It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Free Flow of Information Act” Targets Independent Journalism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

The fact that the US Senate is now defining what a journalist actually is sets a dangerous precedent threatening the present marketplace of ideas that in recent history has been greatly expanded by the internet.

According to the text of an amendment sponsored by Senators Diane Feinstein and Dick Durbin to the proposed “Free Flow of Information Act” (PDF) that passed the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 12, only salaried journalists will be given the free press protections guaranteed to all US citizens by the Constitution.

Under such a law presumably only the news reporters and analysts employed by moderate-to-substantial revenue-generating news entities are regarded as “legitimate” journalists. This is because the Feinstein-Durbin amendment’s wording is especially vague on exactly what type of news organization the writer needs to be affiliated with to be able to comment and report freely.
www.activistpost.com...

Klik for video and more reading.

Folks this is not a Lib thing or a Con thing, control the flow of information and you control what people think,Diane Feinstein and others need to go and take this is blatantly anti American act with them,they are after Wiki leaks and whistle blowers in general so their corruption and incompetence may not be exposed, if they continue down this road the more we will have to turn to sources like Anonymous and cut out main stream govt controlled media.

edit on 19-9-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

"Free Flow of Information Act."

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

2+2=5....

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I believe they made "gov't propaganda" "legal" again in some stupid kind of act.

These people in gov't really need to be removed.

They must really be scared of something more than just american's freedom, which we certainly haven't taken advantage of in the last couple of decades.

What are they going to start doing? Jailing bloggers? Is this what it's going to take to wake people up?

Can you imagine that criminal holder trying to prosecute free americans on some kind of trumped up charges?

Guess they've done it to military men/women on blogs.

I just need to add - I refuse to watch any "news" on tv after watching that criminal kerry do the syria "testimony" on tv. "Saudi Arabia has said they'd pay for our military intervention" Our people as mercenary soldiers to die for some other country! fyck you.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Ex_CT2

"Free Flow of Information Act."

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

2+2=5....

Is Neo awake yet which pill did he take??

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Happy1

I believe they made "gov't propaganda" "legal" again in some stupid kind of act.

These people in gov't really need to be removed.

They must really be scared of something more than just american's freedom, which we certainly haven't taken advantage of in the last couple of decades.

What are they going to start doing? Jailing bloggers? Is this what it's going to take to wake people up?

Can you imagine that criminal holder trying to prosecute free americans on some kind of trumped up charges?

Guess they've done it to military men/women on blogs.

I just need to add - I refuse to watch any "news" on tv after watching that criminal kerry do the syria "testimony" on tv. "Saudi Arabia has said they'd pay for our military intervention" Our people as mercenary soldiers to die for some other country! fyck you.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

Yes that's exactly what they are going to do just jail bloggers,I for one was kinda slow about Govt conspiracy stuff but more and more I can't help but think those who I once considered conspiracy nutjobs maybe right, after all this stuff is blowing up right in front of my eyes and it matters not who is at the helm someone else is controlling the helm's man actions.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Good ol Feinstein strikes again.

never has there been a senator so set on subverting individual liberty and rights.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
This isn't so much an attack against 1st amendment as it is attack against whistleblowers. Press never had any special rights vs. individuals. However they now want to change it so that whistleblower protection is only valid if the leak is given to "real journalist". So if your friend leaks something to you they can arrest you for not revealing who the source is. You wouldn't be able to publish the material either. They want you to trust the big outlets with potential leaks.
I personally wouldn't trust 99% of media outlets with anything valuable.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

This really is disturbing. The governments know they are loosing the information war and are looking at ways to kerb independent new media outlets. MSM is going down the pan and with it the propaganda machine. They are desperate if they are resorting to such methods....
It is a shame this thread is not getting more attention. Put a thread up on gun control and everyone is on it. Freedom of speech restrictions and no one notices. Information is a far more powerful weapon than a gun and more important.
edit on 26-9-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

“Free Flow of Information Act”

I wonder how much the comedian who comes up with these names gets?

Maybe they just promised not to kill his children in front of him.
edit on 26-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join