It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook "Mass identity suicide": 11 million users from US and UK delete their accounts!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

liveandlearn

I am amazed at a few people who continue to post their political rants on fb. I removed my 'like' of Ron Paul last year because of the NSA concern and only post an occasional reply or like to family and dance friends.
Really interesting how many people have dropped out...good on them.

If you "give up" because of fear, "they" have already won....without a fight.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I do believe the government is monitoring many people via social networking, but I sometimes wonder if some of this stuff is overblown intentionally. The Internet has been responsible for a lot of awareness about government corruption. What better way to shut the masses up than by creating fear of speaking publicly about politics and other controversial issues via social networking. We see here how many people have deactivated their Facebook accounts due to this fear. That's millions of people who no longer share information with others.

I mean, realistically, if they are actively targeting so many millions of people who talk against the government, then why are we not hearing more about the Feds knocking on these people's doors and giving them a hard time? Every now and then we read about the FBI or the Secret Service doing that, but not as often as you would think considering how many people use the Internet and how much social unrest there is.

If they are really trying to weed out the dissenters, then I should have had a knock on my door long ago. Frankly, I am going to say what I want. I don't say anything about the government that I wouldn't say to their faces. I won't shut up...and I'm not going to deactivate my account because of the NSA. They can stick it.

edit on 20-9-2013 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Everything else does... Why not that?

Never joined, and never will. Nor twitter... Nor any of the other social medias. This is about as personal as I get on the interwebs...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I deleted my account about 90 days ago, in part because of NSA spying concerns.

I don't miss it a bit. Well maybe a little.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

That is 11 million that probably should not have joined in the first place since these threats, and possibilities were always there. Everyone has always said that what you put on the internet STAYS on the internet. Are these people just catching on?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

seagull
reply to post by VoidHawk

Everything else does... Why not that?

Never joined, and never will. Nor twitter... Nor any of the other social medias. This is about as personal as I get on the interwebs...

There are people who always think someone is spying on them or even CARE what they are doing and I find that most of the time it is just simple paranoia that stems from something earlier in life that violated their trust. If you have nothing to HIDE then social media serves it's purpose of connecting you with your friends and family so you can share photos and stories. The original intention was no more diabolical than that. Of course the IMPLICATIONS ARE INCREDIBLE and people have taken them to the edges of acceptance and beyond. Did gov't overstep it's boundaries? Yes, but we knew that they would. Everyone knows there are certain things that should only be shared in private. Some people SHARE everything online and then wonder how everyone knows. LOL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

cheesy

people becoming self aware and becoming smart!!
Will you also delete your facebook account?

Read More
Source : voiceofrussia.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk... .html
edit on 18-9-2013 by cheesy because: Giving Link source

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read. People stopped posting personal information about themselves on a social network because they were afraid...the NSA might read it? If anyone was worried about personal information being read online, they would not be opening facebook accounts and posting it in the first place. Why are people so stupid.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Jchristopher5
I deleted my account about 90 days ago, in part because of NSA spying concerns.

I don't miss it a bit. Well maybe a little.

Can you please explain what NSA concerns made you delete a facebook account?
I get people maybe deleting private email accounts or taking things down from public servers but you do not join a social networking site to um...keep your stuff private.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 1104light

Clearly, I had other reasons for deleting my account. Primarily, I was tired of seeing stupid posts from my "friends". I could care less who found a bargain at Target, or in seeing little juniors 21st video of his first steps, or in seeing the stupidity of people telling the world, for example, they were on vacation (in others words "please rob my home while I am away"). Plus, I had just had a big "Facebook argument" with my adult sister (we are both in our 50s). I was just done.

But, back to my NSA concerns. I just don't see any reason to put out even more information, including the identity of family and friends, for the spying authorities to collect. My views are somewhat extreme in some areas, and I would prefer less possibility of intrusion from the authorities.

Don't forget, Julian Assange once commented that Facebook is the greatest invention ever for massive government spying. He is an expert, and that stuck with me.
edit on 20-9-2013 by Jchristopher5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I love my facebook...I do a lot of research from there to here...and from here to there...and then back again...I do not see the problem...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I deleted all my old Facebook posts.

I cut my 'friends' list down. I had over a hundreds but I cut the ATS friends out. Now I've just got family and neighbors. About 50. (I had about 50 ATS Facebook friends)

I figured I didn't really know the ATS people very well and if they did something really strange then I'd be 'friends' on Facebook with them and that would red flag me.

I do plan on getting rid of my Facebook account (not sure how to do that) as soon as my daughter is out of college. Having an account is an easy way to keep track of her so I'm keeping it for now. BUt as soon as she's out of school .. that account is to be deleted (just have to learn how to do that).

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i've never had a legitimate facebook account but i do have one, none of the info i post is about me but a fake character i have created. i only use it to play games sometimes and to talk to friends/family who all know its really me.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Exactly what I do rayuki !!

edit on 9/20/13 by bluebook because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I cancelled my account couple months ago (you can't delete your account) because of a privacy issue. They had a map on my homepage showed where I lived and places I logged into facebook at. I sent the moderators a pretty mean message, telling them they were invading peoples privacy. Couple days went by and Facebook took the map off of people's main page but it's still there under places.

They changed my address on the map, now it says I live in Jacksonville Florida (which I don't). I think some moderator logged into my account from that location just so it would change to make me happy. There a bunch of lowlifes who sell your info to the government. How else did they get rich so fast, from sponsors? HA!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
To late and That doesn't change anything . My guess would be if you want to really disappear from NSA .. You have to fake a death scene where you being erased from the population register.

And take on your new identity aka Jason borne ..

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I haven't deleted my facebook profile yet, but I've reduced my usage of it down considerably. And by that I mean that I barely ever use it anymore. Mostly the only time I even check it is if someone posts an event and invites me or I need to contact someone through the messenger. Of these two things, I probably use those features MAYBE once a month. Facebook is so boring compared to actually living your life.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I deleted mine Post Edward Snowden / NSA Scandal. That was the Final Straw so to speak along with Marc Suckberger becoming more Intrusive by the day.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Jchristopher5
reply to post by 1104light

Clearly, I had other reasons for deleting my account. Primarily, I was tired of seeing stupid posts from my "friends". I could care less who found a bargain at Target, or in seeing little juniors 21st video of his first steps, or in seeing the stupidity of people telling the world, for example, they were on vacation (in others words "please rob my home while I am away"). Plus, I had just had a big "Facebook argument" with my adult sister (we are both in our 50s). I was just done.

Great, those are all good reasons to delete an account.

But, back to my NSA concerns. I just don't see any reason to put out even more information, including the identity of family and friends, for the spying authorities to collect. My views are somewhat extreme in some areas, and I would prefer less possibility of intrusion from the authorities.

I do not understand that. You do not think people could see these things before the NSA was spying on you? Do you understand how the internet works? Do you know what happens when you post things on social networking sites? Spies do not need to spy on them. We can all just look and always could. See my confusion?

Don't forget, Julian Assange once commented that Facebook is the greatest invention ever for massive government spying. He is an expert, and that stuck with me.
edit on 20-9-2013 by Jchristopher5 because: (no reason given)

He did not "stick with you" he knew what the rest of us already knew. When you post things in public, they are public. What better way to learn something about someone then to go where they post things about themselves in public. This is common sense. It was common sense before anyone heard of facebook.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

The only people left will be those who have nothing to hide and opinions they don't mind sharing.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
lol u cant delete ur facebook account buddy

article is lying and so is your post

it is impossible to delete your account, hear me? impossible

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join