It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Earthquakes in SoCal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I have a really weird feeling right now. A feeling that something very out of the ordinary is happening in my neck of the woods.

This morning there were two earthquakes centered La Verne, CA just north of Pomona. Both of them were of similar magnitude (3.6 and 3.7) and both were described as a "quick jolt".

There are 3 things about these quakes that I find unsettling.

First, I grew up in this area and I have NEVER heard of an earthquake epicenter in La Verne. I searched the history of quakes here www.data.scec.org... and sure enough as far back as 1971 all I can find are the 2 quakes from this morning, but this alone is not what is so bizarre...that is what is next...

Secondly, the news has been buzzing around here about these small quakes, but interestingly enough there was a similar quake here just last week (on 9/11 actually). I was sitting in my office here in Pomona in the morning and suddenly I felt a very short and quick jolt. I could hear the building move. Luckily I was not the only one who felt it as the office secretary yelled out earthquake, but nobody besides me or her felt it. What is strange to me is this...when the quake happened last week I looked it up and it was listed. Now when I search for this quake it does not show up on the data centers records. However I did find a news article about it news.lalate.com...

There is also an article in the LA Times about todays quake www.latimes.com... however it mentions "In the past 10 days, there have been no earthquakes magnitude 3.0 or greater centered nearby" , but only 8 days ago the Times ran this story www.latimes.com...

The third and last strange thing about these quakes is the type of quake. Short, intense jolts. I've experienced hundreds of earthquakes in my life growing up near Los Angeles, but I cannot recall earthquakes like these before. They are over before they begin. They are just a single bump on the scale. Look at the very top row here pasadena.wr.usgs.gov... that is what was felt. All 3 of these Pomona quakes were of similar magnatude and length.

I'm not sure what this is means to us, but I have a feeling this is not your typical fault line earthquake scenario. We have a long line of foothills running right over the epicenter and I'm wondering if it's possible there is some volcanic activity. I'm probably paranoid, but Mt. Baldy looms above Pomona and I did find some theories that it could possibly be a volcano and even found a report from 1895 that it did in fact erupt and could be seen from Seattle www.historylink.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
My pet parrot flew off the cage when the first one hit and was just as scared when the second one hit.
It took two hours until he started to act normal.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Battlefresh

Another Pomona Valley denizen checking in. Quakes seldom bother or wake me; but the one at about 5 this morning woke me up before it happened.

I say bring the Big One.

It's the only thing that will bring us all together for more than 15 minutes.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Battlefresh

You mean underground explosions from the volcano? Cant wait to hear what our resident experts have to say about this report you have given. Nice job either way.

The only thing that came to my mind is first of all, not to worry, second make sure you have your emergency bug out bag with you as well as a plan for you and your family and loved ones. Be sure that you all have water enough for several weeks and the rest I think you know.

One thing for sure is that you are not alone in this.
edit on 19-9-2013 by antar because: fumble fingers

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Could be that you were very close to the epicenter of the event and you only felt the P-wave and there was little or no S-wave at your location. This also happens if the transmission path of the wave is through bedrock and there is no layer of sediment to reverberate.

When magma moves. I believe that would be a longer rumble vs. a pop. A pop is bedrock fracturing.

As for new fractures and faults, they are discovered all the time. Any fracking nearby?

hang in there.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I just posted to Olivine in this thread.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems as if you are not alone in the way you are feeling. Residents nearby are also saying the same thing. While reading earthquake-report.com... you can see for yourself many others are feeling uneasy.

This one comment stuck out.

Glendora - It was awful. The scariest moment of my life. I was shaken out of bed. I am leaving town. The big one is coming!!!

Many other " I felt it reports" are saying they have lived there their entire life and have never felt one like that. They are saying it isn't "normal" and many awoke before it actually happened.

WEIRD!!

Keep us posted!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Glendora - It was awful. The scariest moment of my life. I was shaken out of bed. I am leaving town.

I'm not sure if it is possible for Glendorans to survive outside of Glendora. It would be like returning zoo animals to the wild.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Awww.... I have an Aunt who lives there.

Just kidding.

Here is another from the same source linked above.

San Dimas - Lived in CA entire life, this did not feel like a "normal" 3.7

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

San Dimas - Lived in CA entire life, this did not feel like a "normal" 3.7

Yeah, San Dimas; I wouldn't take their word for it. I don't think they could explain how they could tell the difference between an earthquake and one of the Monster 4X4s that the locals insist on driving in that town. It's like "Jersey Shore", only with "Cowboys".

Sorry, I could do this all day, having grown up here.

edit on 19-9-2013 by Bybyots because: .

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Well, what interests me is the "I felt it reports". While you are used to this sort of thing and other residents are used to it, it's quite alarming when you read so many reports that say they were alarmed and how strong of a jolt they felt. Some speak of the loud BOOM sound, some were frightened and I usually never read that from residents of California.

Here is the link again if you want to read through the reports. I do on a daily basis. It's a hobby... EQ's that is.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Yes, MamaJ, all joking aside, it has been the only one that has gotten my attention since 94 Northridge. Although it was much smaller, there was definitely an 'unwholesome' quality to it, and it did wake me up before it struck; that hasn't happened since I was a kid. I awoke with a gasp. No joke.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

We get bad storms here in TN, but never have I felt an Earthquake. I can't imagine which would scare me the most as I have no way to compare.

Reading this morning though and now seeing Japan just had a bigger quake strike where a smaller one hit yesterday has me on EQ Alert.

I wonder WHY La Verne is feeling tremors when the last I checked it wasn't on a fault line. Even people in LA felt it. It was pretty small but I guess it being so shallow is the reason why so many felt it. IDK.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Bybyots

I say bring the Big One.

It's the only thing that will bring us all together for more than 15 minutes.

You mean the let's loot together kind of togetherness?

edit on 19-9-2013 by dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dumbass

You mean the let's loot together kind of togetherness?

No. Not at all. You wouldn't believe it, it's miraculous, we have a good sized earthquake, and everyone around here "nices up" real fast.

When Northridge hit, it lasted for 2 whole days. You would have actually thought that everyone liked one another.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Think about the days, weeks, months after 9/11. Our country was very close knit for a while there. Seems like we could use some more earthquakes around here.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maybe it was from an explosion as a part of underground bunker/base construction. I've read that theory applied to unexplained booming sounds elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I read these felt reports too and noticed that a couple of people have reported 'dropping' sensation? One from California and the Guam one for today.

Claremont, CA - The shaking was like a dropping sensation. It woke me up!

Yigo - Felt 2 trembles. More like a dropping sensation. Was sitting on the couch with my wife and we thought the dog had jump onto the couch.

edit on 9/19/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Yes, I can attest to the dropping sensation. It's very odd to feel the ground move down, and not back up during an earthquake.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sounds like rock fracturing instead of slipping. I don't know if that is bad or not, most of the quakes I hear about are slip quakes. Good luck OP, I hope it's not serious. It is strange that there isn't more info about these particular different quakes given to the locals there. The news station should contact someone and then put an article in the local paper so people would know more about what they just felt.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just a thought. Maybe Joe Brandt's 1937 dream was precognitive. Everything major described therein started with a small jolt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join