It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does a slab of a diamond get as cold as slab of concrete?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Random thought popped into my little brian: How does diamond handle temperature compared to other metals? I apologize asking for a spoon feeding. But I looked up diamond wiki and a couple other sites, and I quickly realized it would take me a few days to go through all the vocabulary I don't know yet.

Casts fishing rod....

Oh, as in 'slab', I mean, I plan to have diamond floors throughout my house in the future. Wanted to know if I would need slippers or not during winter.
edit on 9-18-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Is that you, Mr Trump? lol....

Please define what you mean by Diamond? You can't mean a floor literally made up of diamonds for the surface. If there is something else you mean with real good insulating properties, I'd sure like to hear about it! I'd kill for enough aerogel to insulate the outer walls of my home ..but, well, no one asked little old me if I wanted some.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Mugen
Random thought popped into my little brian: How does diamond handle temperature compared to other metals? I apologize asking for a spoon feeding. But I looked up diamond wiki and a couple other sites, and I quickly realized it would take me a few days to go through all the vocabulary I don't know yet.

Casts fishing rod....

Oh, as in 'slab', I mean, I plan to have diamond floors throughout my house in the future. Wanted to know if I would need slippers or not during winter.

Diamond is "a metastable allotrope of carbon," not a metal. And it doesn't ever show up in large enough size and quantity to become "slab."

en.wikipedia.org...
www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Since neither will burn in Minecraft (the only environment known to man where you can make blocks of diamond), I am not sure it matters.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ha. No. But let me add, after we begin interstellar travel, we can go to the planet, star, moon or what ever, made up mostly of diamond. and mine. Unless, after interstellar travel, we find another more exotic magic element. ??

Along with OP question, how does synthetic diamond handle temperature versus pure diamond?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

randomtangentsrme

Diamond is "a metastable allotrope of carbon," not a metal. And it doesn't ever show up in large enough size and quantity to become "slab."

en.wikipedia.org...
www.thefreedictionary.com...

I didn't know that. Good to know.

Would it help if I said, "hypothetically speaking?" Would it be freezing cold? Or just neutral? In cold temperatures?

EDIT: I'd like to add that my signature had no influence on this idea, or maybe it did. But the sig is from Sublime

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Mugen

Since neither will burn in Minecraft (the only environment known to man where you can make blocks of diamond), I am not sure it matters.

haha!!

I was thinking minecraft too... What the hell is a slab of diamond?

The biggest diamond ever found is not much bigger then a clenched fist... does that count as a slab?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You guys have no idea how real minecraft really is.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

I am sure. So long as if it is real life, it isn't in survival mode.

There are elements that we likely cannot create here on Earth (see: Stealth Paint for an exmaple). But leaving this solar system in my lifetime is likely to not happen.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

True enough...

but I know theres no such thing as a slab of diamond... thus far

edit on 18-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Since diamond, like many other materials, does not generate heat or energy, it will eventually approach the ambient temperature of its surroundings.

As for its thermal conductivity, it most likely differs greatly from most metals.

If your future "diamond floors" are not in direct contact with the outdoors, thermal conductivity will not be a factor and they will maintain the ambient temperature of your rich abode, and your tootsies will stay warm in your ruby slippers.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

As best as I know it would respond similar to granite, or slate. But I have no proof of this. If you are willing to indulge my opinion, I would say it's cool in summer and probably chilly but not freezing in winter.

As one of (if not the) hardest substances known to man, I would think you'd be in the $100 million (labor and material) to do a 15 ft square of diamond.
I would recommended a different substance.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
There are elements that we likely cannot create here on Earth (see: Stealth Paint for an exmaple). But leaving this solar system in my lifetime is likely to not happen.

Yes, "likely". And I agree, not in our lifetime....

reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Hmmm, ok. As long as my feet stay warm.

randomtangentsrme
As best as I know it would respond similar to granite, or slate. But I have no proof of this. If you are willing to indulge my opinion, I would say it's cool in summer and probably chilly but not freezing in winter.

This is basically what I was thinking.

The diamond floors was just a visual I was trying to portray to get a better idea of what I was thinking.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
the last time i tried to freeze my diamond slab beside my slab of concrete they cooled at the same rate.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

short answer = slippers

long answer :

the key stat to understand = " thermal conductivity " [ in short - how readily heat will ` transfer ` to or from another medium in contact with it ]

and "specific heat capacity " [ in short - how much energy is required to raise the temperature of a given mass by 1 degree celcius ]

a floor [ a solid ] in direct contact with your feet [ another solid ] will "attempt " to achieve thermal equilibrium with your feet

so a substance that conducts heat well AND requires a lot of energy to raise its temperature by 1 degree / unit mass - will " feel " colder than a poor conductor that requires minimal energy to raise its temperature by 1 degree / unit mass

that understandable

I am not going to " spoon feed " you - by giving or explaining numbers - but google the 2 properties for diamond and other substances

and you should understand for yourself why " slippers " is the short answer

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
It's an odd question
I don't think you can get slabs of diamond. It's not a metal. A precious stone I think.
Concrete is freezing , so I would say its colder.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I'm guessing it stays a neutral temperature.
Diamond us a very hard stone, might be the hardest. It can't be melted down.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I dont think you would need slippers, if you can afford slabs of diamonds for floors surely you can afford several young ladies to roll around on it in front of you to warm it up

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

as it is carbon - diamond burns - leaving you with nothing but a puff of CO2 -its ignition temp is quite low 800c IIRC

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

It is more accurate to say that a large enough deposit of carbon has never been located on Earth. There have been various musings as to the possibility of finding such large deposits under enough pressure to cause the formation of diamond megastuctures at the centre of gas giant planets like Saturn or Jupiter. How a person might go about recovering those deposits under that kind of pressure however, is another question altogether, which can only be answered by saying, "with considerable difficulty!".

new topics

top topics

join