It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowden In Top Running For EU Human Rights Award

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Former National Security Agency contractor turned whistleblower Edward Snowden is in top running for the Sakharov Prize, a prestigious human rights award handed out by the European Parliament and whose past recipients include Nelson Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi. Snowden, currently living in Russia with temporary asylum status, was nominated for the honor by the European Green Party. “Edward Snowden has risked his freedom to help us protect ours and he deserves to be honored for shedding light on the systematic infringements of civil liberties by U.S. and European secret services,” declared Rebecca Harms and Dany Cohn-Bendit, leaders of the left-leaning Greens, in a statement reported by Reuters.

Well good for him he should get something for throwing his freedom away over a bunch of useless information. He gave no info that anyone that has been paying attention over the years didn't already know.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You said "Well good for him he should get something for throwing his freedom away over a bunch of useless information. He gave no info that anyone that has been paying attention over the years didn't already know "

But he came out w/ documents proving it. Just because we speculated and basically knew we didn't have the proof.
This guy is a hero for what he's done!!! If he comes back he's done!!!

Useless information? Wasn't useless to a lot of people including myself. I wonder if you would do the same thing... Because doing whats right and possibly getting a bullet in your head is a scary thing. Besides.. Leaving everything you know and love behind for the greater good of our Country when a lot of people ( ahem ) could give a # less what you've lost.

He did not give out useless information !
edit on 18-9-2013 by tracehd1 because: Add/ fix

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

We gotta stop agreeing like this. People will start talking or something. lol.....

We could always chip in and send him one of those big stuffed animals of clownish size you always see a couple people with at the State Fair. That sounds about equal value to what he released. I was expecting a bit more than what is actually across the open net, not to mention less traveled but no less 'public' areas, long before he ..whistled.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

THE REST OF THE WORLD IS SHOWING THEIR TOTAL DISRESPECT, DISTRUST AND ANGER REGARDING THE UNITED STATES / NSA'S TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THEIR PRIVACY, SECURITY AND LACK OF RESPECT OF THEIR SOVERIENTY.
ONCE UPON A TIME, THE U.S WAS THE PRIDE OF THE WORLD PREMOTING PERSONAL FREEDOM AND RESPONSIBILITY.. WITH THE DEFENCE ACT, WE HAVE TOTALLY SET THE STAGE FOR COMPLETING THE THIEFT OF ALL FREEDOMS.
THERE IS A FACT THAT THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS LOST.... EVERY OATH THAT IS TAKEN BY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, PEACE OFFICERS AND THE MILITARY SWEARS TO DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION AGAINST ALL ENEMIES INCLUDING DOMESTICS...
THE ROUGE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS IN THE U.S., THAT HAS GUIDED OUR NATION INTO THE MESS THAT IS DESIGNED TO STEAL OUR FREEDOMS. GOD HAD BETTER COME BACK SOON AND RE-BLESS AMERICA.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

buster2010

Well good for him he should get something for throwing his freedom away over a bunch of useless information. He gave no info that anyone that has been paying attention od if all goesver the years didn't already know.

buster2010 That statement of yours is false............Everything revealed by Mr Ed Snowden was hitherto unknown by all. His new revelations have astounded the world and have changed the way countries will be doing business from this point forward - hopefully for the better.

This potential award to Edward Snowden of the Sakharov Prize might very well lead to Mr Snowden's nomination to receive the Nobel Peace Prize ..........aahhhhh such sweet justice with respect to the fraudulent award given to obama.

"Sir Edward Snowden" - a true American hero - thank you for your dedication to truth and integrity in government and for your honorable service to our country. America is proud of you!

edit on 18-9-2013 by YodHeVauHe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Edward Snowden did not do it for the awards. This award should be the least of his concerns. If we really want to thank him properly for his services, we the people should overhaul the government and reform the White House. Retake control of the country we represent as a society, as a democracy. Make sure his sacrifices weren't in vain. That's the best 'thank you' we can possibly send him.
edit on 18-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

F4Driver

THE REST OF THE WORLD IS SHOWING THEIR TOTAL DISRESPECT, DISTRUST AND ANGER REGARDING THE UNITED STATES / NSA'S TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THEIR PRIVACY, SECURITY AND LACK OF RESPECT OF THEIR SOVERIENTY.
ONCE UPON A TIME, THE U.S WAS THE PRIDE OF THE WORLD PREMOTING PERSONAL FREEDOM AND RESPONSIBILITY.. WITH THE DEFENCE ACT, WE HAVE TOTALLY SET THE STAGE FOR COMPLETING THE THIEFT OF ALL FREEDOMS.
THERE IS A FACT THAT THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS LOST.... EVERY OATH THAT IS TAKEN BY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, PEACE OFFICERS AND THE MILITARY SWEARS TO DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION AGAINST ALL ENEMIES INCLUDING DOMESTICS...
THE ROUGE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS IN THE U.S., THAT HAS GUIDED OUR NATION INTO THE MESS THAT IS DESIGNED TO STEAL OUR FREEDOMS. GOD HAD BETTER COME BACK SOON AND RE-BLESS AMERICA.

Get some glasses all caps isn't needed. What makes you think the rest of the world had total trust in America before Snowden? And America hasn't been the "pride" of the world for decades. And God had nothing to do with the creation of America.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

buster2010

Well good for him he should get something for throwing his freedom away over a bunch of useless information. He gave no info that anyone that has been paying attention over the years didn't already know.

He confirmed with proof what many of us knew, and brought mass attention to it.

Its only useless if we allow it to continue...

So yea, I guess it was useless.

ETA: Caplock guy, n00b tip, most people see Caps and they gloss over the post, or endlessly mock them so your pick.
edit on 18-9-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

buster2010

I disagree about Snowden not making a difference. He has mainstreamed the issue of the NSA spying and raised awareness worldwide. Even my daughter's teen friends make comments about how the NSA is watching their social media posts. When something like that comes into the consciousness of teens you know it has gone mainstream.

Great work Mr. Snowden.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I’m with buster2010 on this one. Maybe it’s because I’ve worked for so many years as a developer/analyst in the IS/IT field for large corps that it’s jaded me when it comes to this sort of thing. But, when it first broke in the Guardian awhile back my first thought was, “This is a newsflash”? I thought everyone knew this stuff. I mean, we’re talking about a “spy” agency in the aftermath of 9/11 and the birth of the Patriot Act.

Now, I’m not saying I’m a fan of the Patriot Act, Big Brother or anything else of the sort. As a matter of fact, it kind of bothers me how we’ve lost so much of our freedom in my lifetime, and I don’t see it getting any better for the remainder of my life. But, my dismay about it has nothing to do with Ed Snowden’s so-called “revelations”, because he didn’t reveal anything to me that I didn’t already assume.
I mean, seriously, I feel like I’m under suveillance every time I walk out my front door. Every time I connect to the Internet I know I’m broadcasting my presence to the world, and every time I visit a website I know my personal data is at risk. The NSA probably doesn’t know any more about me than Google does, for that matter. It’s just part of the price I’m obviously willing to pay for using these wide open services.

The issue that concerns me the most is that our technology is far outpacing our wisdom to control it. For all the wonderful things it provides us, there’s always the flipside of that very same technology which dark and sinister forces will use against us. For all the magic it could bring to our lives, I’m afraid in the end it will do us in. And it’s not like we can stop it. We can’t just call off further technological advances until we learn to wisely use what we’ve got. I’m afraid the genie’s out of the bottle, and we’re in for one hell of a roller coaster ride. What a shame...

But, as far as Snowden is concerned, he hasn’t opened my eyes to anything at all and will get no gold stars from me. I may catch a few spears and arrows for that, but it’s my honest HO...

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I Hope he Wins it so bad. He deserves it because thousands of other workers would not sacrifice their Families, Cushy Job, & Good Money. I'm not saying it's an easy thing to do & they should have all done it, & that's why he deserves it. Plus it will be a Crush to Obamas Narcissistic Ego. The guy who wanted to Reform the Patriot Act went ahead & put it on Steroids, using it at his disposal. When he said Trust us where doing Good Things, & Biden covered his face laughing It Pissed me off. Karma is a Bitch Boys & American Citizens will get the last laugh. What don't come out in the rinse come out in the Wash, & I can't wait for that shoe to drop.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Why the hell would a paid spy be awarded some bs award.
wtf did he do to deserve it? he told you he was watching you all and you cheered him on.
That really sounds award worthy to me.

edit on 18-9-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
He brought a real and noteworthy discussion into the dog and pony show and forced it onto the table. Try as we might there aren't many better examples recently of people getting real discussions put up front these days...

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Jesus, when did espionage become ....sexy?
Did Alger Hiss get a human rights award?

top topics

join