It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical-Era Town Discovered Along Sea of Galilee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Archaeologists have found an ancient town along the Sea of Galilee. The Biblical town is estimated to be around 2000 years old and is located in the Ginosar Valley in Israel.

The ancient town may be Dalmanutha (also spelled Dalmanoutha), described in the Gospel of Mark as the place Jesus sailed to after miraculously feeding 4,000 people by multiplying a few fish and loaves of bread, said Ken Dark, of the University of Reading in the U.K., whose team discovered the town during a field survey.

The archaeologists also determined that a famous boat, dating to around 2,000 years ago, and uncovered in 1986, was found on the shoreline of the newly discovered town. The boat was reported on two decades ago but the discovery of the town provides new information on what lay close to it.

The Sea of Galilee boat is the most famous artifact that can now be associated with this newly discovered town. It dates back to either the first century B.C. or A.D. Although the boat was uncovered in 1986 the discovery of the town means we now know it was found on the ancient town's shoreline.

Link 1
link 2
link 3

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Man... That is one accurate fairy tale.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

hey you are speaking to an atheist here, but no doubt plenty of the places mentioned in the bible existed, just look at Jerusalem, Nazareth etc

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

hey you are speaking to an atheist here, but no doubt plenty of the places mentioned in the bible existed, just look at Jerusalem, Nazareth etc

The bible should contain them because it's basically nothing but a history book. Well a history book with a whole lot of imagination thrown in.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Very interesting Lady T.

Some time ago I read an article where the author made a case that the new testament Jesus was a composite character, made up of stories of several individuals whom were messiahs in their day.
Specifically the bread and fish story can be found in work by the essenes done 200years before Jesus.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

buster2010

Lady_Tuatha

The bible should contain them because it's basically nothing but a history book. Well a history book with a whole lot of imagination thrown in.

You forgot to add.....'In my opinion'.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wow, what started out as an interesting topic, within just a few comments has degenerated into an anti Christian topic. Well done!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by greavsie1971

How has it degenerated into an anti Christian discussion.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

greavsie1971

buster2010

Lady_Tuatha

You forgot to add.....'In my opinion'.

Why? Show me one winged flying person and I'll add In my opinion. Quite a bit of a bible is true every year there is more evidence showing that places in it did exist. But with every good story you will have imagination thrown in.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

punkinworks10
reply to post by greavsie1971

How has it degenerated into an anti Christian discussion.

Because somebody suggested that everything in the bible isn't the truth. You know the old if you are not with us then you are against us.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

greavsie1971
Wow, what started out as an interesting topic, within just a few comments has degenerated into an anti Christian topic. Well done!

You can thank this comment:

DeadSeraph

Man... That is one accurate fairy tale.

Everyone is always ready to get their religious jabs in. In this case, it was a pro-Christian viewpoint that started it off. With a one liner. That had nothing, really, to do with the OP.

On Topic: IF the Biblical Jesus were truly a real person (even if he had the Paul Bunyan done on him post mortem), its kinda cool to think that he may have actually laid his own eyes on that boat at one time.

As they excavate the site, it should provide some interesting information.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow. An atheist thread hijacking if I ever saw one. You guys don't waste any time when it comes to defecating all over anything that even insinuates something you don't like.

Wow.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

No doubt plenty of the places mentioned in the bible existed, just look at Jerusalem, Nazareth

It is actually rather doubtful that Nazareth existed in any meaningful sense at the time Jesus lived.

Nazareth: the Town that Theology Built

Nazareth in the Early Christian Era

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'm ashamed of you guys....didn't you ever go to Sunday school....
Everything in the Bible is real, now go read it....
Did you know that the odds of only 8 of the 16 predictions of the coming of Jesus.....is like stacking 75 piles of one dollar bills to the moon......and going up there to pick out one bill......anywhere you wish to stop along the way a quarter million miles.....
Now, the only way to get this message is to read the Scripture. just read John....then Romans.....you'll see something start to reveal itself. Kinda supernatural, just like you want!

odds....10 to the 23rd.....

edit on 18-9-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

NthOther
Wow. An atheist thread hijacking if I ever saw one. You guys don't waste any time when it comes to defecating all over anything that even insinuates something you don't like.

Wow.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

This is the Ancient Civilizations forum. It is here for discussion on matters relating to civilization. Religion is down the hall, to the left.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

This is the Ancient Civilizations forum. It is here for discussion on matters relating to civilization.

Galilee circa 100 BC-100AD is an ancient civilization.

Religion is down the hall, to the left.

Like it would matter. You'll chase people down wherever they may be, like a Jehovah's Witness.

top topics

join