It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian scientists protest government muzzling of researchers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

"... the Conservative Harper government has been waging a kind of war against certain branches of scientific research, particularly any work that could potentially damage its efforts to extract oil from the Athabasca tar sands. To that end, the government shut down the Experimental Lakes Area in northern Ontario, and it downsized other research areas that are relevant to climate and the environment."

Canadian scientists protest government muzzling of researchers

Not too much in the line of Canadian news these days, but this is pretty important to me. There is a blatant and obvious suppression of scientists in this country. The government has even made it hard for the media to contact the scientists, "setting up a wall of bureaucratic red tape that hinders accessibility".

People are waking up and getting fed up with the feds. It's about time we take back our country and stop the gestapo from running won-ton. The lies and deceit from the current administration are no longer being ignored, but will we really have any transparency when all is said and done?

Something tells me that no matter what we do, at this point they're going to do what they want to... they are just so smug these days that they feel they don't have to hide their intent or their actions.

Journalists are calling for an end to these gag orders on Canadian scientists... it isn't just about the environment, there is much research suppressed in this country.

More on silent science in Canada:
www.canada.com...
www.vice.com...
www.huffingtonpost.ca...

Some of these gag orders have been in place since 2010, and people have been protesting them since the beginning. What will it take for the government to start acting on behalf of the people they represent?

I do not have the time to monitor this discussion right now, I just found out and wanted to pass along the information for anyone else who wasn't aware of this. I will check back later. But the everlasting question on my mind is... if they don't mind this gag order mess, what awful things are they doing and getting away with?

Guess we'll have to make them listen at the polls.... but something tells me that no matter how we vote the "haprer government" and not the Canadian government will win anyway!
:/

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
People are waking up to the reality that Science is being used as a huge mind control OP with a stealth agenda.

The true agenda behind Science is covering up the truth the REAL history of the Earth.

"The model of human prehistory built-up by scholars over the past two centuries is sadly and completely wrong, and a deliberate tool of disinformation and mind control. ...they demonstrate a systematic destruction of proofs that show another reality than that the official story. Falsifications and even destruction of such proofs has been common for more than two hundred years." LINK

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I've thought before that if there was ever a global currency, it should be tied with Joules, the fundamental unit of energy. At least that way we'd get a reflection of the world as it is, and its power structures as they are.

The world runs on energy, and the energy companies make more money than Godbecause of it. They can put pressure on anyone, at any time. They're tied into the most fundamental thing our society depends on.

But when I hear about things like the gagging of scientists, I see lackey forces, who smell the money and try to do things they think will "please" the oil companies to get their favor / money. These same lackeys would be happy to set up straw men to knock down if it made them look like the oil companies defenders, again in hopes of attracting favor. Problems like fracking related pollution are engineering issues, which those companies can afford to fix, and its in their long term interest to do so. The question is whether that fraudulent lackey culture will win out, or whether a more ethical path will.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Both very good points. In the articles I linked to, there is an obvious effort from the scientific community to speak out. They want to tell us of their research, they want to share their findings... they think it's important information. The awful thing about it is the overt suppression. The government doesn't even care that we know they're hiding something. How smug!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

stephen harper is a real piece of work for sure..he will shut down science..or parliment, whatever he doesnt want to deal with, has the rcmp as his goon squad during the g20, his mandatory sentencing crime bill, some of his senators caught defrauding us..and still in the senate..its so unfortunate that alot of canadians voted for them..well too many as its him having a majority that lets him do all this
had he won a minority govt he would still be able to some of the things he wanted but he wouldnt be able to railroad us like now
peace

edit on 19-9-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Scientists being suppressed, happens all the time, ya know.
Its nothing new

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Important stuff. Unfortunately, unlike the USA, Canada's government originally was and still is a corporate partnership. And the corporations still have all the drag in Canada. Every successful federal politician here is a corporate lackey. Most provincial ones are too. Sucks.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Actually, that sounds quite a lot like USA lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Doesn't it though. lol ...Which reminds me. Any news about the Continental Corporate Takeover? I got bored and stopped paying attention.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

You think it's another step toward the North American Union?
It's a possibility...

I wonder how much public backlash it takes for 'we the people' to start coming first again.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

You think it's another step toward the North American Union?

Censoring science and muzzling scientists was really big in the USA during the Bush era - and Harper is committed to that agenda, which includes the North American Union. imho, said Union has proceeded quietly, discreetly and without interruption since the signing of the "Free Trade" agreements - the key clause stipulates "harmonization" of our 3 nations' laws and regulations to facilitate trade. Science "facts" tend to disrupt "free trade" and the "harmonization" of nations' laws, particularly with respect to environmental and food safety - not to mention the always unacceptable interference with profit.

I think science has always been censored - even Darwin and his cronies hid the fact that female birds are promiscuous, supposedly to protect delicate Victorian sensibilities. The effect of the lie was to convince generations of randy, unsatisfied women that women are naturally monogamous and their needs were aberrations. Interestingly, generations of scientists and governments never corrected the "error." Wonder why not.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Hi Sof! Good to see you! I thought it was already a done deal when they agreed on the unified highway system going from south to north and Jason what-'s -his-name as Minister signed all the contracts. I think the new Windsor-Detroit bridge, which mainly (or only?) Canadians are paying for is part of the deal.

OP, Thanks for keeping this subject on the front burner. I am so fed up with the current government's strategy of deception that I've sort of tuned out. If you're interested, I wrote a thread on this subject five months ago here

Our water and ocean scientists have been laid off. We no longer receive radiation air reports and they have muzzled a lot more stuff related to Fukushima, such as birth defects or stillbirths in specific areas, for instance. We are losing our forests and clean water in order to feed the corporate greed of big oil and gas. And while I am not anti-development, the government has effectively killed all monitoring that would have allowed some equilibrium in those processes. Where I once trusted that consumers were protected somewhat, those scientists who do the testing are no longer there, so there are metals in things where there ought not to be, such as glassware for instance. They were our front line defenders and innovators.

Those of them who are still working are forbidden to even discuss their work. While I do understand how the bosses want to represent the department, I do not understand how the government policy will allow further work to go forward. I once had a project that had five phases of development. My boss muzzled me and spoke on behalf of the work without including me, a representation she did poorly and it resulted in the stifling of the project by phase 3.

A boss has other priorities and lacks intimate knowledge of the vision and all the mechanics involved in the work, so this policy I believe is an ass, plain and simple. The departmental boss also has an ego and a personal image to build and protect, and thus the probably more educated and knowledgeable scientist is set aside. It is disgusting. It effectively kills consumer protection and the betterment of society.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Could be but maybe far more reaching.
A dean at a uni in South America, once told me
not so long ago 'We have to abide by international agreements, when it comes
to research subjects"

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I have to agree with you... I try to talk to people about the Union and no one wants to believe it. That's how good a job they're doing at keeping it quiet. There has been much suppressed by science... or twisted. Archaeology has to be the worst. I was just so shocked to learn it was so obvious now. I do hope that the more the scientific community protests, the more people pay attention.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Part of me believes they''re executing Agenda 21 quicker now more than ever, at the same time as benefiting corporations and big oil. On the one hand, our government is protecting lakes and making a big show about sustainability and on the other hand, they're hiding some rather important scientific findings.

Great thread from April, by the way!

I wonder though if these protests are going to change anything... something tells me that nothing we do will change a thing.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

I agree about national security and such, but these scientists are protesting the muzzling of important research they feel the rest of us should know. Information about the environment, etc... I understand that some people can't handle the truth and would panic, depending on what the problem/new ideas would be... but that doesn't mean there should be no information released at all. and IMHO, there is no excuse for cutting back on research divisions they don't want information on.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I strongly believe that ATS is almost the only place that is aware of the agenda. My children, for instance, are just too busy with work and family to pay attention to the machinations of government or the stages of development of Agenda 21. So the more we spread the word, the more people will awaken.

new topics

top topics

join