It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France bans children's beauty contests in bid to stop the 'hyper-sexualisation' of youngsters.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Don't assume that pageants and beauty contests are limited to girls! I read a shocking chapter in a book on so-called transgender children where these so-called support groups hold events where they dress little boys in makeup and provocative clothing, the whole nine yards with fancy dresses and feather boas and high heels, and parade them in a sort of fashion show or beauty pageant. The parents and probably a few pedophiles cheer and hoot at them. Mind you, this was being PRAISED by the author as a celebration. She would probably disapprove of doing the same thing with girls. A lot of these folks have crazy double standards.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I agree, people need to take it for what it is! A ban on these ridiculous beauty pageants.

I really don't understand some of the views in this thread stating that its a bad thing for the government to do this. I think its about time they did and I hope it spreads to other Countries.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

lindalinda
Don't assume that pageants and beauty contests are limited to girls! I read a shocking chapter in a book on so-called transgender children where these so-called support groups hold events where they dress little boys in makeup and provocative clothing, the whole nine yards with fancy dresses and feather boas and high heels, and parade them in a sort of fashion show or beauty pageant. The parents and probably a few pedophiles cheer and hoot at them. Mind you, this was being PRAISED by the author as a celebration. She would probably disapprove of doing the same thing with girls. A lot of these folks have crazy double standards.

Yikes! That's crazy, and I really wonder about the mentality of anyone who promotes that sort of thing -- a six year old boy who wants to play with dolls or wear a dress isn't "transgender", they're just a kid. We used to call girls who wore jeans and could kick a guy's butt "tomboys", now they're "gender confused" and probably being lined up for hormone treatments.

Our society is nuts.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
I agree, people need to take it for what it is! A ban on these ridiculous beauty pageants.

I really don't understand some of the views in this thread stating that its a bad thing for the government to do this. I think its about time they did and I hope it spreads to other Countries.

IT IS BECAUSE IT WON'T ACTUALLY ADDRESS THE ISSUE YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT!

Yes... I AM yelling that.

It will make it WORSE for the girls you no longer see because we aren't addressing the ingrained cultural reason these exist in the first place. It will make it HARDER to deal with... harder to find... and harder to inform and educate girls about whether this is something they want to be in or not and to have anyone to talk to without being turned away. Many girls who have suffered molestation will tell you that trying to talk to someone about it VERY often results in them being blamed or told they are wrong/etc. Now imagine how hard it is to get someone to care when complaining about being "dressed in pretty clothes".

You don't end exploitation by pushing it under ground.

I would even be willing to go out on a limb that there is an ulterior motive for this ban with the express intent to make people less aware of the stuff that IS going on in secret... less possible for kids being put through these to see on TV something they recognize as happening to them and realizing they don't like it... etc.

There was a small part of me that was hoping the appearance of those shows and public awareness of the pageants would get people to start asking questions about the much more widespread version of it going on underground.

But no... we have to say "Make a law" and go back to reclining in our chairs feeling like we've helped just because we don't see it anymore.

You want to help those girls? You get these events, and the ones that aren't publicized... in plain open view of everyone so we can stop pretending like they aren't happening chronically... and that even some of our "normal people" activities are just a hair away from what is happening on these shows.

The overbearing parent forcing a child to "get good at" an activity isn't remotely special to this. As for the sexualization... this stuff is literally child's play compared to the crap that you aren't writing threads saying there should be laws about. Because there already are laws. And they aren't helping.

Slavery didn't go away when slavery was banned... it changed form. Marijuana and Alcohol didn't go away when they were banned. No books have gone away when they were banned.

Banning a behavior has never done anything except make those who still wish to do it get more clever... leaving it even more difficult for people who don't "think like they do" to understand what is going on. Furthermore... now that they are already breaking the "law"... it naturally draws in the more violent aspects in order to defend the behavior. How many people are being murdered in the selling of Alcohol now vs during Prohibition? How many are murdered in the trafficking of Marijuana?

Are contact sports like Rugby and Football bannable in your eyes? Why not? Because boys are tougher? Because bashing bodies isn't as bad as dressing bodies?
edit on 21-9-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
On the one hand, I'm thrilled they banned these competitions. On the other hand, there's going to be a stripper shortage in France in a few years.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

I agree with you that this is not the optimal solution but since they will never restructure society, even by educating people I guess we are left with this option. In any case I think this is one of those things "monkey sees monkey does" so the ban will not have a reformation effect until they block other ways to access all similar "cultural" content.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
France has banned children’s beauty contests in an attempt to prevent the ‘hyper-sexualisation’ of youngsters.

A new law enacted on Tuesday night prevents anyone under the age of 16 from being judged on their physical appearance.
It follows concerns expressed all over the world, including Britain where pageants are still legal, about girls being forced to grow up too fast.
Now anyone caught organising a beauty competition for children in France faces up to two years in prison and fines equivalent of around 25,000 pounds.
The new law is part of an equality bill introduced by women’s minister, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, and now passed by the Paris Senate.
French senator Chantal Jouanno, author of a report called ‘Against Hyper-Sexualisation: A New Fight For Equality’ proposed an amendment to Vallaud-Belkacem’s bill, calling for the end of children’s contests.
It was passed by 196 votes to 146 against. ‘Let’s not let our daughters think from such a young age that they will be judged according to their appearance,’ said Ms Jouanno. ‘Let’s not let commercial interest impact on social interest.’

I agree, thumbs up to France
Girls grow up quick enough as it is without being taught from an early age to be image conscious, applying makeup etc to look more grown-up/prettier, there is no doubt that some young girls love dressing up and playing with makeup ( I know I did ) but in lots of cases the mothers can be too overbearing about these 'contests' and are teaching their daughters that all they need to be successful in life is to look pretty, they should just let children be children.

Link 1
Link 2

So basically shelter them from living in reality.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BardingTheBard

I think many of you are not looking at this in the context it exists. This is FRANCE. They also have banned Monsanto.. GMO's....Fracking.
Many of the french laws come about to keep out the american culture- to make a statement. "This might be fine for them, but we do not accept it. It is not part of our culture or tradition."

It does not already exist here, it is just a preventative action to keep the american culture from catching on here. It does not mean it will be necessarily effective- many efforts were made to keep McDonalds from invading, and they still did it.

The poster that made a comment about a future lack of strippers in France- I have lived here more than twenty years and have not yet seen or heard of stripper clubs existing here.
edit on 21-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I understand your point... and France is free to do whatever it wishes and I would no more support stopping France than I would support stopping rugby/football and pageants.

I'm replying in the context of the suggestions that this would be a good idea for other countries.

I'm replying in the context of how following through with said bans will *increase* the risk to the girls supposedly being protected, not decrease.

Banning decreases their ability to speak openly to others if/when they don't want to participate... because then it's as simple as "quitting football" as opposed to opening up criminal charges.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thank you Lady_Tuatha for high lighting this and well done France. At least your Government has some made a start on the moral compass, not like our miserable, self- centred coalition!!!

These tories don't give a crap[ about anything, unless it affects them personally!

hx

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Well done France!

It isn't nice that society had allowed and even instigated female children dressing like sl*tty 20 somethings, or even 20, 30, 40 or any age females dressing in an overtly sexual manner. Apart from looking tacky and cheap, it also sent a message to men of females as objects and toys, demeaning themselves for the sake of male attention.

Traditional values have their place in a lot of respects, and that doesn't mean subservience in any form.

Perhaps if people start dressing appropriately, people might start behaving appropriately. It might even have an effect on binge drinking culture and other social malfunctions.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Bluesma
The poster that made a comment about a future lack of strippers in France- I have lived here more than twenty years and have not yet seen or heard of stripper clubs existing here.

www.worldsbeststripclubs.com...

Or if you prefer just Paris...
www.yelp.com...

Perhaps you don't know France as well as you think you do?

This is my entire point in this thread. Out of sight out of mind does NOT mean anyone has protected any real live human girls and in fact it's trivial for those who wish to continue to do so without most people even knowing it exists.

If you can claim to not even know strip clubs exist in France... how would you possibly know what is going on with children and parents dressing them up and putting them on display when it's no longer out in the open to be dealt with on a community and social and self responsibility level?
edit on 21-9-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BardingTheBard

I took a look at a few of those links- the Moulin Rouge is included, so that right there shows that the description of "stripper club" is not accurate for all of them, obviously! The ones I clicked on turned out to be clubs of libertinism or echangism- which is somewhat like what we call "swingers". The two I found that fit the stripper description were in Paris, in english and geared for tourists- that is, like I said, not part of their culture or tradition.

(Cabaret, by the way, is not 'strippers'. )

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

You know you're evading.

You are also very very gently trying to project what are "acceptable" styles of dance/dress for women to get naked to make money and what aren't.

Now consider this: Part of why it's not AS prevalent there percentage wise is because you don't have the same repression of nudity we have in the states. Do you think it's worth exploring the premise that the repression of normal nudity might have something to do with the prevalence of strip clubs?

In a way, you continue to emphasize my point about unintended consequences without *actually* helping anyone.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I am personally against such bans. I think the government has no business legislating peoples personal lives. And to take it a step further the parents themselves are responsible for raising their children.

People can be whatever they want to be. Too many instrusive laws of late from the uk and france.

Big government is not only declaring wars left and right and bankrupting nations, now they are intruding into our bedrooms and families. They have cameras on every street corner in london like peeping toms.

The nsa snooping in many countries with eric snowden whistleblowing it, should have been the first clue.

Government stay out of my personal life!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

You are wrong.

We are not talking about a Christmas play, where kids are dressed up like silly and fun things like trees, elfs santa and so on, we are talking about dressing up kids in whats usually regarded as adult sexy clothing and make up.

...and people wonder why theres so many pedos when this # is on TV for free to anyone to see.

what about leather bondage clothing, would that be okay too in your eyes before "parents should be allowed to raise their kids how they want?" right?

Leave the adult stuff for when they are becoming adults! and CERTINLY dont make it a cruel contest.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

You are wrong.

We are not talking about a Christmas play, where kids are dressed up like silly and fun things like trees, elfs santa and so on, we are talking about dressing up kids in whats usually regarded as adult sexy clothing and make up.

...and people wonder why theres so many pedos when this # is on TV for free to anyone to see.

what about leather bondage clothing, would that be okay too in your eyes before "parents should be allowed to raise their kids how they want?" right?

Leave the adult stuff for when they are becoming adults! and CERTINLY dont make it a cruel contest.

A cruel contest? Why do you view it that way? Its simply a contest of willing participants.

No crime is being committed by anyone. People dont have to watch anything if they choose not to.
edit on 22/9/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

BardingTheBard
reply to post by Bluesma

You know you're evading.

You are also very very gently trying to project what are "acceptable" styles of dance/dress for women to get naked to make money and what aren't.

Now consider this: Part of why it's not AS prevalent there percentage wise is because you don't have the same repression of nudity we have in the states. Do you think it's worth exploring the premise that the repression of normal nudity might have something to do with the prevalence of strip clubs?

In a way, you continue to emphasize my point about unintended consequences without *actually* helping anyone.

The repression of human sexuality and nudity means there are taboos and most of the time this worstens problems. The church as an institution and feminist groups push such hypocrisy. This then prevents schools from discussing birth control and family planning when children most need it.

This leads to people starting families early on before they are emotionally and financially ready or forced to have abortions which itself is somewhat immoral.

Taboos are bad, realism is good. Not that some people dont act like animals, but then again we already have laws for that. Sometimes they are enforced and sometimes not.

Europeans always had the lowest divorce rate between usa, AND condoned human sexuality. I guess people mature faster when allowed to judge everything for themselves.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Maybe they don't ban it here in The States because it's a way to keep track of the pedo's. Since the gov't is watching and listening to everything we do, they should be able to pinpoint every household that is watching/recording these children's beauty pageant/children's dance shows and monitor them. Or, we let it be, here in USA, because our gov't is run by Satanic pedophiles and they love it!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Viva la France ! I've flipped by some of those shows they have here in the states.. Unbelievable, these parents should be ashamed of themselves.. The make up, the dance moves they make these children do is shameful..

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join