It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the White House was listed for sale?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

“Zilliow” is considered to be one of the most frequently searched real estate websites in the world. Zillow recently listed the historical and iconic home of the U.S President. Zilliow put the estimated value of the iconic White House near the $319 million mark.

Apart from putting a suggestive price tag on the lavish Presidential property, the website has even estimated that the White House can easily fetch a monthly rental of $ 1.8 million. The historical home was built in the year 1792. The entire construction process was completed at a staggering cost of $2,320,000 at late eighteenth century prices. That’s $56,585,365 in 2013 dollars!

The White House is considered as a symbol of the power of the American government and signifies the glorious history of the country. The extravagant residence of the President of America has been equipped with 16 bedrooms and 35 bathrooms. The mansion is situated inside a gigantic area and takes up 55,000 square feet of living space. Reportedly the presidential abode has been equipped with features like a centralized cooling system, a finished basement which also doubles up as an underground bunker in case of nuclear attack, barbecue area and a massive attached garage. The iconic villa is situated inside an 18 acre plot and comes with a large sized vegetable garden along with a plush green lawn.

The Zilliow professionals have estimated that the “White House” can easily fetch an exorbitant amount of $319 million in the open market at current price listings in the highly unlikely event that it is ever put up for sale. Zilliow’s listing for the White House at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW bears the description of a “magnificent 132 room mansion” and christens it as the rarest of homes in the US. The White House is not only the official residence of the First Family, but also houses two wings of offices that serves as a working pad for the President, the First Lady and top official staff. However the valuation represents a mere estimation of the website due to the fact that the White House would never ever be put up for sale. (Though the way things are headed, I’m not entirely confident)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The White House has always been for sale to the highest bidder. Lobbyists, Chinese, other foreign countries.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

imawlinn
The White House has always been for sale to the highest bidder. Lobbyists, Chinese, other foreign countries.

Ooooh, that's gotta hurt!

Not far from the mark there, for sure.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I'll start the bidding at ten bucks. Anything over a grand and it isn't worth it, the maintenance costs are high. To afford it at a grand, I would have to make it into a bed and breakfast.

We could get a bunch of people discussing things over coffee in the morning and accomplish more than congress does and it wouldn't cost a cent in salaries....except for the cost of the coffee.
edit on 20-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'll just wait until the owners can't pay their mortgage.

Then I'll pick it up cheap from the bank, flip it, and sell it to the Chines-. . . . . what?

Oh damn.

They already bought it.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
No thanks.

It's infested with roaches
(and I don't mean just the politicians)
Mice and roaches and mold ... and lots of ghosts and bad Karma.
I wouldn't touch it.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

Actually, I thought the Japanese already owned the White House.

Huh. .. surprising.

Though I don't expect it will Ever be for sale Publicly.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Wonder whats behind the question.
Are there plans to build a new one that the american people should know about?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm afraid the latest reports have the White House infested with rats and roaches. I kid you not, as I was reading this in headlines a few days ago. They've let it slide to the point of literally letting vermin come in and make themselves at home ...and that's not even talking about the humans in residence.

That would have to knock a few bucks off the sticker. Then again, whatever they spent almost a year constructing under the Fountain of the White House lawn? That probably more than makes up for it. Media people described enough concrete going in on trucks, day after day, to just about make a stadium with. Still..... White House claims just said they were updating and refurbishing infrastucture.

Yeah...and Cheyenne Mountain was just a lonely little outpost with fancy color screens on the walls.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Here is a link to the 2010 West Wing Underground Bunker Project.

White House Tunnel System

Gives pretty good detail of some of the things going on under the White House. Of course, this is what they have made public. God only knows what is really under that building. I can imagine all sorts of things.

One thing they mention which I thought was odd, is the fact that there is a trap door under the Resolute Desk leading down to the Secret Service "Horsepower" command post in the basement of the West Wing. At first it seemed a little "Scooby-Doo" to me, but I guess it makes sense.

edit on 20-9-2013 by jtrenthacker because: Words is hard

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

You know, I've seen that site before and ALMOST used it as a source to write a thread about the Fountain being literally removed from the White House lawn, for a short time, to build whatever it is they built down there. I wish I had their work crews for my house! Can you tell now that the Fountain wasn't even there for a time last year? I sure can't. They're GOOD. (Or the average worker has just gotten that sloppy in general..lol)

The thing that stopped me on that site?

Nope, this is not the official website of The White House. It's a parody of whitehouse.gov. No person, department, or agency of the U.S. Government approved, endorsed, or authorized this site. No animals were harmed while making this website (except maybe that one time when I was a little late feeding my dog his dinner).

That appears at the bottom and a few little things in the stories don't click right for me. So I dunno...

I do know they spent an ungodly amount of money building something HUGE down there and it took an ocean worth of concrete to make. I'd like to know what they are doing with our money while tours for the house above are too expensive to offer as a Government service.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the heads up Wrabbit. I didn't notice that little disclaimer. So do you think that trap door story is nonsense? What is POTUS doing in the picture? Sneaking a cig? Personally, I'd rather see him under it than with his foot on it.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Well, the rumors I've read over the years is that it's actually a discreet exit just off the Oval Office to a direct trip down from there. The desk doesn't make too much sense if you think about it, although sometime in the past maybe one was built for lack of technology to do more.

Now though? Okay... What would the situation be where the President is using such a thing in a near panic? Probably....an attack has occurred and on the White House grounds, at that. So...explosions and movement of things in rooms ..like desks...right over top of things like...trap doors. lol..

I don't think our ultra-paranoid Government would leave such a critical thing to such a fickle device. Although, again? It wouldn't shock me to see something from a past construction maintained in the Oval Office as a plan B to whatever they actually intend to use these days. Always plan B, right? And c...d...e...f..., It's Uncle Sammy after all.

* Hey I do want to add....Re: the secret subway system and so I don't sound all critical here? That map is about right to what an old friend of mine described for what she rode on, parallel with but totally apart FROM the D.C. Metro subway system. She was basically clerical and a gopher in a military intelligence office at the Pentagon. Playing courrier was one of her duties, so she saw some wild stuff around D.C.
edit on 20-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
$319 million? Does that include the colossal dry cleaning bills that would result from living in and around D.C.? I can think of no other way to eliminate the stench of douche that would quickly permeate ones clothing...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Only one truely awesome thing has ever happened at the White House, and even that could be more of an urban legend than a real event, and that would be Willie Nelson lighting up a naughty smoke on the roof!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Not too shabby for uk today

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

My, what a fun little thread.

You forgot the links bro.

www.zillow.com...

www.city-data.com...

319 million? I don't think so. Unless the security system comes with it. The comparables are crap, nothing about the financials are on the same level as the surrounding properties, you have rowdy neighbors always making noise outside your fence, the zip code is full of 20 somethings and 94% of the properties there are rentals. Know what rentals do to a neighborhood? They make properties unsellable.

Look at the big picture. I don't care if it is a 35 bedroom mansion, it's in the middle of the ghetto. Where are the city planners when you need 'em?, and I'll betcha that the colored help from the 17 and 1800's are still buried in the back yard.

If I did buy it though I'd turn it into a rec/education center for the neighborhood. Every inner city needs one.

edit on 20-9-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
well if you can't afford that, then you get this, or some other abandoned mansion. Just go to detroit and take yoru pick

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Even if I had the money, that place was way too ugly (IMO). The pool area looks cool though. I see all these super rich homes and most have gross décor. I guess money can't buy you taste. If I had that kind of coin, I would just have a home built to my exact tastes and standards.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
BTW.... I thought I'd drop back by to mention, for anyone who didn't know it existed? The Ronald Reagan Library in Southern California has a 1:1 exact copy of the Oval Office. Right down to using the same flooring from the same material used during Reagan's 8 years in the office. The guy at the open side (the left wall is missing, as it would be looking at the front of the desk) was also real Secret Service when I was last there a couple years ago, who worked the actual location. Some of Reagan's agents literally just retired into working the Library, so it's interesting that way too.

Anyway... The room is actually quite small and I was shocked by the difference. The majority of photos are always taken in certain ways to avoid highlighting overall scale of the room itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join