It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Important Image Captured by Hubble

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The title is from the page itself, it may sound a bit grandiose and Im not sure what else Hubble has seen but just WOW!!!!!!

Im trying to think of what to write to fill space here so its not considered a minimal post.

If you like space even a bit this 3 minute video is a must.

Truly humbling to watch Galaxies full of billions of stars glide by like tiny insects.

I dont have the vocabulary to do it justice, enjoy guys

the Most Important Image Ever captured By Hubble

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Aside from the female vocalist terrifying my poor kitty when I started the video, awesome video. I remember that picture when it was first released and it was wonderful.
Our universe is so full, large and amazing, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Pretty amazing !

From an empty space comes a huge surprise ! Neat stuff !!!

S&F !

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

IkNOwSTuff

And yet, paradoxically, at NO TIME do we actually get to see the "most important image" during the course of the video.
Either of them.

The video is talking about the Hubble Deep Field image taken in 1996.

One quarter of the way through the video, as it shows (supposedly) the image after it had been captured, the video actually shows part of the HDF-South, that is a similar image taken some years later.

Half way through the video, they describe the taking of another image, the Hubble Ultra deep Field, but due to the way they artistically, dramatically, zoom into the image, while rotating, the video makers have padded out the left and right side of the screen with FICTIONAL stars and galaxies.
You also get to see part ofthe HUDF for about 5 seconds a little later on, together with fictional padding.

And of course, towards the end of the video the 3D animation is of a simplified HUDF, not the actual thing.

Furthermore, the narrator makes an error in claiming that the HDF exposure was taken "over the course of 10 full days". This is not true.
The deep field image is made up of many images, and it took 10 days from start to finish, but the actual exposure time was only 30 - 40 hours (depending on wavelength).

There are probably good videos about the Hubble Deep Field, but this isnt one of them, being based more on "wow" rather than fact.

----------

Image below shows the same part of the HUDF.
Left = as shown in the video, with fictional stuff on the left.
Middle = the actual HUDF, from elsewhere on the net
Right = the simplified 3D animation model.

So in summary, the HDF is never shown, and the HUDF is only seen in part with plus some fictional artwork. But I'm sure the video makers were thinking "whatever, its only stupid stars and galaxies, they all look the same, nobodys gonna care, just show em lotsa amazing wow stuff."

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You sound like you know what your talking about, the fact you find this unimpressive blows my mind!!!!

I checked your links but all they were was wiki pages, can you link something that shows the universe in more impressive/humbling terms than what was linked in the OP?

Ill admit Im an absolute novice (ie simpleton) when it comes to astronomy, the great thing about that video was it gave laymen like me a great perspective of how insignificant we really are.
It would be great if you could link something like that but more recent or impressive?

Cheers for your input

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Alpha has a point. There can be some confusion regarding the various Deep Space images taken by the Hubble. I think the really key one is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (HUDF) which reveals the first galaxies that formed straight after the Big Bang: hubblesite.org...

The Hubble was pointed at a relatively small and dark patch of space, and the resulting image reveals around 10,000 galaxies. I think that's pretty awesome, and doesn't need any kind of fancy 3D video processing or tweaking to appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You are totally right. The picture in and of itself is both mesmerizing and makes the mind think BIG thoughts all at once. Truly inspiring without dolling it up.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

slip2break
You are totally right. The picture in and of itself is both mesmerizing and makes the mind think BIG thoughts all at once. Truly inspiring without dolling it up.

Is doling it up the correct word?
All I thought they were doing was giving a more accurate representation of the scope and scale of the Universe.

The 2d pic if anything, to me "dolls it up". It makes the universe look more pretty, compact and smaller than it really is.

The part where it shows the universe in a 3d way really put things in perspective for me, our planet, sun, solar system wouldnt even register as a pixel on the scale shown and yet look at the huge amounts of space between the galaxies!!!!!!!!!!

Can you guys seriously show me something more awe inspiring and accurate than that vid?
If so please share rather than just saying its unimpressive or dolled up

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I'm just glad you didn't post a minimal thread.

Excellent hook up OP, SnF.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

alfa1

IkNOwSTuff

And yet, paradoxically, at NO TIME do we actually get to see the "most important image" during the course of the video.
Either of them.

The video is talking about the Hubble Deep Field image taken in 1996.

One quarter of the way through the video, as it shows (supposedly) the image after it had been captured, the video actually shows part of the HDF-South, that is a similar image taken some years later.

Half way through the video, they describe the taking of another image, the Hubble Ultra deep Field, but due to the way they artistically, dramatically, zoom into the image, while rotating, the video makers have padded out the left and right side of the screen with FICTIONAL stars and galaxies.
You also get to see part ofthe HUDF for about 5 seconds a little later on, together with fictional padding.

And of course, towards the end of the video the 3D animation is of a simplified HUDF, not the actual thing.

Furthermore, the narrator makes an error in claiming that the HDF exposure was taken "over the course of 10 full days". This is not true.
The deep field image is made up of many images, and it took 10 days from start to finish, but the actual exposure time was only 30 - 40 hours (depending on wavelength).

There are probably good videos about the Hubble Deep Field, but this isnt one of them, being based more on "wow" rather than fact.

----------

Image below shows the same part of the HUDF.
Left = as shown in the video, with fictional stuff on the left.
Middle = the actual HUDF, from elsewhere on the net
Right = the simplified 3D animation model.

So in summary, the HDF is never shown, and the HUDF is only seen in part with plus some fictional artwork. But I'm sure the video makers were thinking "whatever, its only stupid stars and galaxies, they all look the same, nobodys gonna care, just show em lotsa amazing wow stuff."

Some things don't need debunked lol..

cool video snf

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The video is awe-inspiring, despite alpha1's valid points.

Here's a much better version of the image I posted earlier, resized directly from the enormous original size image:

Gigapan: www.gigapan.com...

top topics

join