It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon Violates 700mhz Spectrum Auction Provision.. FCC Does Nothing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
First off who is Jeff Jarvis?

an American journalist, professor, public speaker and former television critic. He advocates the Open Web and argues that there are many social and personal benefits to living a more public life on the internet.

Jarvis is the creator of the popular weblog BuzzMachine, which tracks developments in new media and chronicles some of the author's personal obsessions, such as the fortunes of radio host Howard Stern. He gained national notoriety when he wrote about his negative experiences in dealing with Dell Computer's customer support system on the website.[citation needed]

Along with Leo Laporte and Gina Trapani, Jarvis is a co-host on This Week in Google, a live-streamed podcast show on the TWiT Network which covers Google and cloud computing.

Verizon, caught red-handed

Verizon has now on multiple occasions refused to connect my Google Nexus 7 LTE tablet.....

Verizon is thus clearly violating FCC regulations governing its acquisition of the spectrum that enables its LTE service, which require it to open to *all* devices. To quote from the regulations (my emphasis):

(b) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block network, except:
(1) Insofar as such use would not be compliant with published technical standards reasonably necessary for the management or protection of the licensee’s network, or
(2) As required to comply with statute or applicable government regulation.

Verizon also violates its promise not to violate that requirement. On May 7, 2008, Ars Technica quotes Verizon VP Jim Gerace saying on the company’s public policy blog:

“Verizon Wireless—and all the other participants in the recent 700 MHz spectrum auction—understood the FCC’s rules for using that spectrum in advance of the auction. Of course we’ll abide by those rules.”

So this is not a matter of anything Verizon cannot do. This is a matter of what Verizon will not do. And that is what makes this a violation of FCC regulations and Verizon’s assurances.

Apparently this is a creative way to keep products off the network that Verizon doesn't directly sell...

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder how "above the law" companies like Verizon have become following their years of secret, ongoing and close cooperation with some of the most powerful and dangerous agencies our Government has to claim.

I wonder, from all that time working to help violate us in other ways? How many 'get out of scandal free' cards did they accumulate? How many top officials do they have personal home and cell numbers for and 24/hr access to call if a problem like this appears to pose a serious threat to their business interests?

'You spy on our citizens...we watch your back'. I wonder how far off that is from the actual truth?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by atsmediapro

Never mind...
edit on 9/18/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't doubt the government doesn't mind scratching their backs. I talked with a techie from Cisco that services Verizon towers on a flight a few months back and he said Verizon uses Cisco for their wan at every cell tower. We all know what the Cisco routers are good for.

new topics

top topics

join