It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: House votes to defund Obamacare

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

House Republicans passed their stopgap funding bill Friday to keep government open while terminating the new health care law, setting up a final showdown next week with Senate Democrats and President Obama who have firmly rejected that.

The 230-189 vote, which split almost exclusively along party lines, is the precursor to the big action next week, when the Senate is expected to strip out the health care provisions and send the bill back to the House — where Republicans will have to decide whether they can accept it at that point.

BREAKING NEWS: House votes to defund Obamacare

Not sure its anything to get to excited about as the senate will surely shoot this down...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

Nice to see them at least pretending to do something.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

Never get past the senate and certainly will never be signed.... But at least they tried because they believe if they don't it will be a major campaign issue for their next election.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

727Sky
reply to post by Wiz4769

Never get past the senate and certainly will never be signed.... But at least they tried because they believe if they don't it will be a major campaign issue for their next election.

That is exactly what this "show" is about. Only a facade to show their constituents voting in the 2014 elections that they are supporting their platform.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Why a facade? Now, call you Senators and tell them how to vote. That is what they are there for..not special interests but YOU...the American People. If they do not vote the correct way them vote them out!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This is a non-event right now.

Perhaps a precursor.

When the Senate returns the bill to the House, that will illustrate if the republicans have any spine.

Will they ok the senate-modified bill?

Or Will they reject that and be blamed for the government shutdown?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

YES!

this is something......looks like the majority of the US was ACTUALLY considered ....WOW
That's a novel idea......

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
they have voted something like 40 times already to defund repeal obamacare.
that little piss ant Harry Reid, won't let it come to the floor.

this makes me think that there are more in the senate that want to do away with obamacare than that is being let known.

if they think that they have the majority in the senate to defeat the bill, why not vote.
they know that the true story will come out of how who stands on what and where the weakness is.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

You're absolutely right, we have to call our Senators. Everyone should do this.

That having been said, I have to agree with the above posters, this is to present the illusion that the GOP is trying to do something, that they are somehow different than the Dems. This will never get passed and they know it.

In fact, both Parties agree on most issues.

Obamacare was written by lobbyists for the benefit of the health care companies. The GOP is beholden to the same lobbyists.

IMHO, the most effective resistance to Obamacare or the mandate or the health care insurer bailout, is going to take place at the state level.

Interesting how the article says nothing about the fact that people will be forced to buy healthcare under threat of punishment.

edit on 20-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Because it isn't worthy of a vote, it is pure party politics. This is all the Republican controlled house has down...pass partisan bills that aren't allowed through committee or allowed to have amendments submitted to them by anyone (so democrats have zero say) and then pass the bill on pure party lines (not a single democrat voted for this in the house).

Also, to defund the ACA at this point without having something to replace it is a horrible idea. Defunding doesn't remove the laws or regulations, all it does is remove the assistance given to low income people to help them purchase the mandated insurance. Without the assistance, they will all still be fined because the law is still law. Also, it would hurt hospitals because they wouldn't be getting assistance either.

If they think the goal is to make the law unenforceable, then what they will be doing is putting a lot of people with pre-existing conditions in a horrible situation as they will all be dropped immediately from their policies and then never be able to get new policies. Kids who are currently benefiting from the ACA and getting desperately needed treatment will be turned away and left to die because insurance companies are no longer forced to cover them.

The bottom line is that Republicans trying to defund the ACA is an immature and cowardly act. If they are actually serious about a solution, don't vote to repeal it or defund it...they should come up with their own replacement plan and vote to pass that.

Since they aren't putting forth a replacement bill, and only voting over and over on repealing and defunding, you can tell they aren't serious and just playing partisan/election politics.

But you guys go ahead and continue to cheer them on.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie
they have voted something like 40 times already to defund repeal obamacare.
that little piss ant Harry Reid, won't let it come to the floor.

this makes me think that there are more in the senate that want to do away with obamacare than that is being let known.

if they think that they have the majority in the senate to defeat the bill, why not vote.
they know that the true story will come out of how who stands on what and where the weakness is.

they won't vote for the same reason they didn't vote on the fly by shooting against syria.
a yes vote would have thrown many under the political bus.

politicians hate making decisions that could cost them primary oposition and possible career ending fate.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Like many stated, this is just another.. it pretty much to show "hey look we did something.. keep voting for us"

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Boy somebody sure drank the Obama coolaid. Sticking till the end I see.

Im not naive enough to think the reps actually care what the people want, but the fact is, most people do not understand the changes Obamacare actually will make, and that is their fault for not taking the time to get good easy to understand info out to the masses. So people do not want the change if there is any way things will get worse. Heck if they can prove and explain exactly how it will benefit we the common man with no downsides and they ALL use the exact same health care as us, I may change my tune, but dont give me the ol, trust me we know whats better for you routine. The fact that TPTB will NOT be using the same system and have ALL opted out, tellls me we should worry.

But honestly , its all for show at this point...
edit on 20-9-2013 by Wiz4769 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's a token set up.

Now the Democrats will have to justify why to change the Republican House version.

Democrats already have to live with the boondoggles and corruption.

They're running out of excuses.

Elections are next year and 36 Senate seats are up for vote.

20 seats are currently Democrat.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I like mandatory healthcare just like I like mandatory car insurance. Too many low income people cannot afford private insurance and there also careless wealthy people who spend their money elsewhere and become a burden to the state welfare system that ends up picking the tab. No hospital can refuse you treatment but then they either take you to court to collect or they pass the buck to state welfare.

I am not sure I like obamacare the way it was written though, and I also hate the timing of it. They couldnt have picked a worst time to introduce nationlised healthcare when small and medium sized business is struggling to survive. A bigger payroll is one more burden for them. At some point the camels back breaks and they go out of business. This is the reason they HAVE to hire illegals in many cases.

In other words I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Yes its necessary but not now and not in this form.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The whole thing is Hilarius.

Ted Cruz has backtracked after using the "Defund" catchphrase to raise money for his coffers.

But on Wednesday, as House Republican leaders unveiled their latest plan for sinking Obamacare -- tying a measure to defund the law to a must-pass resolution that keeps the government running -- Cruz thanked House Republicans for their fight, and said they're on their own.

Ted Cruz Infuriates House GOP By Conceding Defeat On Obamacare Repeal

And the GOP sinks to a new low of irrelevance.

The wheels are coming off the clown car that is the modern Republican Party. House and Senate GOP leaders are sniping at each other, on Twitter and even more nastily, via their congressional aides.

Everybody hates Ted Cruz: The most unpopular man in Congress!

I really hope he gets the GOP nomination in 2016.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

Do you understand the changes the ACA will make?

From your paranoid ranting, I would bet you don't. Do you still believe in death panels and free abortions for everyone? Do you still believe healthcare costs are rising even though there have been many reports of cots going down?

There is no legislation ever in the history of mankind that is going to provide 100% benefit with zero downsides for everyone...it is simply impossible.

No pre-existing conditions, no denying children, and capping out of pocket expenses are alone worth the entire legislation. But people need to remember that non of these are possible unless we have close to 100% coverage. If people continue to go without insurance and end up going into the ER for treatment that the hospital has to write off, non of this works.

So please inform me, what does the ACA change that you are dreading?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Why should nationalised healthcare be mandatory for everyone? If someone has been insured by private firms and they want to continue being insured that way, then why should the government extort you to buy their insurance?

In other words either prove you are insured or buy our insurance. Isnt this the way it works in most countries?

And there is no such thing as 100% coverage. If there is the cost is astronomical and unaffordable.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

No pre-existing conditions.

I love that one.

I'm going to buy a house, burn it down, then get home-owners insurance!

lolz

This ACA-TAX is just a precursor to a complete government take-over, single-payer style system.

ACA, as it stands, will break the current system, create a Cloward-Piven Scenario, and destroy our already weakened economy.

But cheer the death, the demise of America. Cheer the fundamental transformation of a once great nation. Enjoy your "free" stuff while it lasts.

(rolling eyes)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

AlienScience
Do you understand the changes the ACA will make?

That is the whole crux of the matter.

The Rabid Right don't want to abolish Obamacare because they think it won't work and is bad for the country.

They want to abolish it beacause they know it will work and is good for the country.

They are terrified that legislation passed by the left works. It goes against their small government Big Business world view.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join