It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists puzzled !! - Curiosity Rover Finds No Sign of Methane! Where Mars hide the Life ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has revealed no trace of methane, a potential sign of primitive life, on the Martian surface, contradicting past evidence of the gas spotted by spacecraft orbiting the Red Planet, researchers say.

The Mars methane discovery, or rather the lack thereof, adds new fuel to the debate over whether the gas is truly present on Mars. And not all scientists are convinced that methane is missing on Mars.

The first and only attempts to search for life on Mars were the Viking missions, launched in 1975. Those probes failed to find organic compounds in Martian soils, apparently ruling out the possibility of extant life on the Red Planet.

so where is everyone?? where they go?

Source : www.space.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
If there was life say a billion years ago would there still be traces of methane?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

This also confused me. I have seen many reports that have satellite pictures of huge methane plumes rising up from mars surface....so where are these sporadic plumes coming from if they cant be measured in the atmosphere by Curiosity?? maybe its like the movie Contact and there are aliens on mars with huge greenhouse gas machines releasing bursts of methane into the atmosphere to make it eventually habitable?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hi CHEESY!
I don't have any thing productive to add to your thread.
I just wanted to say that I enjoy them and have gotten to the point that I tell one of your threads by the title alone!
Quad

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Tq sir! i think Methane gas on mars buried deep into the mars surface..and out little by little..

but what they do if they know methane gas already gone billion year ago..weird..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Didn't know about the methane. Thanks. Gilbert Levin has been convinced since the Viking missions there is microscopic life on Mars. Plenty of other space objects with traces of microscopic life. Seems legit. Why not Mars?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NiZZiM

Methane — the simplest organic molecule — was first discovered in the Martian atmosphere by the European Space Agency's Mars Express spacecraft in 2003. On Earth, much of the atmospheric methane is produced by life, such as cattle digesting food. Methane is suspected to be stable in the Martian atmosphere for only about 300 years, so whatever is generating this gas did so recently.

Still, there are ways to produce methane without life, such as volcanic activity. ESA's ExoMars spacecraft planned for launch in 2016 will study the chemical composition of Mars' atmosphere to learn more about this methane.

www.space.com...

yes they find plume of methane gas! now they find no methane gas..what you say?
if you say there is an alien,here the story of missing Phobos satelite..

Phobos 1 was “lost” while Phobos 2 was able to establish an orbit around the Mars moon Phobos when it was “attacked” by a still unexplained space craft that showed itself in the last image beamed back to Earth before it was destroyed.
As some experts have noted that Phobos may be an “ancient spacecraft” marooned in Mars orbit, this report continues, the possibility that Comet ISON may be one too cannot be ruled out either.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
reply to post by cheesy

Didn't know about the methane. Thanks. Gilbert Levin has been convinced since the Viking missions there is microscopic life on Mars. Plenty of other space objects with traces of microscopic life. Seems legit. Why not Mars?

Thats why Scientists puzzled sir..No trace at all..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think Terrans are a little Speciesist, to be thinking all life across an unthinkably vast Universe is just like us and lets go a good blast of gas now and then as we all do here. Umm.. Life could be Silicon based or based on something we've not yet even seen. After all, we've done the equivlent of aliens dropping some probes in, say the Arabian 'empty quarter' and some of the more remote areas of Nevada, then started trying to make grand declarations. I mean scientists by saying everyone. Everyone is trying to make a name though, even if only on half-ignorant guess work.

We've all seen the odd pics of seemingly geometric surface features across the planet. Things with order and meaning....perhaps. Perhaps just odd natural patterns too. We've also all seen the photos clearly showing Lava tubes/Caverns/Caves or whatever the Martian equiv. is, by the breaks in the surface with structure below being clear.

Until man has at least dropped machines into some of the ..AHEM..most likely, and not least likely places some little scrap of life could have hung on somehow, then saying it isn't there is absurd by methane meters. The Space community really is confusing at times. One year they are hot to find it, the next? Almost hoping they don't, it seems. Continually back and forth.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I find a lot of times with NASA that when something is inconclusive it has a tendency to be an impetus for additional funding for a project or for a shiny new toy to carry out necessary tests to confirm previous claims. It is hit or miss though, the other side of the coin lending itself to the exact opposite result were a project could be cut off entirely. Time will tell I suppose.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Perhaps Curiosity is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Methane emission on Mars may be localised and seasonal.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

wildespace
Perhaps Curiosity is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Methane emission on Mars may be localised and seasonal.

Yeah really.

I cannot fathom of anybody of science would declare there is no life on Mars based on a lack of methane. Why on Earth (or Mars in this case) would they think a tiny tiny craft that wanders around a tiny tiny section of Mars would have ANY authority on what the rest of the planet holds? That seems to go past arrogance onto straight up stupidity.

If you took a cup of water from the ocean and found no fish, does that mean the ocean is devoid of fish? That's basically what they are doing here. Complete and utter stupidity, how these people get jobs doing this is something I cannot fathom.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Scientists haven't declared that there is no life on Mars, it seems to be a myth believed by anti-NASA and anti-science people.

Rather, we haven't found any evidence of life, or even of signs of past life, on Mars, so far. The next Mars rover will be actually looking for signs of past life.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

NiZZiM
reply to post by cheesy

This also confused me. I have seen many reports that have satellite pictures of huge methane plumes rising up from mars surface....so where are these sporadic plumes coming from if they cant be measured in the atmosphere by Curiosity?? maybe its like the movie Contact and there are aliens on mars with huge greenhouse gas machines releasing bursts of methane into the atmosphere to make it eventually habitable?

Mars has no magnetic field shielding the planet. This means Mars can not have an atmosphere, as anything that goes into the atmosphere is stripped away by solar winds. This is why when you hear people talk about adding an atmosphere to Mars you will instantly know they are ignorant. We have to add magnetic shielding first, possibly by jumpstarting the planet's core if it's possible.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

James1982

wildespace

Yeah really.

I cannot fathom of anybody of science would declare there is no life on Mars based on a lack of methane. Why on Earth (or Mars in this case) would they think a tiny tiny craft that wanders around a tiny tiny section of Mars would have ANY authority on what the rest of the planet holds? That seems to go past arrogance onto straight up stupidity.

If you took a cup of water from the ocean and found no fish, does that mean the ocean is devoid of fish? That's basically what they are doing here. Complete and utter stupidity, how these people get jobs doing this is something I cannot fathom.

Great now show me where NASA is saying there is 100% no life on Mars. I will wait for your link.

And just an FYI: A cup of water would have an abundance of life.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

James1982

wildespace

Yeah really.

Great now show me where NASA is saying there is 100% no life on Mars. I will wait for your link.

And just an FYI: A cup of water would have an abundance of life.

Y3s i will wait too..they spend your billion $ on this project..what will they say..

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
A few years ago, when writing to a friend who I knew had to help, had a window open and recognized him before coming here, he was dark haired, stuck in his room with healht conditions on a NAZI planet. At first I thought that was from somewhere else, but then I realized, this is the Nazi planet, and he has the health issues.

This is the Nazi planet.

There is nothing they release that you can believe whatsoever. They lie and control people with low level IQ religious cults instead.

They are beyond asshats, there is no words to describe the level of primitive brutal lower mind these renegades who enslave or harm others operate out of. They are the worst of the worst. You can't do worse than they have done, there are others as bad, but not worse than the corporate elites, bankers, royalty, para military and the leaders we elect and pay salaries to.

NASA lies, they always lie, they don't tell the truth ever. This is the NAZI planet.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That had nothing to do with the topic and made zero sense. Pretty much everything we know (including the earlier methane readings) comes from NASA.

top topics

join