It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France bans children's beauty contests in bid to stop the 'hyper-sexualisation' of youngsters.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
[snipped]

but the French have a right to govern their nation as they see fit.

yeah so whens the referendum?

I think they have bigger things to worry about other than a beauty pageant, seems like a distraction to me.
edit on Fri Sep 20 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped inappropriate word

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
France beat USA to it huh?

I hope the US follows suit asap, because its absolutely crazy over there and with younger kids having phones with internet etc they need to clamp that stuff NOW

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There are laws against child abuse already, we dont need more overbearing laws. I think this is quite a fascist move, and it does not matter there are good intentions behind it. It should be up to the parents, not the government. Legislating morality, thats all this is. And I am surprised at the positive response to it. Probably because hating on child pageants is considered cool lately.

Anyway, it is not that big of a restriction of freedom, so it does not bother me that much.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

Oh get over yourself-these contests are grotesque+besides,if they never touched this matter with a bargepole,it would not have stopped them for a nanosecond with whatever they're doing to screw over the population.At least for once something sensible came out of it.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

thanks for pointing out the sports angle. You want to talk about child objectification? No, not really, only if it deals with whats construed as the sexualization of children....how nice. Double standard is right. Many very observant people have pointed out that there is a huge glaring double standard in the so called civilized western world over how we deal with violence and sexuality. Its perfect ok to take kids to violent movies where people are getting shot, stabbed and chopped to pieces, but as soon as theres a sexual element to the content, oh no, gotta protect the children. How intellectually anemic and WEAK.

but you know...this kind of situation just really highlights how shallow most people think about things. I'm willing to bet most people will bite this hook and swallow the bait deep down into their engorged bellies without even giving a second thought as to the possible long term motivation involved. What we are seeing with moves like this from various governments is part of a long term plan of getting the government more and more involved on a micro level with everything their populace does...and some people are really ok with that idea. They are already so vacant and mindless that they cant see what could possibly go wrong.

nevermind that if the government really wanted to curtail the 'hyper sexualization' of girls there are many more and better ways they could do it....but they simply WONT because those other ways involve REVENUE streams of businesses with ties to the government in the neverending revolving doors between the two. Instead they chose an extremely small subset of the population that could get away with demonizing and targeting without the larger population feeling threatened. And i dare say that if they were concerned about victimization happening among the ranks of those involved in these contests what BETTER WAY to find out whats going on than to ALLOW them to continue and simply apportion some government resources to track and monitor the goings on of said partipants? Instead, as usual, governments use a bat to kill a flea and will only smash the flea further into the sofa cushion where it will be harder to find. War on drugs? yeah that worked REALLY well. Prohibition.....right.

this is nothing more than a political stunt designed to appease the ppl and convince them that their benevolent government really does care about them and wants only what is best for them...nevermind that its simply another brick in the wall of control mechanisms they are building to shut you all into their very happy drugged up complacent prison.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Eeew.Some woman actually dressed her little girl as a prostitute.Charming.Some folks are genuinely..surreal.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
When are they gonna ban the children tiara , honey boo boo crap?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

OP by MDDoxs

I don't think Beauty Contests have a very large impact on the greater population.... I think the more practical and effective mediums to target would be television and film, as these forms have greater accessibility to a much larger segment of the population.

I think you'll find that pageants and TV go hand in hand.

These kids being paraded around are only young, and their parents would be in the age group that were first exposed to the hyper sexual images in the form of Brittany spears, Christina Aguilera, etc. And now these parents are starting to play out their fantasies through their children through the only way they know; Skimpy dresses and gyrating.

To think at one time Madonna was risque.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

actually i agree that these contests are horrible. Ive only seen bits and pieces of these things usually as part of a news piece...ive never watched a full episode of toddlers and tiaras and i never even wanted to see anything about the honey boo boo show. But please explain to me how banning this extremely small practice, which is NOT overtly sexual in most cases (by that i mean there are not swimsuit competitions and the like) would make any real progress in restraining the sexualization of little girls....after all that IS the so called purpose behind the ban is it not?

I beg of people to use their brains here and on all issues where government intrusion is concerned. There are very real plans that have been laid out decades ago that purport a desire to eventually control every aspect of our lives, child rearing and procreation is one of the main ones. Telling people they cannot spank their children, or name them after a dictator (Hitler in one case), or teach their kids certain religious traditions (see what some Jews do during the male circumcision ritual), etc.....eventually will lead to the government granting permission to people for whether or not they can even have children at all. This philosophy goes all the way back to Plato's 'The Republic'. As it stands right now in many european countries it is illegal to homeschool your child. That means that you really only have your child to yourself until they are school age...then they are REQUIRED to be sent to the state sponsored indoctrination program which lasts most of the waking day.

It boggles my mind how people can see things like this happening and not understand their import.....and as for it being sensible......what about doing this actually makes any sense if, as i pointed out, it will affect such a tiny fraction of populations behavior which is by its nature reclusive and doesnt affect anyone but their own children? Additionally, have they effectively made the case that the pageant industry in general is prematurely sexualizing these girls, and if so in what manner?

Like i and others have pointed out, the sexualizing influences are MANY....music, television, print media, etc.....does your support of legislation like this mean you would also support moves to ban all media that could be percieved as having an undue influence on the hyper sexualization of girls under 16? I would hope you could see that would be the only consistent view to have since almost anyone with a thinking brain agrees that entertainment media in general contributes to this trend and if we are going to be intellectually consistent we would certainly have to leverage bans or censorship of that kind of material towards children as well.

thoughts?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

NavyDoc
reply to post by James1982

I can see your point about double standards, but I think it is the sexualization of these kids where the creep factor comes in.

A young girl who get awards for swimming competitions is different than one who gets awards for swimsuit competitions. It is the sexuality that is the fundamental difference, IMHO.

Oh I totally agree, like I said it's the execution of these contests that's the issue, not the idea of them. I personally don't understand the desire to be in, or put kids into such contests, but they could easily have these contests geared towards who is the cutest kid, not who looks most like a hooker.

My reference to a double standard was more about how the article says that girls shouldn't be valued by their appearance, yet boys can be valued by how gifted they are at sports.
edit on 20-9-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Very true-its up to us parents,especially moms with daughters,to instill proper values.Obviously some mothers have no cookin' clue about what is wise and what is asinine.At least this will curtail the worst of their excesses.
I am no more fond of nannystating+overgovernment than the average member here(we don't have so much of that in my country anyway) but I suppose one can be grateful for this little gem of common sense.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I'm genuinely starting to like France more and more these days! Good job France, wish the rest of the world would do the same. And don't tell me we don't "sexualize" children!

Remember a couple of years ago? There was this "dance" competition with little girls shaking their butts. A pedophiles wet dream. i.imgur.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Wow! A very conservative move France! I agree, thumbs up for France! S&F

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Oh I absolutely would like to see the cancellation of shows that contains content that could sexualise kids at a young age.
I agree with with most of your thoughts,as a matter of fact-there is most certainly an agenda that has been put in place to corrupt the youth-and its working well,sadly.I am almost 50 years old-and I remember what it was like when the world was more wholesome,and children could just be children.I have watched the rot set in over the years,I have seen the content of programming change over the decades to shallow,materialistic divel and an obsession with the sexual.I have tried to raise my children well+with sensible,wholesome values-and succeeded.

Yes,this is a very small segment of the whole "industry"( I'm sure its big in America) and there is still media,the fashion industry which reflects always thezeitgeist-but it IS a small step,no matter how little-maybe it will give some women pause to think about how they're raising their daughters,placing an unhealthy amount of focus on the superficial.

The only permanent solution would be a return to decency,and to self-respect.To wholesomeness.To appreciation of purity and innocence.But it's gone too far,I think-the corruption-it is on a small scale only we can make a difference-that is why I see this as something positive.

edit on 20-9-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Well...I did S&F this thread.

But your responses have definitely given me reason to pause and re-think this issue. I beleive you make MANY good points that I hadn't orignially considered in my emotionally-driven haste to give props to the OP.

Thank you for providing some though-provoking balance to this thread!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

instigatah
reply to post by jimmyx

all you guys/girls celebrating increased government micromanagement, this included, are just really pathetic slave-prisoner mentality institutionalized cowing government worshiping zombies. Yay, theyre making beauty pageants illegal, yay theyre making child modeling illegal, yay theyre making talent shows illegal, yay theyre making child actors illegal, yay theyre making child musicians illegal, yay theyre making everything with children illegal...yay theyre taking my child away and pumping them full of drugs because they found something wrong with my parenting, but thats OK its all for the children, gotta protect the children....we take your guns away for the children, were bombing syria to protect the children, were pumping you full of vaccines and filling your water and food supply with chemicals to protect the children.....

wow...the level of retarded logic and wilted reasoning ability is stunning....but hey, you guys enjoy your nanny state, you asked for it after all.

i would fully expect the ultimate conclusion of this kind of draconian control to be CONSISTENT in its exercise of policy making by not allowing advertising directed towards children in ANY fashion, because thats manipulation/indoctrination/victimization/expoitation of children too right? Oh wait, no, its only if it has any connotation of sexuality that it should be illegal because we absolutely MUST render children completely sexless androgenous beings and deny them anything that could be remotely construed as objectification based on appearance. This must also mean that when they go to the beach they must be fully covered like the muslim married women are because we cant have any perverts at the beach checking out girls that might not be of age.

This really could go on and on....you see, because once you start down the road of imbecilic thinking there is simply no end to how absurd it can get.....and as far as im concerned, if youre doing to do that, why stop now? Take it all the way baby!

pretty much everything I wanted to say.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Nicely done France.

Exploiting children for any reason should not be tolerated.

S&F

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

You make some good points, although I don't see this move as part of a larger plan to micromanage lives. I think beauty pageants are exactly what society does not need, and I would welcome a ban, globally, for minors. That won't happen of course since we all know advertising dollars always wins.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
They need to extend this to the modelling world.

Today one can see teens selling consumer goods and being overly sexualised. They are trying to sell to mature adults, ranging from 20-30yrs plus in some cases. This doesn't appeal to me at all.

And it looks peverse. One need not look far to see examples of this.

FAIL!

Let kids be kids. For goodness sakes. There's only one chance at childhood and ones teens years.

What the heck is this????

I don't even look anymore, I believe its trying to feed a market that quite frankly is perverted.

America and the UK should follow suit.

edit on 20-9-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
finally some country putting their head on straight about something. i detest childrens beauty contests. it's like a parent saying "hey sharks here's a dying tuna don't bite it okay? just look at it." where is the fishing contests like they had a decade and a half ago? but no the media has to sexualize children with the fuching disney channel. somebody should tell honey booboo about jon banet ramsey and tell her to go to school and get a life. sickening all these beauty pageants are i curse them
edit on 20-9-2013 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join