It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu Watch: 2013-14 Flu Season

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Flu season is starting early this year - it bears watching for several other reasons too. Highest on the list for pandemic potential is H7N9, which shares some genetic factors with the more lethal H5N1. There's little doubt that overreliance on vaccines for H5N1 pushed the mutations that resulted in H7N9. H1N1 is still circulating, and it's worse than most people seem to believe. Anti-viral resistance is spreading among viruses, leaving vaccines as the first and only line of defence. Next in the pike is global corporate control of the our world's food systems, and enclosed factory farming. Whether or not a pandemic materializes this year, the picture remains fairly bleak.

To start, here's some important news about the new H5N1 outbreak in Cambodia.

In what is described as it’s worst outbreak of the dangerous virus since first reported in 2004, Cambodia health officials are reporting two additional confirmed cases of human H5N1 avian influenza in two children, according to a Xinhua report today.

According to the report, the cases include a two-year-old girl from Kampot province, who died yesterday and a five-year-old girl from Takeo province, who is currently hospitalized in stable condition.

…These two cases are the 19th and 20th confirmed in the Kingdom in 2013, nine have survived.

To date, the country has recorded 41 human cases of the virus, killing 30 people.

CIDRAP: …the disease has hit children especially hard since it was first detected in the country in 2005. Since then, Cambodia has confirmed 41 H5N1 cases and 30 deaths.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think I picked up my cold, from my child, who just started her first year at school, so she is picking up everything she has never before encountered. I cant believe its so early in the year and im sick with major congestion, eyes watery, headache, and just a total lack of energy. Plain miserable. Even though im sick, which never happens to be honest, I will not be getting a Flu shot, as I think they are over rated, and have noticed that the people in my family who do get the flu shot, always get the flu anyway, and im usually spared, except for this cold I have right now, which I blame on the children at my daughters school, passing it to eachother and beyond the classroom.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I just read an article within the last week or so somewhere, probably Science Daily, that talked about new research on the immune system and viruses. It seems our immune system has special cells that attack viruses, not the same ones that attack microbes. Building antigens against viruses may not be necessary I guess, I assume that the vaccines are trying to build antigens. These specialized cells numbers grow when viruses are present.

I don't know how this is going to effect the flu vaccines. Maybe they are building up these cells with the vaccines. They also do not know much about what other things these cells do yet. Is it good to be fighting viruses when you don't have to? Fighting viruses takes power from our ability to fight cancer, and some of the common cold viruses and possibly others, target the fast growth of cancers and kill them.

Who knows, my name is not who.

There are wild type Oncolytic virus that attack cancer. I guess having cold sores occasionally may give a person a resistance to cancer

edit on 20-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

So am I. Lady was sick at work and I got it off her i'm sure.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
A few quick picks from todays news. ...Doctors and agencies everywhere are pushing vaccinations - and there are lots of choices. Choose how many strains to block; go intra-nasal, epidermal or jab.

The Medical Minute: More Options, More Reasons to get your Flu Shot

There was a time when there were two choices when it came to flu shots: get vaccinated or not.

This year, drug companies are not only offering the vaccine in multiple forms, they are also offering multiple vaccines.

“It’s always been pretty simple — we had one flu shot and that was it,” said registered nurse Paula LaBonte, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center employee flu campaign coordinator. “This year, there are many, many choices.”

Then there's this little tidbit:

Swine Flu Vaccine Linked To Narcolepsy

...More than six million doses of the vaccine were administered in the UK during the pandemic, which led to 10 suspected cases of narcolepsy as a direct result of the jab. That may seem small, but it’s a 13-fold increase in incidence in UK children. The vaccine was administered to more than 31 million people worldwide, and GSK received reports of 335 cases of narcolepsy in people who had received the jab in the first year alone.

...Pandemrix is still licensed for use in the UK, but should only be used if alternative influenza vaccines are not available.

Symptoms to Watch For

2013 Flu Symptoms Warning and What to Expect

Flu symptoms usually manifest from one day to seven days after a person’s exposure to the virus, and are typically more serious than the signs of a common cold. The affected individual may feel or show the following: 100°F or higher fever that lasts several days, chills, muscle pain, headache, fatigue, sore throat, runny or clogged nose and cough. Many also complain of burning eye pain, while some also experience gastrointestinal issues including vomiting and diarrhea.

Individuals who have several of these symptoms are advised to contact their primary health care provider at once. Staying at home and getting plenty of rest and fluids are usually adequate in treating seasonal flu, but some cases may be accompanied by other more serious issues such as pneumonia and whooping cough or pertussis. The key to ensuring speedy recovery is early and accurate diagnosis by a health professional.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

i had to have my spleen removed because of an accident years ago and i was told that i will be open to infections for the rest of my life as my immune system would be low .

i am now 65 years old and i have never taken anything other than the odd pain killer for headaches .

i will never take the flu shot , if something is not one hundred % natural i won't take it .

i have seen the people that swear by the flu shot and they do not look well .

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Children are carriers and the new school season will bring things to a head between the end of October and Christmas as it does every year. Besides school, there are the sports and activities to further their contact list. I have learned the hard way that it is better to not have them visit in the fall, because as I age the flu lasts longer than 3 days.

Since the SARS outbreak I have changed my shopping habits and risk factors. I choose suppertime as the stores are pretty empty then, and clean my hands after handling a shopping cart. I have sometimes worn a mask as a prevention method and worn glasses as SARS taught us that the eyes can absorb spittle. So far my staying away from restaurants and public places in flu season has served me well too. A flu shot would really be a last resort for me.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Speaking of vaccines this video is scarier then... Well... You know.
I'm sure it's been shown somewhere on here but for those that haven't...

It was in my YouTube subscriptions... Sent today

I cannot believe there are people out there that want to do this. We are not perfect... We have our flaws... I'm sick to death of people digging into every little flaw we have. Flaws and mistakes helps us to grow. Some people change some do not... After all each and every one of us was given freedom of choice... Freedom to grow and learn... We will never be " perfect "

Without the weeds, you would never know how truly beautiful a rose is.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The US government is preparing for a pandemic - and are setting up a 211 bird flu phone line - "a "National Nurse Triage Line" using the 211 phone number for an Severe Influenza Pandemic." This 211 service is online now at BirdFlu211.

USGOV Preparing Nat'l Disaster Medical System for Possible H7N9 Pandemic

Sept 21, 2013

What You Need to Know
On several occasions in recent months we have reported on the extraordinary efforts being undertaken by federal health and disaster authorities to prepare for some form of pandemic-scale public health event (see this, this and this). The sheer scale of the preparations, the amounts of money being spent and the speed at which these preparations are taking place reveal significant concern on the part of authorities.

About Influenza A(H7N9)

The U.S. government, the World Health Organization and other world health authorities are seriously concerned by the potential for a bird flu (avian influenza) pandemic in the upcoming flu season (Sept. - May). Since the first cases of H7N9 were detected in humans in the Spring of 2013, approximately 33% of those who become infected die. The British Medical Journal reports the virus can be transmitted via human contact. (See this and this). The National Institutes of Health reports the virus is capable of airborne transmission. (See this and this). At present there is still no effective vaccine available.

If you think you or a member of your family is becoming ill in a pandemic situation, it is important that you DO NOT IMMEDIATELY RUSH TO THE HOSPITAL. The simple reality is that you will likely encounter desperate throngs of other sick people doing the exact same things. The chances are also very good that hospitals and other medical facilities will already be overwhelmed.

The Centers for Disease Control and the American Association of Poison Control Centers are already establishing a "National Nurse Triage Line" using the 211 phone number for an Severe Influenza Pandemic. The 211 line will be used in managing ill persons with influenza-like illness during a severe pandemic and to electronically or telephonically transfer authorized prescriptions to local pharmacies. Attempt to call the hospital emergency room and the 211 line BEFORE setting out to find medical attention.

For any clear thinking adult, this reason alone should be motivation to follow the preparedness guidance in this document BEFORE a pandemic scenario is upon us. If the government is currently spending billions of dollars and dedicating other resources to preparing for a possible pandemic, this should be your signal to make some preparations of your own.

The lives of yourself and family could hang in the balance.

Download a copy of this preparedness guidance in virus-free PDF form and share with friends and family.

www.BirdFlu211.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

That's awesome they have a call a nurse hotline. But - other sites say "see your doctor immediately if symptoms present". I guess they need to catch up.

Also - the symptoms of this are like any other flu so how would a call help? Cough, fever, sore throat, muscle aches. Maybe nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and even conjuncivitis.

It is my understanding they would send you to the doc anyway to rule out another strain (or maybe testing centers). And there is no cure so what could they call into the pharmacy?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I had the flu in August. That was really strange. It was mild, but it was the flu.
I had a fever of 102 for a few days. Head colds dont' give you a fever.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Hey Dianec - the advice applies specifically to a pandemic and believe me, you really want to stay away from hospitals and other public places during a pandemic. ...The only time to go would be for life support but I suspect there won't be enough ventilators... It really is better to have a nurse or doctor come to your home.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I got it a few weeks ago - was out of Emergen-C, and couldn't knock it back. Replenished my supply, hit it with Vitamin C and it went away. But it came back. Have it now. Respiratory, sinus and gut symptoms. But under control with the Vitamin C. ...You really do have to stop it early.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
All I take is 500mg vit c and half a natural sourced b-multi daily to keep away sickness. I was getting a slight itch in throat and not 100% 48hrs ago. Now feel perfectly well! No noticeable flu symptoms in over a decade *knocks on wood*

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Wow that is early but it did seem to get colder faster this year. It might just be me though.

I have never had a flu shot. I used to work in healthcare and was offered the jab but I said I couldn't afford the ten to twelve days of symptoms that resemble flu, on the offchance that I can prevent flu that would put me out of work for ten to fourteen days. No more was said.

I think healthcare workers are at greater risk of flu but the only way they could be a risk to patients is if they don't wash their hands and all take the correct measures. Think about it. If you do get flu in that environment it would be hard to pass it on from your bedroom.

I am not a risk to you because I have not had a jab.

I have never had flu.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

soficrow
reply to post by Dianec

Hey Dianec - the advice applies specifically to a pandemic and believe me, you really want to stay away from hospitals and other public places during a pandemic. ...The only time to go would be for life support but I suspect there won't be enough ventilators... It really is better to have a nurse or doctor come to your home.

So what would qualify for pandemic status? I had to go to the doctor today and they had a note out along with masks available that said, "if you have a cough please put mask on". It also said something about whooping cough on another note taped on counter where people check in. So I am assuming if they find a certain number of people are coming in with the flu they have an official cut off where they implement this 211 line? I'm sure it would come across television screens. I thought it was effective immediately so rather interesting we are being told about it before a potential pandemic.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

You'll know there's a pandemic because it will be all over the news that the WHO declared one. Considering what happened in 2009, the WHO probably won't make the announcement until people are dropping in the streets. (Pandemics and pandemic threats are VERY bad for global business and the corporate bottom line. The WHO has its marching orders on this one no doubt.) But governments and NGO's are preparing - and considering all the activity, they're worried.

Don't panic - Just prepare, pay attention and be ready to implement your 'preparedness plan' when the time comes.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thank you for clarifying. I am thinking adequate prep equates to having natural remedies at home and some pain relievers. Maybe some extra food in the event you become exempt from going to the store. I think in terms of not wanting to go out and about unnecessarily, and in terms of if you or a family member become ill. There is not much more we can do - other than to try and stay healthy to begin with.

I will say there have been a lot of flu cases in just this last week. Surprisingly - the people who I know directly who have it are the only ones who also get the flu shot each year. I'm not sure if they got it for 2013 yet but know they do every year (whole family gets them and whole family has been ill for about 4 days now in one case, and another case - coworker gets each year and is sick past 2 days). I'm not saying there is a connection - just strange. I'm not sure about my sons class mates. About half gone Monday with still about 10% gone today (Wed).

Maybe it will all pass again without any issues (probably will) but I'm sure there will be a year where it does go pandemic. Therefore, we should always be prepared - whatever that means for each of us.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
For what it's worth...

According to Replikin testing, H5N1 bird flu is the strain most likely to cause the next pandemic. Replikin counts in 2008 predicted the H1N1 pandemic of 2009, and predicted the outbreak of H5N1 in Indonesia in 2006-2008, which peaked with a human mortality rate of 80%. Indonesia just reported another case, and has now had 194 H5N1 cases, including 162 deaths. Flu season started early in the USA, but the government shutdown is blocking disease tracking.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join