It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Message System Verklempt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
So may heat-felt messages from so many fine caring members, the emotions... it got the better of our database.

But Seriously

Okay... it's bad

Last week there were several repairs performed on our heavily-used, often-queried (every member page-load) private message database, and for a while it ran well. But this evening, simple queries to get your inBox were taking up to 20 seconds as more data corruption found it's way in.

I'm working on relaunching the private message system with a blank (yes) clean-slate a bit later. Then over the next few days, see if additional repairs can provide limited access for you to recover any messages you need.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks SO for the explanation..

I guess even the best ideas, have their snafu moments.

Good luck, and God speed.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Okay, we're back up with a virgin database. Be gentle.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
will all the messages that were sent but not picked up s.o still get there

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
Okay, we're back up with a virgin database. Be gentle.

LMAO

Appreciate the obvious dedication Skep.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Your a Good Man Charlie Brown

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Question.

I noticed back in the last version of ATS, that when we receive messages, the hot bar would let you know you had one, without having to actually check to see if you received one. Is there a reason why that isn't implemented on this version?

It did come in handy, and It was a great feature. I can only assume its more of a hassle coding it, and thats why we dont have it anymore or maybe its a bit taxing to the servers.

Just wondering SO..

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Thanks, Skeptic Overlord. I guess the message dump came at an opportune time as we are about to bring in the new generation of consoles (which seem to be starting at One with Xbox One) - our new A.T.S. look, as well!

In addition, I know from working in marketing for a bit that all of the major internet companies like Myspace, YouTube, Google, Facebook and such are kind of resetting the internet and the search engine and advertising rules and especially website designs to be more compatible with tablets.

I'm saying that a lot of changes are happening now in the electronic world, great timing for an ATS redo.
edit on 20-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Start Fresh and Clean.
I like that.
Maybe ATS could provide its members with a Secure Email System
while your at it.

P.S. No one will discover anything of much value in my personal messages
"secured" by your, as of now ,questionable methods.
For hardly anyone ever messaged me that i can recall besides staff.
Your Newly Formatted Site is really starting to solidify nicely.

Learning Curve = Great Stuff

edit on 20-9-2013 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Your recent Avatar reminds me of a Fat Convict I once knew.
Your gonna have to stick to something better than that.

No offence or anything.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Good to know that someone is always on guard
So it's possible that In-Box return to me in next few days?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Wildmanimal
No offence or anything.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

ah, the joys of technology!!!
thanks for letting us know what happened!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
As a German I am just impressed, that Americans have so many German words in their vocabulary... verklempt = verklemmt... interesting, did not now about this one yet

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Well, it happens. Too bad I had some gems in there

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the explanation. I was only really hoarding my applause messages myself, and a few in my outbox, nothing important though

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I've been meaning to clean out my inbox but you've done it for me ....Thanks

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This brings up an idea. How about a feature that you can send messages from your boxes to your registered email? That way when I get a gem of private message I can just back it up by sending it to my mail?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I have to confess that I half expected something like this. However, although I will miss being able to go back over past correspondence with my fellow members over the years, tis but a small matter, a trifling thing. I am just glad that the sites main function is still up and running, and that posting on the various topics up for discussion and debate here at ATS, and reading the thoughts and contribution of my esteemed fellow members, is unhindered by the changes made over recent weeks.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, or if anyone was having a problem other than me, but some of my longer messages could not be viewed; I couldn't scroll down to see the entire thing. I had to highlight the message and just hold the cursor at the end of the page to make it scroll down, then pull it up into view.

Also, I have sent an email about some of my threads not showing up in my profile, but haven't received a reply.
I have come across three that I know of where I was going to give a link to someone, only to find it was no longer there. I know there are more than three missing. I'm guessing, from the way it looks, half of my threads are gone.
Any way to fix this... I hope?!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join