It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Onequestions Vision of the Future, The Matrix Has You ATS...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I was definitely inspired by some of what they talked about on that podcast, i forget which number it was. Also, as a gamer submerged into science in technology it was easy for me to develop my own vision.

I just think the tank is going to take us somewhere new...

Ohh yeah, and Duncan is a little weird but hes awsome, i really enjoy the way he thinks its really on another plane.
edit on 19-9-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Before we start talking about full immersion VR or a matrix-type movie situation, we have to consider the practical side of things. For instance, the internet didn't start with facebook-like sites or online gaming. It started in the military and then it found its way into universities to network different researchers. More succinctly, people were envisioning the internet as far back as the 1940's and probably much earlier. In the 1960's and even after there were many mainframes hooked up to terminals and in many ways that's similar to what happens with the internet with the clientserver relationship. So there was a lot leading up to it. Another thing is that business people long ago could see the value in networking their different sites and potentially having people work from different varied locations, even from home. If it were not for all this and more, the internet probably wouldn't be here today. As anything, information technology can be used for practical real world applications that have solid benefits or it can be used for less respectable things, like online gaming.

So... when we consider full immersion VR we must ask how will it be used for practical real world applications? What purpose will it serve? It's not good enough to imagine people hooked up to computer networks living their lives in virtual worlds, you must produce practical justifications for the real world that can "pay" for all of it.
edit on 19-9-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

jonnywhite

So... when we consider full immersion VR we must ask how will it be used for practical real world applications? What purpose will it serve? It's not good enough to imagine people hooked up to computer networks living their lives in virtual worlds, you must produce practical justifications for the real world.

I talked about this in my post at the bottom of the last page. I am not sure if anyone got it?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Dustytoad

jonnywhite

So... when we consider full immersion VR we must ask how will it be used for practical real world applications? What purpose will it serve? It's not good enough to imagine people hooked up to computer networks living their lives in virtual worlds, you must produce practical justifications for the real world.

I talked about this in my post at the bottom of the last page. I am not sure if anyone got it?

Another idea is remote surgery. Full-immersion; I'd imagine it'd be better. The problem is that by the time there're full immersion surgeries, there'll probably be fully autonomous robotic surgeons who don't need remote operators...

BUT I think people controlling robots remotely may have a value. Look at this:

By by the time we have full-immersion, maybe robots won't need us? Again, it's the same question of which outpaces the other to become the dominant technology. If robots don't need us to operate them then there's no reason for full-immersion to be researched and developed to control them. However, perhaps it'd be something like transformers or gobots or the total annihilation game(s) where some people immerse their body or brain inside a robot and attack fully robotic converts whom they're at war with.

What about therapy or robotic prosthetics attached directly to the brain or directly to nerves? The youtube video linked above shows a robotic arm attached to her brain which she is controlling. Obviously, hte technology has advanced to the stage shown in the video, but that's a far cry from full immersion. I still think It needs to be something that can really boost the economy and/or play an integral role (like fossil fuels). On the other hand, healthcare is a big industry and is playing a role in advancing this immersion technology. All that has to be done (once the technology is in place) is to reroute the interface so that instead of going to robotic parts it's going to an avatar in a virtual world.

And finding practical applications is just the first step. Who knows what will change between now and then? Ultimately, we don't know and all of this is conjecture. I'm sure the people who like to play online games too much are giddily lining up for the matrix, ready to plugin, but they may have to wait until it has a reason to exist for the vast majority of people.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Full emersion robotic technology for surgery might be better.

It will provide us a way to grant affordable, maybe even free healthcare to the people who really need it not just the wealthy.

I don't want to hear nonsense about losing paying jobs either because we have the technological capabilities to provide everything we need for everyone. The rest is bull#.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The oculus is great to combine with a headset like Emotiv:

www.youtube.com...

It's almost like humans are being trained for the first time to control thoughts and see the effect of it in a different way.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I f*ing hate this artificial world.. People are so brainwashed by technology, never realizing the body can do ALL of those things.

I cant stand living in this black and white, artificial society any more.. Peoples minds are vegetables, meanwhile they fuel their bodies with garbage, and put more time into playing with toys and watching screens then they do fixing humanities BIGGEST issues!

Like war, starvation, homelessness, criminals, corrupt govenment, plastic, GMO... We put billions of money every year, in every developed nation, and really make no more progress then the medevil times! When entertainment of your mind becomes more of a priorty then a healthy lifestyle and harmonic species with the planet... Well, the future looks pretty disconnected internally..

F*d up world we live in, and yes artificial technology has A LOT to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join