It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says: "Raising the Debt Ceiling...Does Not Increase Our Debt"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Obama has now proclaimed that raising the debt ceiling doesn't increase the debt.

OK.

Has he completely lost it ?

If the 'debt ceiling' isn't about increasing debt then umm well uhh .... what IS ?

Perhaps he was confused and meant a "surplus ceiling"

His astounding logic was highlighted by:

All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you've already racked up, Congress.

Absolutely Brilliant !!!

Raising the debt ceiling doesn't increase the nation's debt, Pres. Obama declared in a speech today.

In a speech at the Business Roundtable headquarters in Washington, D.C., Obama dismissed concerns about raising the debt ceiling by noting that it'd been done so many times in the past:

"Now, this debt ceiling -- I just want to remind people in case you haven't been keeping up -- raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt; it does not somehow promote profligacy. All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you've already racked up, Congress. It's a basic function of making sure that the full faith and credit of the United States is preserved."

Obama: 'Raising the Debt Ceiling...Does Not Increase Our Debt,' Though It Has 'Over 100 Times'

Somebody Needs Help .....

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Did he ever take Math 101?
He's simply delusional.

+39 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Technically, he's right. Raising the debt ceiling does not raise the nation's debt. It does, however, give our government the ability to borrow more which does raise the debt.

Either he thinks the public is dumb enough to buy his drivel or he's so freaking stupid that he actually thinks what he said is right. If that's the case, he shouldn't need to raise the debt ceiling.

I swear the only way we'll get politicians with brains is if we implement zero salary and incentive based bonuses. If these morons, who cannot balance their own check books, are left in control, we're all doomed.

If, however, we find people who are smart enough, and even keeled enough, to run the country, keep us safe, out of wars and out of trouble, they're entitled to the same pay that any major CEO gets.

Offer up those kinds of incentives and you'll have a long line of qualified applicants instead of this parade of failed lawyers, charlatans, trust fund babies and morons.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm so glad that man doesn't balance my checkbook because I'm pretty sure i wouldn't have a home to go to for very long following his logic lol.

i really need to stop reading political stories, my one nerve would thank me I'm sure lol

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
How can we have a debt ceiling if we keep raising it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
And Bill Clinton said he didn't have sex with that intern.

In both cases . . . whatever delusional line of crap helps you sleep at night . . . well then go for it.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I guess. . . I guess it is the arrogance that gets to me. The sheer hubris. The unmitigated gall of Obama as he stands there and vomits out these lies.

I levitate. Seriously. I can levitate. I jump in the air and at the apogee of my ascent, I am neither rising nor falling.

For a microsecond, I am floating.

But I will not stand in front of an audience and tell them that I can levitate!
edit on 18-9-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if someone is elected that does not actually have the mental tools to do what is needed for their position....hmmmm?

It's not really his fault, he is very good at many things...

My nature is to seek harmony and be optimistic...so on that note... doing wrong sometimes leads to good...as bad as this might look, it is for a greater purpose...I know it does not look that way, but remember we can learn to follow an example or learn to avoid an example.

Not all elected leaders are actually good at leading

PS...I am not denying he might be an idiot...maybe he meant it does not increase the deficit and mixed his terms up? Was he following a tele prompter and it was a typo? lol...sad either way

edit on 9/18/2013 by Drala because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Technically, he's right. Raising the debt ceiling does not raise the nation's debt. It does, however, give our government the ability to borrow more which does raise the debt.

He just thinks it's like raising the roof, just makes more room for the party.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I understand his logic in making this statement, but then if that is the case why does the debt ceiling need to be raised if we will not be gaining more debt?
Not sure who he thinks he is kidding with this statement, but I'm certain he thinks everyone will buy it because we are all like this emoticon ->

edit on 9/18/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

He does have the Air Force bands play 70's funk music when he stops at bases to refuel....

Freak out! The freak, so chic!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Either he thinks the public is dumb enough to buy his drivel or he's so freaking stupid that he actually thinks what he said is right. If that's the case, he shouldn't need to raise the debt ceiling.

I must admit, yours aren't normally posts I associate with finding a hard laugh. I couldn't help it though. That clever, almost absurd line of official reasoning hadn't even occurred to me as what he or his speechwriters may have been thinking to form the words. It's so technically accurate to say though? Umm.. wow!

Do you really think he or the writers (and if he doesn't proof his own speeches in advance, that's worse, but he owns them either way of course) have become so aloof and insulated from the public that a play on words so....cheesy, would actually be considered for that logic?

I've been assuming he's just saying up is down again because he can and almost no one has the courage to call the President a liar outright (recall the lonely voice in Congress who once actually did? The aftermath was far more a show than the comment itself being said). I must say, things are worse than I imagined in some ways if their thinking has slid this far. I believe that would be an insult to all 300+ million of us.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Seriously? It doesnt?

Well shoot I gotta go tell all my Credit cards to increase My limits cause Obama says it won't increase my debt.

While technically correct, its beyond stupid.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

it's twisted logic. the reality is, the only reason for raising the debt ceiling is to borrow more so bills can be paid but raising the debt ceiling doesn't mean you have to borrow more. It only means you can.

However, in the 100 previous ceiling raises that he mentions, there was increased borrowing which is increased debt. I think he, and his writers, figure they can say whatever they want. He seems to do this alarmingly more often and he's having it backfire.

He, and his crew of bumbling oafs, did this with Syria and Russia jumped on it and wound up out politicking him to the point that he now seems useless regarding foreign politics.

A smart republican will seize these comments and say "ok, then, if it doesn't mean you want to increase the debt, then don't raise the ceiling."

That will be the end of that.

These guys are destroying the country. They are, to a man, morons. There's not a single politician worth keeping. These guys are given way too much and they produce way too little.

One thing that I have seen over the years is that lawyers are, generally speaking, very good at being lawyers. Not all but, for the most part, they are. Doctors are very good at being doctors. Electricians are good at being electricians and so on.

When you need your books balanced, and you need help figuring out your finances, and you need to figure out how to handle the insurmountable debt, do you call a lawyer? Not unless you're filing for bankruptcy. Do you call a doctor? Only if your bills make you sick.

Nope. you call an accountant. These guys are not equipped to deal with this and they are making decisions that they shouldn't be making.

I wouldn't begin to try and write laws or dictate how we should handle overseas isssues like Syria. I'll voice my opinion but, if you tell me the decision is mine to make, I'm calling in some generals, some folks with real war experience. I'm getting second and third opinions.

If I'm getting chest pains, I'm calling a doctor, not a lawyer.

These guys are equipped to do one thing. Argue.

That's it. That's all they're good for and they're fairly good at it but right now we need accountants who can find ways out of the ever deepening hole we're in. We need some quality advice from bankers and investment gurus who can advise us on where things are headed in various markets. We need to know where we can make up some of the slack and where we can cut the fat, starting with top gov't salaries.

Lastly, we need quality leadership. Someone who will stand up and say "I don't care about the party. I don't care about stupid crap that has no bearing on our society, I care about our country, our safety and, most of all, our economy." Without that, we won't make it to the end of this moron's term.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Oh how ignorance is bliss with todays politicians. Answer me this what is the freakin point in raising the debt limit if your not planning on increasing the amount of debt a nation can hold? I swear to god it seems most politicians have their heads up their asses these days.
edit on 18-9-2013 by truthofnitrous because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If I was the Boss; really
I would have to take a stand and say " No More Credit"!

I work hard for my money and pay cash for what I want and the bank is EVIL! You who go borrow
money from said bank, makes my dollars worth nothing! You Own Nothing; the Banks Do!

Forgive my honesty; US is broke so let's raise it up some more. $hit now my dollar is worth what?
$0.25 now? Has anybody actually noticed this or this is Taboo?

Ever stop to wonder why the people here in the US are so strung out? They will drive to work in
the worst weather, just to get to work knowing if their paycheck is 2hr's short the Bank will
come take it all away! Bank knows there is another Sucker waiting for your house, car and the like!

My Heart Goes out to you all! Concidering that if you break a toe your out for a week at least. Limping
at work just to pay off your bills. And most of you BUY into this idea? Where is your Freedom Now?

Give me Bolt's! I speak only the Truth so help me God! Wake Up and enjoy you life! It is not worth
the price you pay at the Banks! So your car is 10yrs old; paid for it it not? 150,000 miles and you still
owe the Bank?

That is having a Bad Day Indeed!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just to throw in an Aussie perspective.

It is like a mob of kangaroos. Kangaroos eat (the) roots, shoots, and leaves.
Then they have more and more joeys (baby kangas). Eventually there are so many kangaroos that they eat everything. Then millions simply die off horribly.

That is why in Australia we cull them most years. Culling perhaps is what you guys should think about

P

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

pheonix358
Just to throw in an Aussie perspective.

It is like a mob of kangaroos. Kangaroos eat (the) roots, shoots, and leaves.
Then they have more and more joeys (baby kangas). Eventually there are so many kangaroos that they eat everything. Then millions simply die off horribly.

That is why in Australia we cull them most years. Culling perhaps is what you guys should think about

P

Thanks, Pheonix.. I think in the old days of the Soviet Union (where Amerika may be heading anyway) they called it a purge. Usually the wrong ones got to stay back then.
I have no hope with this much corruption up on top and beyond any other end result could be expected.
There are just too many funny-money wierdos at the middle-mismanagement level salivatin' to take their places.

I hear almost everywere west of Brisbane is looking for machinists / toolmakers / crafties. Still savin' from the rice and beans for the tramp steamer where I can... I think she's gonna blow before I can go.

ps My main concern is how many up here may buy it who aren't roos. Cheers

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Got it. Raising debt limit, not raising debt. Uh huh.

Help me out though; what is the purpose of raising your debt ceiling if you have no intention of using the increased limit? Why even discuss it?

Aren't we just really talking about paying off a percentage of the interest here so we can continue to borrow more?

Pay our bills? When have we ever done that? Ever since the inception of the Fed, it is impossible. We will always owe interest which does not exist. Some may argue that 'interest' comes in the form of influence in DC. Makes sense I guess.

I am sick of politicians pointing out the US government needs to 'balance its check book' just like the American people. BS. Two completely different ways of doing business. Yet, it gets thrown out there to make everybody feel all homey and down to Earth.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yeah i wish this were the case. But well we cant cull off these so called "human beings" who are beyond idiotic. can we? No they must condemmed and ridiculed to the point where they can never be allowed in public. Let them suffer as they have done to us. Make them feel what we have felt from them. They wanna make our lives a living hell... well like a light reflecting off a shiney surface we do to them even more so but only via the use of information warfare.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join