It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British scientists claim to have found proof of alien life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

A team of British scientists is convinced it has found proof of alien life, after it harvested strange particles from the edge of space.

The scientists, sent a balloon 27km into the stratosphere, which came back carrying small biological organisms which they believe can only have originated from space.

Professor Milton Wainwright told The Independent that he was "95 per cent convinced" that the organisms did not originate from earth.

"By all known information that science has, we know that they must be coming in from space," he said. "There is no known mechanism by which these life forms can achieve that height. As far as we can tell from known physics, they must be incoming."

Some of the samples were captured covered with cosmic dust, adding further credence to the idea that they have originated from space.

http://w ww.independent.co.uk/

I'v always thought that the universe is pretty much alive, with life flourishing everywhere. This just shows that my thoughts are not that far fetched after all.

The team believes that the entities are coming from comets, which are big balls of ice shooting through space. The samples were collected during a meteorite shower from a comet. As they hit the earth's atmosphere, the comets melt - ablate, to give it a technical term - releasing the organisms as they break down.

I'll be making sure I grab my copy of the Journal of Cosmology for a more in depth explanation of what these organisms may be

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Journal of Cosmology describes itself as a peer-reviewed open access scientific journal of cosmology,[1] although the quality of the process has been questioned.[2][3][4][5][6][7] The journal was established in 2009 and is published by Cosmology Science Publishers. Rudolph Schild is the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor.[1]

Source

Doesn't look too promising with the reputation of the journal involved.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Pinke because: Clicked too soon

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Chandra Wickramasinghe says he's found alien life again? What is this — the ninth time?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Pinke
reply to post by n00bUK

Journal of Cosmology describes itself as a peer-reviewed open access scientific journal of cosmology,[1] although the quality of the process has been questioned.[2][3][4][5][6][7] The journal was established in 2009 and is published by Cosmology Science Publishers. Rudolph Schild is the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor.[1]

Source

Doesn't look too promising with the reputation of the journal involved.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Pinke because: Clicked too soon

Clearly you misunderstood my post.

I was merely saying that there will be a more in depth article published in the Journal of Cosmology, not that they claimed to have found these organisms. It was Professor Milton Wainwright and his team from Sheffield University that found the organisms.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

It was Professor Milton Wainwright and his team from Sheffield University that found the organisms.

In a team led by Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe , sorry but this was posted last week .
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Chandra Wickramasinghe, Ph.D.,
Executive Editor, Astrobiology,
Journal of Cosmology
journalofcosmology.com...

edit on 19-9-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Hi, according to the newspaper, Prof. Chandra Wickramasinghe gave a lecture on the findings. If that's true, you shouldn't take it lightly. However, I've seen the attempt to connect this prof. to the "Chandra x-ray observatory" which is not true, the honor goes to another prof. (Prof. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar). So the question is: how much credit are you willing to give to Prof. Chandra Wickramasinghe?
Regards

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I thought this was another report of the diatoms in meteor - but its far better than that!

Actual space aliens riding comets!

I wonder if there is enough time to have some samples collected from the near pass coming up with comet ison?!

s+f

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 2timesOO

So the question is: how much credit are you willing to give to Prof. Chandra Wickramasinghe?

How much credit are you willing to give to anyone who has a history of making unsubstantiated claims ?
ATS search Chandra Wickramasinghe and you should find your answer .

Here's a starter ....
Egg found in Martian Meteorite

edit on 19-9-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add link

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

It's hardly surpriosing though is it. For those of us who don't believe we are the unique creation of a God, where did we come from?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

It is unfortunate that some insist on making unsubstantiated, and in some cases highly questionable claims, but it is hardly unusual for people to do so.

There are many well known faces on the international BS merchant countdown. However, that is not to say that all claims of life existing in the stratosphere are are false. I am pretty sure that this is not the first I have heard of life forms being found in the upper reaches of the sky, nor the first time that it has been suggested that the extent of the biosphere ought to be re-imagined.

However, I believe the first I heard of these very high altitude critters, it was being suggested that they had attained these lofty perches by way of hijacking the hydrological cycle, being drawn up from oceans, lakes, rivers and streams along with the evaporating water....

Interesting to say the least of it, but the alien claim ought to be backed up by peer review.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
My apologies guys, I wouldn't of posted this if I had known it had been reported by somebody with a bad reputation.

I'm interested in everything alien, just not savvy enough to know who to believe or not.

Mind my ignorance ATS, this is why I stick to only posting reply's

edit on 19-9-2013 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

gortex
reply to post by n00bUK

It was Professor Milton Wainwright and his team from Sheffield University that found the organisms.

In a team led by Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe , sorry but this was posted last week .

Journal of Cosmology

More on Wickramasinghe here:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

gortex
reply to post by n00bUK

Journal of Cosmology

The Independent is quite upfront in saying that this is Wainwright's team, at the U of Sheffield, not Chandra's. Chandra merely did a presentation elsewhere on the findings, Panspermia is Chandra's thing, so he would be interested. It was the same thing with the 'red rain organisms' found in Pakistan. Chandra was not the finder it was another scientist, Chandra again was interested.
edit on 19-9-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

smurfy

gortex
reply to post by n00bUK

Journal of Cosmology

The Independent is quite upfront in saying that this is Wainwright's team, at the U of Sheffield, not Chandra's. Chandra merely did a presentation elsewhere on the findings, Panspermia is Chandra's thing, so he would be interested. It was the same thing with the 'red rain organisms' found in Pakistan. Chandra was not the finder it was another scientist, Chandra again was interested.

With the greatest of respect to Chandra Wickramasinghe and other professors who have given many, many years to the field of Ufology each time they investigate something and find so-called 'proof', the 'proof' turns out to be false hope. Mr Wickramasinghe has a habit of making claims that he's found "XYZ" but in the end whatever he finds doesn't turn out to be anything mindbogglingly wonderful nor does it present the field of Ufology with new evidence.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The second image looks like an angel embryo lol. It also resembles the famous stange u.f.o on the atlantis shuttle launch.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

smurfy

gortex
reply to post by n00bUK

Journal of Cosmology

Wainwright is a former Cardiff University cohort and co-author of Growth and replication of red rain cells at 121 o C and their red fluorescence and "SARS—a clue to its origins?"

More recently, Wickramasinghe has hypothesized that elementary living organisms like the lichen-forming alga spores present in the red rain in Kerala are of extraterrestrial origin, and that pathogens as the SARS virus also arrived on Earth from deep space carried in asteroids and comets. However, these speculations lack support from the scientific community and are at times published in the fringe Journal of Cosmology.

On May 24, 2003 The Lancet published a letter from Wickramasinghe, jointly signed by Milton Wainwright and Jayant Narlikar, in which they hypothesized that the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) could be extraterrestrial in origin and not originated from chickens. The Lancet subsequently published three responses to this letter, showing that the hypothesis was not evidence-based, and casting doubts on the quality of the experiments referenced by Wickramasinghe in his letter. A 2008 encyclopedia notes that "Like other claims linking terrestrial disease to extraterrestrial pathogens, this proposal was rejected by the greater research community.". In a comprehensive review of the subject Gabriela Segura commented that "the concept of astral bodies grazing the Earth's atmosphere or impacting Earth directly, depositing microbes and viruses on Earth which may combine with Earthly microbes producing new strains of viruses and contributing to evolution and diseases, is daunting to say the least."

edit on 19-9-2013 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2013 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

ProfessorT

smurfy

gortex
reply to post by n00bUK

Journal of Cosmology

With the greatest of respect to Chandra Wickramasinghe and other professors who have given many, many years to the field of Ufology each time they investigate something and find so-called 'proof', the 'proof' turns out to be false hope. Mr Wickramasinghe has a habit of making claims that he's found "XYZ" but in the end whatever he finds doesn't turn out to be anything mindbogglingly wonderful nor does it present the field of Ufology with new evidence.

With the greatest respect to all, my point is not about the truth or otherwise of what we have here, it is crediting the correct person with these findings, and that person is Professor Wainwright and his team, as the independent states.
As far as Chandra and Hoyle et al are concerned they went out on a limb with their theories, quite brave I think in the snobby scientific enviroment that we have. But then Tesla in his day was considered a nut, and even today some things Tesla said are still considered nutty.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wainwright is "published" in the fringe, non-peer reviewed Journal of Cosmology, of which his colleague Chandra Wickramasinghe is the "Executive Editor, Astrobiology Cometary Panspermia"

His "independent work" has Wickramasinghe's panspermia all over it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

draknoir2
Wainwright is "published" in the fringe, non-peer reviewed Journal of Cosmology, of which his colleague Chandra Wickramasinghe is the "Executive Editor, Astrobiology Cometary Panspermia"

His "independent work" has Wickramasinghe's panspermia all over it.

We know that, Wainwrights work on this IS about Panspermia. Are you saying Wainwright is wrong to experiment on Panspermia? if so, don't tell me, tell Wainwright. Wainwright is also At Sheffield university, that's nothing to do with Chandra, he is at Buckingham, and also Carlisle..he has two professorships.
Here's a short note on Panspermia, or Exogenesis, and those, (nut jobs?) who have shown interest in the subject It's not Chandra's of Hoyles idea it goes back a long way.

"The first known mention of the term was in the writings of the 5th century BC Greek philosopher Anaxagoras Panspermia began to assume a more scientific form through the proposals of Jöns Jacob Berzelius (1834), Hermann E. Richter (1865), Kelvin (1871), Hermann von Helmholtz (1879) and finally reaching the level of a detailed hypothesis through the efforts of the Swedish chemist Svante Arrhenius (1903).
Sir Fred Hoyle (1915–2001) and Chandra Wickramasinghe (born 1939) were influential proponents of panspermia. In 1974 they proposed the hypothesis that some dust in interstellar space was largely organic (containing carbon), which Wickramasinghe later proved to be correct. Hoyle and Wickramasinghe further contended that life forms continue to enter the Earth's atmosphere, and may be responsible for epidemic outbreaks, new diseases, and the genetic novelty necessary for macroevolution.
In a presentation on April 7, 2009, physicist Stephen Hawking stated his opinion about what humans may find when venturing into space, such as the possibility of alien life through the theory of panspermia.

“ Life could spread from planet to planet or from stellar system to stellar system, carried on meteors."

edit on 19-9-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

With the greatest respect to all, my point is not about the truth or otherwise of what we have here, it is crediting the correct person with these findings, and that person is Professor Wainwright and his team, as the independent states.

Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe was part of the research team .

The research was conducted by Professor (Hon. Cardiff and Buckingham Universities) Milton Wainwright from the University of Sheffield, Chris Rose and Alex Baker from the University of Sheffield’s Leonardo Centre for Tribology and Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe Director of the Centre for Astrobiology, University of Buckingham.
www.sheffield.ac.uk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join