It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Earthquakes in SoCal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Is it possible its from the start of hydrofracting in your next of the woods? That would explain why it would feel like an "odd" earthquake and possibly the dropping feeling.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Battlefresh

Your feelings were spot on in my estimation. Japan just suffered a 5.3 about 20 miles south of Fukushima.

Can precursor tremors be felt in different parts of the world before a larger one goes off on the other side of the Pacific?

Let's hope this is the end of it. How much more can Japan take?

CdT

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

I was about 10 miles from the epicenter of the Whittier quake in 1987. THAT is the strongest quake I have ever felt sans the Sylmar quake in 1971. I was just a kid during the Sylmar quake and was at least 60 miles from the epicenter. However, the Whittier quake was a very long earthquake. I was on the couch feeding my baby first thing in the morning. I took him from my breast, rested him on the couch, and put my body over him. At the apec of the quake, I said to myself, I hope this doesn't get any stronger. That was a very scary experience. That is the closest I have ever been to an epicenter.

Lived in California all my life and have experienced many quakes. Nothing scared me like Whittier.

edit on 19-9-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I was 14 years old during the Whittier quake. It was just my mom and I at home and I was putting on my socks about to go to school when it hit. We cowered under the dining room table. Later I stood in the doorway for the after shocks.

My new theory is not to use doorways. I will attempt to get outside, or if that isn't possible lay alongside my dresser or bed as they are the strongest furniture in my house. My biggest fear however is being in this office during "the big one" as it is a concrete building, built like a house of cards.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Battlefresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

So crazy, my husband was at a stop light on the way to work when it hit. He said his vehicle bounced up and down off the ground. He said his tires left the pavement.

My sister was ready to go into an elevator to work when it hit, and everyone ran out into the parking lot.

If you were close to that quake it was pretty gnarly.

The Northridge quake was crazy as well. I lived in San Clemente and was prego with my second child. If I remember correctly it was about 3-4 AM. I awoke and the shaking was pretty good but I was on the second floor of my home which you always feel it stronger.

Anyone who has been close to an epicenter of a strong California earthquake knows what one feels like.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
W/ reports coming in like this from ALL over... East Coast, Yellow Stone, mid- west, sink-holes, large explosions, horn like sounds....

I'm 48 yrs old and have never experienced all these things going on til now. Something's going on. Is it HARRP ? Or a weapon used from other Countries (?) Is it our pole shifting sun (?) Comets (?) Asteroids (?) Out Government buying up Ammo for a war (?) Janet Napalotino warning her incoming replacement of a disaster to beat all disasters...

People!!!! I'm sick to death of people calling us crazy. Something's going on!! And we should be given the answers!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The people I know in Ventura County didn't feel a thing today. I wish all you Californians the best. I left there in 2007. I miss the weather every single day.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

whatnext21
I read these felt reports too and noticed that a couple of people have reported 'dropping' sensation? One from California and the Guam one for today.

Claremont, CA - The shaking was like a dropping sensation. It woke me up!

Yigo - Felt 2 trembles. More like a dropping sensation. Was sitting on the couch with my wife and we thought the dog had jump onto the couch.

edit on 9/19/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I found that odd too when I read those accounts of "dropping sensation".

I have read many accounts of different feelings but not that one. Just weird.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

The "jolt" part does seem a bit weird. Don't volcanoes do something like a "burp" now and then? Gases popping out or something? Are you close to any known volcanic activity? Do you have pets? If so, how are they acting? Do you have any feeling that you should not be there?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Only felt one EQ in my life. Am in indiana and was up real late around 4am when i felt like i was just about to fall asleep you know the drifting just before passing out. It lasted a bit which freaked me out so i did some searching and found about the EQ. Now the popping or dropping feeling would just be way to crazy i wish anyone around there the best stay safe.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

RELAX....THOSE WERE JUST AFTER SHOCK BECAUSE I WAS VISITING MY HOME TOWN IN S.CALI.

I AM BACK HOME NOW SORRY FOR THE SHAKING...I KNOW, IKNOW...I DO NEED TO GO ON A DIET BUT REALLY???

*one liner but I'm allowed due to me being an original prune picker(google if ya dont know what that term means...*spoiler alert...maybe over you head if ya was born to late...)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Just wanted to tell you that I totally LOVE your avatar...I am a rabbit person...in more ways than one!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I have a really weird feeling right now.

Are we sensing the same thing OP ? The hair on the back of my neck stands up
2 or 3 time a day for the past three days. I'm right here in Apple valley and haven't
slept thru the night once since monday. I don't see this thread helping that either.

BTW 1971 is the year of the most powerful earthquake I've ever experienced. Sylmar I believe. L.A.
bout 6 in the morning. Damn thing bounced me up off my bed scaling the wall next to to me. and moved the bed
two feet away from the wall and I landed on the floor, in between the bed and the wall. By the time my mom got to the room. I can imagine her horror of an empty bed. Right after the quake I was on the floor again, lmao.
[
edit on 20-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Interesting reports on these quakes.
I hope it's not the big one coming on the west coast.
It's a reminder to restock the emergency kit. Or make up one if you haven't already.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
California Geological Survey - 2010 Fault Activity Map

700,000 years is a moment in time regarding geological occurrences. In fact that is so recent it is entirely possible to have a quake at any time.

The real issue is just very few miles east of there. That will be the source of the so called Big One.

It is not possible that this would in any way be related to anything in Japan. I think I read someone asking about that.

When I attended College in the early 1970's for a while at Chaffey College, I remember a couple of quakes that were like you are describing. One threw me off a couch in fact. One quick jerk and that was it. Most were the marbles rolling on the roof type though.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I was on a Grey Doggie just coming into the L.A. area from the north on my way to Ontario. I thought we were just hitting ruts until the driver announced info about the quake over the speaker. That was my hello to my first time in that area. It was all my fault.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

There are different types of quakes. I have felt the "jolt" ones in the past. Sometimes they will start with a jolt and then they rumble after that. What is freaky is when you think your windows are gonna bust out. The long rolling ones are the scariest. They start out small and then they increase and get real strong and then settle back down. There are so many in California that you really don't trip on them.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

They all sound truly horrible. Closest I came was some years back, when there was a small one in the middle of the country-ish. Yeah, precise, right? I can't remember exactly where or when, but it was 2006 or later, I know. The morning it happened, I was still in bed, and felt a faint tremor where we live, that wasn't in the "zone" for picking it up. Very faint, and not in bed, I probably would not have noticed it at all. Lying still, I felt it, and the time matched the later news reports. I have no desire to ever feel a stronger one!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

In 1987, I was 10yrs old and lived appx 6mi away from the Whittier Narrows epicenter. I was getting ready for school when all of a sudden the earth started shaking violently! I immediately ran for cover, grabbed my little brother and headed for a nice steel stable in the kitchen. My older brother had gotten a head start walking to school came back running crying saying that cars were moving all over the place the telephone poles were swaying and the wires popping, just like in the movies. All this shaking caused the family to camp out in one room, ah the good ol' days of bonding time

It was a good thing that in school they had us practice how to take cover even though we didn't have a clue what an earthquake was, until it happened and yes practicing helped!

p.s. Fact: Most local residents don't know this but, Whittier Narrows> Legg Lake is a military installation that lays, yes you guessed it underneath the park and lake well hidden from ordinary civilian society. If you thought that was crazy, there is yet another military installation located a few miles at another popular location Santa Fe Dam in Baldwin Park/Irwindale. The craziest thing of it all is they both have military activity they've always had, most don't have a clue...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I grew up in So Cal just south of L.A. and can tell you that I do NOT recall and earthquakes the way you have described. Usually they have a bit of a roll so you know they are happening and can get out of harms way.

I left California a long time ago, because I was scared to experience the *Big One* everyone spoke about. California is LONG overdo for a catastrophic earthquake. The fear I had was about liquefaction. The fault lines under Orange County near Costa Mesa, Newport and Huntington Beach are a real threat. My college science department had the a partial wing sink after a small earthquake in in the 90s. That is real and measurable. Scary stuff there!!

I'm sure though, that this was just a jolt caused by a slippage, releasing energy like a pressure valve. *Crosses fingers*

I would though, be prepared with emergency supplies!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join