free alternative. I'm leery of looking it up on the web because I don't know what is actually good or what is actually a virus in disguise. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Google: 7-zip

Alternatively, you could try these: 10 Free Winzip Alternatives

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Agree with the others. 7-Zip is the best choice.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Has to be 7-Zip

Ive never seen so many people in agreement on this forum

edit on 20-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I'm old school and like winrar.
www.rarlab.com...

rar encryption is really strong btw.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Try winrar, with it you can create .rar archives and zip archives and be able to unzip and unpack .zip and .rar files.
Or if you are just downloading and needing something to unpack files try jdownloader.com very cool download manager that can automatically unpack .zip, .rar and many other files. It can also join .001 files as well as create packages. It's free too. Just make sure you uncheck the bloatware when installing.
edit on 9/20/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks, everyone. I didn't expect a reply so soon. I'll definitely check out the programs that you suggested. Have a great night ( or day, depending on what part of the world you're in).

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Definitely WinRAR. Does so much more than zip/unzip....

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Isn't the free download for Winrar not the full version? I know that's how it used to be. It used to annoy me every time i went to use it and it asked me to buy the thing. I remember the full version was pretty decent though.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I would recommend wiRar used it for many years

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
Isn't the free download for Winrar not the full version? I know that's how it used to be. It used to annoy me every time i went to use it and it asked me to buy the thing.

Correct. If you don't purchase WinRAR, it will have an annoying pop-up wanting you to purchase WinRAR that you have to click out of before you use the program. Every single time.

7-Zip doesn't have that restriction because it's totally free. Oh, and 7-Zip does most of what WinRAR can with its own 256-bit AES encryption.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

7zip as many have said. Open source, small app size, it just works, what's not to like. You can rar or zip. You can get a tiny bit more compression from rar I prefer to zip files double clicking to open files and view contents is well worth the tiny bit of compression loss.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Winzip... lol.... brings back memories....

i would have to vote for 7-zip, my personal favorite and free.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
7-zip, hands down.

but for crypto use truecrypt, and or GPG with at least a 2048 key.

-Ghostinshell

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
crypto note:

winrar in its lastest verison uses AES256 with sha256, which is ok. GPG keys use sha512
and, truecrypt also supports sha512.

Ghostinshell

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
winrar

www.rarlab.com

best one

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Either 7-Zip or WinAce. I mostly use the WinAce, there is infinite trial period and doesn't be annoying as free version like some things.

I found comparison between 7-Zip and WinAce.

www.downloadatoz.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
if i remember correctly.. winzip and winrar are what's called "nagware" meaning even after "free" trial is up it's still free with the exception that you get prompted with an ad every now and again to buy it then the ads go away but if you're willing to make a change i agree with everyone else.. 7-zip is a great alternative.

new topics

top topics

join