It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis: Church's 'obsession' with gays, abortion and contraception means it could 'fall li

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

You would be amazed at how many Catholic practices actually originate with the pagans. They hate pagans, yet emulate their example. They despise wiccans, yet gladly exploit their practices. They denounce all nature-worshipping religions, yet ignorantly participate in their rituals and symbolry.

If only they knew.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

adjensen

bigman88
I have not began reading the 1611 kjv bible i bought yet, but as i said before, Catholicism does it's own thing; they worship other figures and people when God says not to do that, they make images of epic, fancy looking crosses, they prop up statues of various saints and priests, and even deities.

You don't have clue one about the Roman Catholic church. They do not worship anyone other than God, and if you have evidence of them "propping up a statue of a deity", apart from Jesus, you are welcome to present it.

They do this whole confession thing when you are only supposed to have faith in God for these things.

Well, you said that you haven't read the Bible, so I guess it's understandable that you missed this:

If you forgive anyone's sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven. (John 20:23 NIV)

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (James 5:16 NIV)

Those passages, and others, are the basis for the Sacrament of Reconciliation ("confession").

This whole multi-leveled hell concept is something they came up with.

It's actually something that Dante, a poet, came up with. It isn't church teaching.

The very visual essesnce of catholicsm is disturbing; black and red robes?!? Why? The pope and his insanely ornate get-up? Looking like the most puffed up of kings?

Here's the current Pope, Francis. Looks pretty meek to me.

The practice of baptism at birth is also done by several denominations, but still seems kind if useless anyway.

So, the fact that Jesus was baptized, and commanded his followers to "baptize the world in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit" is irrelevant, simply because you don't see the point?

More than just reading the Bible, you seriously need to go talk to someone who is educated in the Christian faith, because you don't seem to understand any of it.

1. Okay, take a look at this, please read
www.gotquestions.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">http...://www.gotquestions.org/origin-Catholic-church.html

www.jesus-is-savior.com...

2. It says that, but it says nothing about going to some priest sitting in a box, and THAT priest forgiving you of your sins, because he says so. I thought that was between you and the father, and he will forgive you when he feels you are sincere. That line you quoted is about transgressions against that person.

3. Made by Dante, okay. I learned something new. But why do Catholics or their priests talk about going to purgatory and limbo? Or am i making that up? Could have sworn i heard this talk.

4. My ass
encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com...:ANd9GcQVNOxPvTri13LqrPP-9U4axfnlKBp1YZp8rbl9f4xOq-p2Y2pUxA
So what if the current pope aint flossin for now?

5. You maybe got me on that, cant debate. But i would think that he meant to educate others, and spread the joy of the father, not literally go and dunk everybody in water. What good is that going to do if they are not sincere in their conversion? But i can be wrong here.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Some Catholics consider their religion separate and different from Christianity. But whatever...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

You would be amazed at how many Catholic practices actually originate with the pagans. They hate pagans, yet emulate their example. They despise wiccans, yet gladly exploit their practices. They denounce all nature-worshipping religions, yet ignorantly participate in their rituals and symbolry.

If only they knew.

Oh, the church knows, it's the pew potatoes who are ignorant. I grew up Catholic. Not once was I instructed to read my bible. We were given hand-outs of what to read. We were told what it said, and what it meant, but never once was I remotely encouraged to read it for myself or to think for myself. I had too many rules to follow, was too worried about a mortal sin, and too afraid an angel was writing down my every word, thought, or deed.

The Catholic church does a few things very well. They instill a belief in God, they encourage children to do the morally right things, and in school encourage reading (except for the bible). The Church has lots of ritual which we humans love and it gives us a sense of belonging through which outreach is done and despite the many failings of the RCC and other churches, a majority of charity around the world and in our communities is done because of Christians moved to help their fellow man. I am not saying non-Christians are not helping and not moved, but I believe if you look at the raw numbers of giving in money, time and resources, the Christian community outpaces all others combined.

The really sad thing, is few really have any clue about the true roots of their faith (RCC) or any idea of the paganism in the church. It's not bad if you are a pagan. I know lots of pagans, and have dabbled in it myself. The issue is in keeping the truth of what the foundation of Christianity is in Jesus /Yeshua and his Apostles as they followed his path and supported the Bible (Tanach). I feel the RCC and other denominations have watered it down, misapplied it and forgotten our first mandate, "To love one another and to preach the Gospel of Messiah".

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Some Catholics consider their religion separate and different from Christianity. But whatever...

Which is pretty strange if you think about it. Just one more thing that undermines the whole "absolute truth" spiel...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

bigman88
Some Catholics consider their religion separate and different from Christianity.

That's not true. Catholics consider their religion to be the TRUE Christian church.
The only one founded by Christ Himself. They call protestants their 'separated brethren'.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
You would be amazed at how many Catholic practices actually originate with the pagans.

All three of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Islam, and Christianity) have roots that can be
traced back through the Vedic texts .. through the Zoroastrians ... all the way back to the
Summerians.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think the difference, is the Tanach is a vastly different religion than those of the ancient world. The RCC brought in pagan practices that were NOT part of Judaism and not something Yeshua did. Nailing up trees, coloring easter eggs (fertility rights) and celebrating Saturnalia and calling it "Christ's birth" is a massive slap in the face to any true believer in the Tanach. One thing I know it that judgement starts with the house of God, and the world will see just what Yeshua thinks of his "church".

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

FlyersFan

bigman88
Some Catholics consider their religion separate and different from Christianity.

That's not true. Catholics consider their religion to be the TRUE Christian church.
The only one founded by Christ Himself. They call protestants their 'separated brethren'.

From the Catholic kids i debated with in highschool, yep, that's what they say.

I'm not disputing what you are saying concerning other Catholics, though.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Wow......quite a discussion 148 posts 5 flags....Hmmm

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bluebook

I heard this and was really encouraged because it harkens back to more Christ-like Christian values. People have tried to extract their own truths from the Bible which is fine until you go imposing those truths on other people who are minding their own business. He also said something to the effect - the measure of a society is how you treat the most vulnerable within it. I think this Pope is a refreshing change from those of the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join