It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Meat Sauce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well since my little man is taking a nap it's mommy's play time or as I call it cooking

I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while but haven't had a moment long enough to post it.

I love pasta and sauces but red sauce I can't always eat because it gives me killer heartburn.

But this time I made an exception and took some Zantac before eating. lol

I prefer white sauces...mmmmm. I can eat those with a spoon like one would eat brownie or cookie batter! I love red sauce but it doesn't like me. Sucks being Italian/Sicilian, you would think it's in my blood! Must be my German side from my dad that kills it. lol

I tend to prefer chunky meat sauces over thin and runny sauces...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yum!! S&F

Looks good hun... Could I make a suggestion though?

2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz size)
2 containers of Pomi Tomato Sauce

Fresh tomatoes would make it soo much better...

Skin the tomatoes... Pro tip: core the tomatoes and freeze them... then run them under cold water and the skins slip right off

Chop up lots of onions and some garlic... and toss it into a pot with some olive oil... and simmer until the onions are opaque (clear)

Toss the frozen tomatoes in a the pot... with a cup of water and simmer until you can mash them...

Salt and pepper the brew to your own taste... toss a handful of crushed oregano into the mix... to taste of course... and simmer for hours...(approx. 4) occasionally stiring...

Rip up some basil leaves and toss them into the pot once its simmered for that time...

Let cool... then start your sauce...

It makes a beautiful dish just by itself, and a wicked tomato meat sauce...

Its fresh, and no preservatives or other junk you get in canned materials...

edit on 19-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Akragon

Yum!!

Looks good hun... Could I make a suggestion though?

2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 oz size)
2 containers of Pomi Tomato Sauce

Fresh tomatoes would make it soo much better...

I usually use fresh tomatoes but I didn't have any. I know what a sin!! I would forget my brain if it wasn't attached to my body. I swear having a baby has sucked my brains dry! lol I always have tomatoes, always. I went to grab fresh ones and said a few words I can't say on here when I saw I didn't have any. lol I always have diced tomatoes on hand for this reason.
Usually I'd probably use about a 10-12 vine ripped tomatoes. I would just dice them up and toss them in instead of canned ones.

Skin the tomatoes... Pro tip: core the tomatoes and freeze them... then run them under cold water and the skins slip right off

I've never frozen tomatoes before. Good idea. I usually never have any left to freeze lol I use A LOT of tomatoes. What do you store them in? Ziplock bags or a container? I will have to do this this weekend when I go grocery shopping. I can buy double and do this, that way when my brain shorts out I have back up.

Its fresh, and no preservatives or other junk you get in canned materials...

Sorry but I don't think there is anything wrong with canned items but I actually use this Pomi but not every store carries it however all stores have canned tomatoes. These are also more expensive than canned tomatoes.

When I post my recipes I tend to change parts to make it easier for everyone to find or make. I also know not everyone has time to make many of my recipes so I change them accordingly. If I posted my truly 100% from scratch meat sauce and pasta it would take you all day to make. I make bread, pasta and the sauce all from scratch but I usually reserve that for a day when my husband is home and a weekend.

Pomi is my favorite go to for Italian goodies. It's not in a can and it's all natural and imported from Italy. I know Publix carries it and so does Big Lots. I find A LOT of good imported goods from Europe at Big Lots, who knew! I found some really good all natural semolina pasta there recently and it was delicious! I can't stand enriched pasta! It just tastes wrong. lol
Pomi

Thanks for the tomato freezing tid bit!

Your sauce sounds good too!

edit on 9/19/2013 by mblahnikluver because: link

edit on 9/19/2013 by mblahnikluver because: links

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Actually that Pomi stuff doesn't seem that bad... but I figured since it is tomato season...

Looks like they were shipped from Itally though... I always find Fresher is better...

I have more tomatoes in my house at the moment then I can eat in a lifetime... lol

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have a question. I'm very anal about overcooking my food so in knowing that, do we necessarily need to cook this recipe for a few hours? I mean, by doing so does it help impart the flavors better? Basically I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

When I make a meat sauce, My hamburg is still bloody when I throw it in to cook with the sauce. I to keep the most amount of vits. and nuts. from being cooked out. I know that the beef will be cooked further when being cooked with the sauce.
edit on 19-9-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Dame! I am making that this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

kimish
I have a question. I'm very anal about overcooking my food so in knowing that, do we necessarily need to cook this recipe for a few hours? I mean, by doing so does it help impart the flavors better? Basically I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

When I make a meat sauce, My hamburg is still bloody when I throw it in to cook with the sauce. I to keep the most amount of vits. and nuts. from being cooked out. I know that the beef will be cooked further when being cooked with the sauce.

Yes it makes a difference....

Longer cooking removes water and caramelises said yumminess... bringing out the flavors

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thank you for the reply

I can't wait to try MBlahs recipe. I'm gonna add a habanero though, cuz I'm crazy like that.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

kimish
reply to post by Akragon

Thank you for the reply

I can't wait to try MBlahs recipe. I'm gonna add a habanero though, cuz I'm crazy like that.

yup... yer frickin nutz...

Instant mouth implosion...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Akragon

Actually that Pomi stuff doesn't seem that bad... but I figured since it is tomato season...

Looks like they were shipped from Itally though... I always find Fresher is better...

I have more tomatoes in my house at the moment then I can eat in a lifetime... lol

Oh yea when I found that brand I was super happy. I prefer to get my Italian items from Italy if possible! They are more expensive but they taste so much better.

Do you grow tomatoes? If so you are sooooo lucky!

I have tried but it just gets too hot here and then they die. I had some on my porch a couple yrs ago that did pretty good until the landlord cut the trees blocking the shade and then the roofers trashed my garden. I was so upset!

I live in an apt which makes it harder as well. My mom grows them in her yard but her husband is a landscaper and knows what he can and can't grow. I got that hanging tomato plant thing and was wondering if that would work. I only paid 2 bucks for it at the flea market so if it doesn't work I won't be too upset.

Tomatoes here, the ones I use, are about $4 a pound and when on sale they go for half that. If I could grow my own tomatoes and veggies I would be all over it. I just don't have the room esp being in an apt and upstairs. I have a porch but there really isn't any room and the floor is big slats of wood so everything would drain down stairs. I freak when my cat gets a piece of food down there lol. If they had told me before we picked an apt and signed our lease that we can freely plant if we are downstairs I would have picked downstairs in a heartbeat!! I considered the downstairs end apartments prime real estate here lol You have so much space to plant in!!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Yup... I use an Upside down planter though...

You could make actually make your own shade if you tried one of these....

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

kimish

You can make it in an about an hour, sure. You can pretty much make it anyway you want and in any pot you choose, this is just how I prefer to make it.

You can toss all ingredients into a large sauce pan and cook it on the stove top with a a lid, which I have done when I didn't have a crock pot big enough. I would say I cooked it about an hour on med heat. You can't go too high with this pan or it will burn.

I used a pan like this:
6 quart Sauce Pan
I have a stainless steel Belgique one but it looks just like this. My mother in law gave me her set, she didn't like it because she kept burning things with it. I told her she was cooking things on too high of a heat! It's a nice set and I love it. I use it for everything, they are heavy though!

I like slow cooking because it does give it more flavor imo, it also helps it become thicker. If you just cook it for 20 mins it tends to be runny and not as thick and then the veggies aren't cooked. I have always made red sauce in the crock pot. It smells up the house too!

I cook the meat in the sauce pan so I can cook it with the wine and it gives it more flavor imo. Again it's just a preference.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

kimish
reply to post by Akragon

Thank you for the reply

Habanero

You and your habanero's!

I wonder how that tastes.....

What about making a spaghetti sauce that is like an enchilada sauce? I dont know why I have this thing for enchilada sauce lately. I swear I could eat it on a spoon lol When I do make it I wind up dunking tortillas in it like it's bread. lol

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

You and your habanero's!

Tastes like fire!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Akragon

You and your habanero's!

Tastes like fire!

Haha exactly!! My husband loves those things. I think he is nuts!

new topics

top topics

join