It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 11 shot at chicago park

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Galvatron

All the "gun stats" I have looked at conveniently lump in gang on gang shootings, cops on criminal shootings, shootings that were self defense against criminals, and suicides in to inflate those numbers. Even then they pale in comparison to the numbers of violent crimes prevented with the use of guns. It is laughable.
edit on Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:14:04 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

HairlessApe

coldkidc
reply to post by HairlessApe

Name calling - nice & mature

Too bad all those laws up there didn't prevent this from happening

You probably think we need a few more & the problem will be solved huh?

You mean the laws that didn't get passed because of mass wailing by the uneducated?
Yea, I do believe they'd help. Worked for Australia.

Instead of pretending it worked for Australia why don't you come here and see that has not worked and the guns are still in the arms of criminals.

I have seen a increase of gun related murders since gun laws, now don't come back and say they are working, because they simply aren't.

You can post all your statistical information that is botched up to keep Australia wanting more tighter gun bans..

So rather than play mr a current affairs, actually check out the heads lines of local newspapers.

The Port Arthur massacre could of been stopped, if we had proper background checks in place.

but rather than do that, we would rather the criminals have all the weapons for them selfs because the good guys never need arms do they?

P.S
Congratulation not understanding what happens in Australia.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

Funny since guns are ILLEGAL in Chicago.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

TKDRL

All the "gun stats" I have looked at conveniently lump in gang on gang shootings, cops on criminal shootings, shootings that were self defense against criminals, and suicides in to inflate those numbers. Even then they pale in comparison to the numbers of violent crimes prevented with the use of guns. It is laughable.
edit on Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:14:04 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Dont forget the tried and true tactic of defining 20 year old repeat felon gangsters as "children" for the emotional capitol.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

You got your facts a bit wrong...

Firstly, most of gun controlled laws DID NOT PASS congress, thanks to NRA lobbying.

There is no single database that lists all gun owners and guns. NRA supporters are strictly against that. Are you reading news or following debates in congress? Wake up!

Secondly, as I already posted, latest research prove what we already knew, I posted links earlier, but thanks to government not being able to function properly, there is not much done on this.

This country need gun registry very badly...

And to those telling that more people die from car accidents - we do have to register car to drive it and go through driving test before you operate car - why guns should be any different???

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

I will agree with you as long as we can make sure people also register knives, hammers, swords, broken glass and anything else that can be used to harm someone.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

SuperFrog

This country need gun registry very badly...

To accomplish what, exactly?

Serious question. Everybody wants a registry. So why? What will it accomplish?

CT has a registry. Lanza's gun was registered.
NY has a registry. Nobody ever gets shot in NY.
Chicago, until very recently, had a registry. Nobody ever gets shot in Chicago.

Instead of making demands for the sake of demands why not explain to us dullards here what your registry will accomplish and how it will do so?

Canada's registry worked out pretty well for them, right?

So you know that gun X is registered to person Y. Okay, now what?
edit on 20-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thank you for pointing to current problem.

As you have already noticed, those separated registries are incapable to work by themselves. We need single, centralized registry for all guns, their owners. All guns produced and sold in country should be easily accounted for. Link the same DB with list of all mentally unstable, you will lower gun abuse. Do the same with all of those that have any criminal record, and there you go, many of mass shootings would be prevented.

Glad you were able to figure this yourself! Good job! Keep up good work!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Sadly, the only news to come out of my city nowadays are stories like this... The senseless violence being demonstrated on the South-West sides of the city is beyond ridiculous. These "gangs" are terrorizing these neighborhoods to the point that families don't know what to do... I know of many people who avoid the windows in their houses because they are worried about a bullet flying through and killing/injuring them, cause it does happen often.

I like to think that all problems have a fixable solution just waiting to be implemented, but I'm beginning to believe that this issue can't be fixed. When the Chicago PD refuse to go down these gang-infested areas/streets its apparent who is winning the game down there. What kills me the most is when I hear about another baby/child being shot and killed before there lives even began... Just a damn shame and I truly wish these gangs could find something better to do with their time...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Sure thing, you register your car as well you register scooter, bicycle, carts, ice-blades... don't be ridiculous... how often do you hear of mass-stabbing, mass attack with forks... You might impress 6 year old with your fault logic, but here we are all grownups, at least I hope so.

Irony of current situation is that you required research, you got it. It shows that guns are not making us safer, just the same as drone attacks are not making us any more safer from terrorist attacks.

ps. I recommend to switch from Fox channel to comedy central. Latest data shows that this is what really is happening...

edit on 20-9-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Yes because we need more laws that wont help law abiding citizens to protect themselves.

Dr.: So you have bad headaches.

Patient: Yes they sometimes keep me up all night.

Dr.: You have mental issues no gun for you.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Want to try again.
Grown ups blame people not guns.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

You want to try answering the question? Just try. Think real hard, take some time and try.

Simply saying something will is not at all like explaining how.

Without the how the will is just smoke up my ass. Now I know a lot of people are happy to act on nothing more than smoke up their asses but I require more information. I'm not giving you a business loan if you simply tell me your start-up will be solvent. That would be foolish.
edit on 20-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

It's a waste of money........ Look to what happened in Canada's experiment in a national registry. Did nothing of value at all, got scrapped. What makes you think one in the US would go any different?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

thesaneone

Want to try again.
Grown ups blame people not guns.

No, NRA members are not all grown ups.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I love your 3 year old mentality.
I think its cute.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Cars are a privilege, firearms are a right. There's the difference. Guns are explicitly mentioned as being fundamental to a society's well being, not from a criminal perspective, but from a perspective that the threat of credible force projection by the citizenry against the government is of utmost importance to preserving the republic.

I just finished reading the study. As far as statistical studies go, it ain't a good one. Having a BS in Economics and a Masters in Finance, statistics are really important to me. In a nutshell the AJM study basically says that there is more gun violence with more firearms per capita. It goes no farther. It doesn't break down the demographics, the regional differences in gun law, and a veritable host of other qualifiers. Basically it would be akin to saying "guns are dangerous". No #. The comedian Bill Burr put it well. Swimming pools are actually surprisingly dangerous. If more Americans had swimming pools, you'd see fatalities involving swimming pools go up.

The statistical trends are that gun violence is down everywhere in the US except for cities that ban or severely restrict them, but funny enough have huge gang problems.

The NRA as a lobby is in a peculiar position. People bash them for the practices (which I understand and many times agree with), but when people bash them as though they were some corporate lobby group I'm amazed. Lets assume most of their money comes from gun companies (it doesn't), they would still be lobbying for your rights guaranteed in the constitution. It would be as though there was an amendment that said a US citizen shall not be deprived of access to electricity, and then having a company like Reliant or GE paying a lobby group for you. You may not be on their side, Superfrog, but they are by their very nature, on your side. The NRA is always on your side, merely because you are a US citizen, whether you like it or not.

Very few lobby groups actually advocate the protection of a constitutional guarantee like they do.
edit on 20-9-2013 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

Edit: I'd like to address the comedy central bit. I don't watch TV, but it's clear you do. The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report, as much as I like them from what I've seen (they hold the feet of both parties to the proverbial fire constantly, left and right), they are the ultimate form of subversion. They trivialize important news that ought to make people riot in the streets by tempering it with comedy, making people laugh. The ultimate way to diffuse an eruptive situation is to get the other party, person, whatever to laugh. Basically people trust the news coming from these guys, and they should because for the most part it's pretty accurate. What I hate, and I do mean hate, is the fact that they put it in the guise of comedy. It completely disempowers both the effect of the news and the potential action by the audience in one fell swoop.
edit on 20-9-2013 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

NavyDoc
reply to post by Biigs

Cut out the big cities in the US, and you have a very low per capita murder rate.

Has anyone actually done this yet? It seems like the first thing a competent pro-gun person would do if they were actively involved in the "fight." Even though I have yet to see this data, and its methodology, I would be surprised if it wasnt out there.

I would be extremely interested to see the results. I think anyone with a level head can see that the guns themselves are not the issue. I have said it before, but if we were to put all of the finances and resources that we currently use to lobby guns (for or against) towards solving violent crime as a whole, I suspect we would see blatant improvement. And not just in gun crime, but violent crime as a whole (which, as many seem to forget, includes gun crime). Just a bunch of division that tends to be programmed into people, on all sides of the debate, to prevent any real solutions from taking hold. Why is it so preposterous to approach violent crime as a whole, which will reduce crime as a whole?

I have extreme reservations about Agenda 21, and what it will mean for violent tendencies within a society.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I am not the one who first called on faulty logic regarding cars.

Let's first start from amendments to constitution. Guns are added as amendment, and are 'right'. I agree with that, but that does not tell that guns should not be controlled and registered. Not everyone should have gun, we all should agree about that basic principle.

Reason in USA we have high violence is simple, there is not centralized gun DB that is linked to criminal and mental DB. At the time you get gun you might not have criminal record or illness. Later, once you do, there is nothing that points that your gun should be taken away for your well being as well for others well being.

And to mention previously ironic post, yes, if your sleep disorder leads to you starting to hear voices, sure, you should not be eligible to carry or posses gun.

Speaking of amendments and what many called their right - it was our (yes, I am an American as well) right not to posses, drink or sell any alcohol. How come no one is ever again calling for that amendment to be protected?

EDIT: It is our 'not politically controlled' news organization irony. Everyone know what TV news station is associated with what party, and that leaves neutrals with comedy central. In my opinion, they best show absurd in current politics and news.

edit on 20-9-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Serdgiam

Has anyone actually done this yet? It seems like the first thing a competent pro-gun person would do if they were actively involved in the "fight." Even though I have yet to see this data, and its methodology, I would be surprised if it wasnt out there.

The Brady Campaign used to have a "gun violence" map on their website that backfired on them when you noticed all the hot spots were in urban areas with heavy gun control and even outright bans.

If it's still there they've hidden it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join