It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X in a nutshell.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

edit on Wed Sep 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
OMG. Reading this thread makes me want to b*tch slap every generation.

Generation X--If I see one more time a Gen X being proud because they rode a freaking big wheel, I'm going to scream. It's juvenile. We're grown ups. We are also one of the most cynical and hardened generations. That said, we don't need to sit there and act as if we are somehow the superior generation because the others somehow fail. That's stupid. You should know better than that. We're the kids that spent our childhoods waiting for a damn nuclear bomb to drop on our heads at any moment because of a Cold "War" with the USSR that never came to be. You should all be amazing propaganda detectors from that little game and frankly, you should know better that off-setting blame to large groups isn't going to do jack to fix a problem. Keep being cynical but where it actually holds some tremendous value. Generational b.s. gets nothing done.

Now, everybody...take a deep breath, say "screw this generational b.s." and work together. Playing the blame game and pointing fingers never did anybody any good. Let alone pointing fingers at some "other" generation. I was Gen X. I say screw this kind labeling b.s. Why do we have to always be so divisive? Party lines, gender lines, religion, the color of one's skin...we have to be divisive based on generation, too? Don't you get that this is generational propaganda specifically geared to...divide? Ya'll should know better than that. All of you in all generations.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

wow. i Starred you. but you need to settle down.

I think you have issues beyond this website. u kan deny but the thruth is obvious.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
We never hear much at all about Generation x . The media in Australia ignores gen x .
About Obama being a baby boomer , so is Hillary , so is Tony Abbott and crew , at least Julia Gillard had some gen x's.

Where are the successful Gen x's? Where are the future leaders ? after all baby boomers have to move over sooner or later. lol cheers 1%

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

as a Generation Planet Xr

Generation X wasn’t surprised. Generation X kind of expected it.

Very interesting share OP

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

Gen Xer's are busy working, trying to pay off their houses, taking care of either their parents, grown-children, grand-children - sometimes some of both.

While the post-hippie-liberal babyboomers are - raising our retirement age - spending our "social security" on illegal immigrants - doing everything they can to start WW3, and send our children to die in the ME.

We all should be cynical, and throw out these career politicians who have been living off of - and getting fabuosly wealthy - on their inside trading gimmicks, sucking off our hard earned taxpayer dollars.

I was born in 1963 - so I am either last of the babyboomers - or first of the genXer's.

I just turned 50 - I'll never see the "social security" I've been paying into since I was 14 years old - they'll just keep upping the age that I can collect it. But, they'll give out free money to every illegal that can walk across the border.

We all know the stock market is going to crash - What about healthcare? obamacare will not work ever -

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

I was mainly thinking that Gen x is generally ignored in the media and was looking for the more inspirational x's out there . There must be some !!!! whew.

Also I am a 1967 model and i started work at 15 , from what I understand (which could be wrong lol) I am classified as a gen x.

If someone could clarify which years each generation covers , that would be good , there seems to be a fair bit of confusion there. Cheers
1%

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whouwanttob

Whatever. Last I checked though, this wasn't facebook where I usually saw this kind of generational ego stroking and finger pointing on a daily basis all throughout the day. I hate propaganda and I know that this particular type of propaganda started to rear its ugly head back in 2011 in response to protests largely filled with Millenials. That's when the buzz word, "entitled" really started getting abused. So you bet, I have serious issues with propaganda.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I love this. Great read. Being gen x, I tend to agree. Especially with the grin and bear it part. I went from a 250,000 house to an apartment to a small comfortable home. This all through four good jobs that somehow left, in all different ways all economy related. Never had a chance to complain, just keep trying to climb my way back to the middle class(if there still is one!). Have experienced all different levels of stereotypes based on my job at the time. What I have learned is worry about happiness and learn to survive. Have become way less dependent on money and more dependent on the fact that my family is healthy and we are eating.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Boomers...love to slap all the hippies that sold out and became GREEDY life sucking Neo Con Corporate suits!

Not only did they become what they were fighting they sucked up all the resources when they were in their 30's and 40's feeling so entitled and now they will take our inherence with them, leave us with the bill and this dried up husk of a world!

Now all we need to be is broke, jobless and walk the earth forever as undead masseuses...

Thank your Father kids!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Seems odd so man persons seem to claim that they can distil reality and its outcomes to generations of people. Even if this was possible in the past I'm fairly certain the interwebs ruined that pattern for everyone kind of like sliced bread must have put a huge impact in its generation.

In my time, we had to cut our own bread! *shakes fist*

Ja well, in your time you didn't have like five billion TV shows to watch and all these movies to organize by genre into folders and text messages to answer and people to yell at on forums and naked people all over the place and entire knowledge repositories dedicated to pictures of confused cats! YEAH! Take that!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well, as an X Gen, I relate.

I don't know where all these entitlement accusations come from in these replies- me and my entourage were repeatedly taught that we do not deserve anything, and never will have anything, because we're a bunch of demon spawn that ruined our parents precious freedom by being born. We got it.
I think that is the point. There's really no reason to keep repeating it.
Now we need to do research and studies to prove "this generation is f*cked." ?
Where the heck you been man? That's like, old news, dude. DUH.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I've always felt that bitching over generational gaps was ridiculous. People who happen to be born of particular circumstances, acting like human beings. It feels idiotic like partisanship rivalries.

Why don't we just focus on the problems? The longer we keep bitching the fresher the stink.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Back in June
This passed through the news mill ...

Huffington / Generation X has suffered massive loss of Wealth

Those born between 1966 and 1975, belonging to Generation X (1964 and 1980), lost more than 55 percent of their net worth from 2001 to 2010, according to data released by the Fed

in June 2012

It appears that while the tiny 30 Million gen-x'ers,
sandwiched between the 100 Million boomers and 150 Million Gen-y's,
have little say in this country,
that didn't stop the Huge crash of 2008 from fleecing us Gen-x'er disproportionately.

Did you know that?

One of the best comments from the article...

some epic timing, to be sure. not only was gen x right in the prime home buying years, but they were also young enough to be investing more aggressively than boomers wrt the stock market. same thing applies to the tech bubble. i'm sure many gen x'ers took a right cross to the jaw in 2000 with the nasdaq collapse, then got a knee to the groin in 2008. and it gets worse! gen x is a sandwich generation between boomers and echo boomers. the boomers took a hit too, so they will be hanging onto their higher level jobs with a death grip unlike any we've seen. then to top it all off, when and if gen x'ers DO get a taste of life at the top of the corporate ladder, hordes of hungry echo boomers will be right on our heels, peeling our fingers back, making us let go, and tossing us into the street in our 60s. and by that time, any ss/medicare benefits that exist will kick in at like 72+.

Yep,
But don't let me interrupt all the
reverse blame being thrown back at Gen-X.

Mike
edit on 19-9-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Yea, man a few trolls decided to try and derail this thread last night, with their personal vendetta's over generations
. That is the point of this thread thou, that article manages to provide facts, that prove that the generation X generation got screwed pretty bad back in the the 00's.

At least we are not dependent on social media like the menials, and what are they teaching in High school now? I have met children with A's and B's in school yet cannot do long division.

The teachers are letting them use calculators now... They do not even use text books, its all on a computer monitor anyhow that is another thread..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Bicent76

The teachers are letting them use calculators now... They do not even use text books, its all on a computer monitor anyhow that is another thread..

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded -- here and there, now and then -- are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck" .

- Robert Heinlein
edit on 19-9-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The Boomer replies to this thread are classic! LOL! Comedy gold and mostly support the thesis of the article.

Xers can't even pause to commiserate with each other without Boomers chiming in and trying to out-do. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before the Beatles were the greatest band EVAH!, Reagan was a God and you all had to walk five miles, up-hill, in the snow to get to school.

The funny thing is, all the crap that is currently wrong and that Boomers enjoy complaining about (mostly via chronic, rage-filled, paranoid, delusional e-mail forwards to each other and their long-suffering children LOL!) are directly due to the lifestyles, administrations, policies and politics of their OWN generation. It's downright laughable and ridiculous.

But, as iterated in the article, Gen X is too busy coping and persevering to really entertain the pity party of our parents.

Cue Gen Y showing up and declaring us all woefully unhip and out-of-touch and asking to borrow a few bucks.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

kosmicjack
The Boomer replies to this thread are classic! LOL! Comedy gold and mostly support the thesis of the article.

Xers can't even pause to commiserate with each other without Boomers chiming in and trying to out-do. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we've heard it all before the Beatles were the greatest band EVAH!, Reagan was a God and you all had to walk five miles, up-hill, in the snow to get to school.

The funny thing is, all the crap that is currently wrong and that Boomers enjoy complaining about (mostly via chronic, rage-filled, paranoid, delusional e-mail forwards to each other and their long-suffering children LOL!) are directly due to the lifestyles, administrations, policies and politics of their OWN generation. It's downright laughable and ridiculous.

But, as iterated in the article, Gen X is too busy coping and persevering to really entertain the pity party of our parents.

Cue Gen Y showing up and declaring us all woefully unhip and out-of-touch and asking to borrow a few bucks.

Well, I'll bite.

I'm a Gen Y.. Going on 26 years old and I'm well aware of generational "gaps" and norms. I really have nothing against Gen X to be honest. You guys were dealt a #ty hand, and as such that #ty hand will be passed on to Gen Y.

Gen Y definitely have the largest sense of entitlement IMO. We grew up in the age of NOW and were told since we were young, "You can be anything you want", "Everyone is special", "Here is a huge trophy for 5th place".. Political correctness and coddling have plagued Gen Y. The Baby Boomers and Gen X are equally as responsible for the way Gen Y turned out as they are our parents and grandparents. They've built up a society around us. We learn and try to adapt or change from the shortcomings of previous generations, while battling our own identities as a generation. Nobody likes to be labelled but its a fact of life.. Generations are different for many sociological reasons and we all generally fit into some stereotypes associated with our generations.

As far as.. who's had it the hardest, or who is going to? Well the Baby Boomers have had it the easiest, that's for damn sure. Gen X has had some major woes, and Gen Y is shaping up to have plenty of our own. We all say we're going to fix these things or change them from the previous generations, but the ramifications of our actions as a generation aren't felt until a generation or two down the road.. So what do I see happening? A whole lot of people saying "Screw it". The baby boomers are aware of the economic strife and sociological problems within our country but honestly, what are you doing about it today? You make up the vast majority of business owners/executives and congressmen. You have the power to make change and open your eyes, but you're not. Why? My best guess is because you won't be around to see the change and you're already set for the most part.. so it's slowly being pushed on to the backs of Gen X.. As will happen with Gen Y when X decides to throw in the towel... And so on down the line. So until something changes in that cycle, the youngest generation is always going to be worse off than the last.

At the current rate of decay for the economy and society in general... My kids will be lucky to move out by 40, and luckier still if they can actually land a decent paying job with the doctorate degrees everyone will be required to have by 2040. Then they'll have the issue of overcoming their weighty debts as the value of the dollar depreciates into nothing. I can't even speak to the situation of our overbearing, corrupted and failing government..

It's pretty disheartening to think about.. It really comes down to this:

WE'RE ALL TO BLAME

Nothing will change until we start to TOGETHER.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Born in '73 and my BD is coming up soon and where the hell did my 30's go? My first job was working for minimum wage (30hrs/week @ $6.50/hr) at a fish plant sorting caplin on a conveyer belt when I was sixteen. Not because I wanted to work there but because I had to if I wanted money. This taught me to get by with less and be damn thankful for what I have. For god's sake, I didn't even have the internet when I graduated highschool, lol.
edit on 19-9-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Bluesma
Well, as an X Gen, I relate.

I don't know where all these entitlement accusations come from in these replies- me and my entourage were repeatedly taught that we do not deserve anything, and never will have anything, because we're a bunch of demon spawn that ruined our parents precious freedom by being born. We got it.
I think that is the point. There's really no reason to keep repeating it.
Now we need to do research and studies to prove "this generation is f*cked." ?
Where the heck you been man? That's like, old news, dude. DUH.

I agree with you in regards to the entitlement accusations thrown upon the Gen X.

I worked my butt off for everything!

At one point it took me working THREE jobs....yes, three jobs while going to college full-time just to make ends meet. I worked part-time as a secretary, a janitor and a cashier at K-mart.

I was rarely entitled to even sleep.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join