It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public School Secession: WIthdrawing our Impressionable Children From the Hate and Ignorance Machine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Heard about that. And if that were my son, there'd be some serious injuries to the teachers they would have to deal with. Jail time be damned, it'd be worth it to me.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

xuenchen
Here's an alarming story from last year.

Great public education.

Why would anybody think public schools are a problem.

After all, the teachers are products of the same system.

Can't understand.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A 9-year-old autistic boy who misbehaved at school was stuffed into a duffel bag and the drawstring pulled tight, according to his mother, who said she found him wiggling inside as a teacher's aide stood by.

The mother of fourth-grader Christopher Baker said her son called out to her when she walked up to him in the bag Dec. 14. The case has spurred an online petition calling for the firing of school employees responsible.

"He was treated like trash and thrown in the hallway," Chris' mother, Sandra Baker, said Thursday. She did not know how exactly how long he had been in the bag, but probably not more than 20 minutes.

School accused of putting autistic student in bag

This makes my blood boil and reminds me of the horrific stories about 'punishment boxes' and their replacement with more permanent 'punishment rooms' to get around the laws attempting to eradicate the practice on a technicality. The fact that this was done to an autistic child who already has a social deficit and needs to be coaxed out as much as is possible makes it all the worse. Clearly, they do not have our children's best interests in mind, just their own convenience and domineering nature.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Home school is fine as long as the parent isn't an idiot. I was home schooled but my mother was also an ex-editor of a magazine and knew the English language very well.

The basis of any education begins with reading, writing, and grammar. She taught both siblings the same way. My brother chose to be lazy and didn't want to study or read. I chose the opposite and wound up going to college and did better than my peers. Our education was heavy on the religious angle but it didn't matter because around 12-18 yrs I was self-studying everything anyway.

Self study is the most important skill home schooled children acquire. It also means kids like my brother(those who refuse to work) no longer get pushed through the system. They aren't scooted along and unrealistically gifted with the same accolades as those that choose to work. If you know how to read and write you can learn any subject, without that base you will struggle with every subject.

edit on 20-9-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

The pharmaceutical industry in cooperation with psychiatrists and uneducated or irresponsible parents have created a whole new and totally unnecessarily isolated student demographic of the correctively medicated.

And there lies the big problem.

Many of the 'correctively medicated' students from decades ago are now among the 'correctively medicated' administrations of many public school systems I believe.

The 'authorities' won't address the problem.

Many people are unaware of the stunning correlations shown on this picture !!!!
.... As we see Obama himself pointing out the agenda that many supporters wish would just stay a 'secret' !!! Just listen to the reactions from Progressives every time this is exposed and analyzed !!!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

jjkenobi
I personally am not a fan of home schooling (although I support your right to do it), but I am a huge advocate for private or charter schools. There's no question liberals have attempted a complete take over of the public education system. And as usual anything they touch turns into a miserable failure. There excuse is always money, even though many private/charter schools get fantastic results with half the resources.

I think it is important to point out that any education that results in a desire to learn is better than no education.

In my opinion, public school education is not resulting in a desire to learn for a significant proportion of students.

Education is a process, not a commodity, it is ongoing and never complete. If one 'graduates' with the illusion that they 'know' anything and need not continue to learn is doomed to a life of despair and subjugation. Always be suspect of anyone who claims to 'have' a good education, it is an indicator of an uninquisitive and stagnant mind.

Home, private, charter and yes, even public schools can be equally good at imparting an interest in learning. I merely contend that the current state doctrinal regimen is counter productive to that end either by design or accident and is to be avoided.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

windword

Yeah, if I had kids in Texas schools, I'd want to pull them out too. But the less cowardly thing to do, is fight for good, quality public education. If you have the time to home school, you have the time to supplement your kid's studies, and fight to represent their educational needs.

How is it "cowardly" to take personal responsibility for the education of your own children? How is it "cowardly" to tell the state, "Go get F'd, I'll do it myself!"?

The dominant culture crucifies anyone who doesn't buy into the state's BS, especially when it comes to what they call "education". So... I'm a little confused on exactly how that is "cowardly". I think it's the other way around, actually.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

jomina
reply to post by greencmp

We had talked about doing it for a good while beforehand, and we're lucky to live in a state that supports homeschooling in the way that it does (literally just tell their principal that they're going to be HS'd and there's no curriculum that is necessary to follow...).

I am also disabled (blindness) and so am home 24/7 to be able to teach them and support them through their education.

I know that not everyone is in that kind of position to be able to do what we did, but it all worked in our favor and we feel confident in their abilities and their education. Heck, the programs we have them in are the exact programs that they use in the school they'd be going to anyhow lol

But you're right; there are a LOT of burned out teachers that just could not give a crap any more. It was always hard for teachers to begin with. Now? Much, much worse.

Especially when you consider that 10 years ago, the instances of autism were 1 in 10000 kids. Now it's at 1 in 50. That means that unless they go through special training to learn how to educate just this disorder alone, let alone all the other ones that are on the rise, they are completely unprepared with how to deal with the kids.

There ARE those out there that are good and care about the kids they are sitting in front of, but, to be honest, they are starting to become the exceptions, not the rule.

I have a lot of personal experience with all of these unfortunate circumstances.

It just goes to show that the most encumbered with adversity either submit to apathy and self-pity or rebound with the greatest conviction toward the highest goals.

Autism should be on the tips of every tongue in the scientific community if only to discover the true cause.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join