It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have I Caught Disney Juniors Teaching Kids To Swear?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ok so my 19 month old daughter is sitting watch Disney Juniors (for those that don't know its a TV channel), I'm just milling about when I could have sworn (no pun intended) I hear one of the characters swear/curse. I rewound and listened again! and again! and again!

I I'm pretty sure the character says the word "#ty" (slang for something being pooey). The thing is he quickly corrects himself saying "oh no, I mean bad really bad!".

I took a video, you can hear the pharse at about 9 seconds.

Let me know what you think.

ALS
edit on 18-9-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
come on people I need you to see this.

Let me know I'm not going crazy.

ALS

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

It may or may not have been. I caught what they were doing in the couple of seconds leading up to it. Sounded like alliteration. "Hopeless, horrible..." and possibly something that began with a drawn out hissing sound or could have been the word you were thinking of. It's easy to mistake if you live in a society that likes to use the word. Otherwise, if you'd never heard the word, you'd assume it was something else.

So maybe it's you and your dirty mind.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I thought that too but I couldn't think of a word that followed the pattern, yet sounded like the phase. And the way it corrects itself? hmmmmm

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I broke out the headphones and turned the volume way up because I figured there had to be an explanation for this. Unfortunately, it really sounds like a naughty word.

Incidentally, my son (9) was watching an Ironman cartoon the other day and one of the characters yelled out an expletive that starts with a 'c' and ends with a 'p' while falling off a cliff. The cartoon seems to be targeting his age group but now I have to screen each episode before he watches them.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

We're talking about Disney here guys.

Even if it didn't say #ty (which it cleeeaaarrllly does if you turn your volume up!) --- That little company has been caught red handed countless times with slipping in super/subliminal messages of sex, drugs, and the dirty four letter words.

Honestly I don't think swearing is such a bad thing, by restricting words we give them more power- just like anything else I'd wager. Had my dear mother never taught me "if you can spell it, you can say it"-- I would have never loved the english language as much as I do.
.. Not to say it still doesn't get me into trouble at times!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by St1ckyfng3rz

Crap? That's not a bad word is it? It might not be appropriate for a toddler to say it, but I've heard pastors even say it before.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

'Crap'? 'Crap' is not a swear word. Hell, I'd prefer that sort of language to the full-out profanity I hear kids around here indulging in. I remember I was punished in fourth grade for saying 'crap'. I still don't understand why.
edit on 18-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I've heard pastors use stronger language than that.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
My kids don't use that word. To each their own, I guess

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

ALOSTSOUL
Ok so my 19 month old daughter is sitting watch Disney Juniors (for those that don't know its a TV channel), I'm just milling about when I could have sworn (no pun intended) I hear one of the characters swear/curse. I rewound and listened again! and again! and again!

I I'm pretty sure the character says the word "#ty" (slang for something being pooey). The thing is he quickly corrects himself saying "oh no, I mean bad really bad!".

I took a video, you can hear the pharse at about 9 seconds.

Let me know what you think.

ALS
edit on 18-9-2013 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

Your in the UK?
You need to pay attention to what your child watches on those kid shows, I've heard quite alot thats not suitable for kids. Pay close attention to Charlie and Lola , that program must surely be funded by big pharma. For bad language see Horrid Henry!
There's only one kids program that I've not been able to find fault with and thats Abney and Teal, a beautiful little program.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Oh my!

Just one of many reasons I have banned this channel in my home. I've heard a few "S" bombs being dropped on Disney over the years, but this is blatant. Do they not screen this stuff anymore?

I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but when a kid is supposed to be watching a channel dedicated to them you would expect programming to be suitable.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Crap? That's not a bad word is it? It might not be appropriate for a toddler to say it, but I've heard pastors even say it before.

That was my response, too. (And I can't think of another "expletive" that starts with c, ends with p, and that I might yell if falling off a cliff. lol)

But really, if you think "crap" is an "expletive" I suggest you have a few deep breaths and maybe take up meditation. I guess everyone's different.... but this has always been one of my peeves. Words do have power, but we are the ones that give that power.... and we give "expletives" more power by making them taboo. Plus, you can't shelter your kids forever.

Plus... where do you draw the line? And why? Which word is acceptable? S***? Crap? Poop? Poo? Chocolate uh-ohs? Do we have to make it really juvenile before it's okay to say? Or maybe instead really clinical? Feces? Movement? Defecation?

IMHO the way it's commonly used, the word "crap" is not only synonymous with... "number two" (is that one okay to say?) ... but also with a word like "crud" or even "garbage." Are those dirty words?

Anyway, sorry for the minor rant, and I hope some people understand what I'm trying to say here... and perhaps consider it. Back to the comment, specifically.... perhaps in your mind, or in your home that is a dirty word. I assure you that on TV, and probably even in your kids' school, that has not been a dirty word for at least a couple decades now.

@OP Yeah, I kinda heard it too. Weird.
edit on 18-9-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well, after 3 listens with the volume up...

If it looks like a duck...er...sounds like a duck. It's a duck.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
sorry.
edit on 18-9-2013 by whouwanttob because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

We are talking about the C[snip]P word ?

edit on 19-9-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yep two of us here heard the same thing as well. One good program we found that our little man loves is Peter rabbit. Give it a try if its on locally 4 ya, plus it's not annoying like some of the other shows out there... Actually he loves the show, while channel surfing one afternoon we left it on and came back into the room to find him all lit up over it, mind you he is just 6 months right now.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Was this a live broadcast or do you think the automatic correction was meant to be ignored while the swearing was meant to be implemented? Seriously, if they heard a bad word, they might repeat it. If they hear the person saying the bad word repent and correct, what is the issue>?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

People, This is a 19 MONTH OLD listening to this program or show!?!!

For an infant to listen and watch a conversation like this is a little(a lot!) too strong, in my opinion.

I listened with my studio headphones. This is so bizarre?!!!

If this is just taken and considered as Not A Big Deal, the question is; Is this Right or Wrong? It is One or the Other. Just answer the question!

Mr Rogers DVDs I would have yours watch and listen and watch and others.

Turn off the TV

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 1104light

Live Broadcast? This is animation. Not real people and a microphone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join