Explosion "completely vaporizes Connecticut home into a million pieces"

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Stamford, CT explosion levels home; sends debris 400 feet into the air

“When the fire department and police arrived at the scene… there was no house left. It was in a million pieces,” Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia told the Daily News. “The home was completely and totally destroyed.”

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Another home explosion possibly attributed to gas. This home was completely obliterated and the explosion was felt and heard 2 miles away. This home wasn't part of a natural gas line though. It had a 500 gallon propane tank.

Another source

“The report that I got was that a house was vaporized and that’s a description that’s hard to imagine until you see it,” Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia told WCBS 880. “The house was actually demolished in a million pieces. I’ve never quite seen the kind of damage to a building before and the debris was spread out probably 400-500 feet around where the house once stood.”

While the house was blown clear out of existence, the homeowner survived. Police said he was on the property, but not inside the structure when it blew.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Hmmm, very suspicious indeed.

It is my understanding that, in order to get an explosion that is so complete and omnidirectional, a very specific ratio of gases must be present and evenly distributed in the space.

There are many factors that preclude those circumstances including number of floors, air density, 'R' value of walls and leaking windows, etc, etc.

At the very least, he has got some 'splainin' to do to his insurance provider me thinks.

edit on 18-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Perhaps a small fragment of space rock landed just right on the propane tank.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Id be interested in knowing his financial situation, because my first thoughts are of insurance fraud.

Wouldn't be hard to fill a home with gas and then blow it up. If the insurance doesn't pay up you could alway claim some conspiracy and the money would start rolling in for interviews.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I wonder if illegal activities are involved?

A drug producer, in particular Meth, which utilize a lot of dangerous and explosive chemicals could have caused that kind of damage.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

propane gas is heavier than air , it does not rise but builds up from ground level.

when a sufficient amount gas has built up on the ground floor and ignites then your house is history.
and as this house seems to be built out of timber , it would not take much .

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It was a neighborhood filled with million dollar homes. This particular home was worth a million and had six bedrooms. But, why would he still be at the property. He was outside and was taken to the hospital but is ok. Maybe he was in the process of vacating the property and then KABOOM, he didn't quite make it away in time. Would like to hear what the homeowner has to say about it...like how long was he outside...did he smell any gases in the house...is that why he was outside, and so on.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

a meth lab would not vaporize a house, not to say it could of been a contributing factor, but unless he was "mass producing", as in he had many employs. a methlab ran by one dude will not make an explosion that big.
edit on 18-9-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

DocHolidaze
reply to post by MDDoxs

a meth lab would not vaporize a house, not to say it could of been a contributing factor, but unless he was "mass producing", as in he had many employs. a methlab ran by one dude will not make an explosion that big.
edit on 18-9-2013 by DocHolidaze
because: (no reason given)

Is that assumption coming from personal experience?

Its possible that the home would do that. I've seen propane tanks explode and have been very close to a 10000 gallon tank when it goes off.

Very cool stuff!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

DocHolidaze
reply to post by MDDoxs

Its possible that the home would do that. I've seen propane tanks explode and have been very close to a 10000 gallon tank when it goes off.

Very cool stuff!

You've been around propane tanks when they explode? Even more than one? Holy cow, what line of work are you in, or what parties you hanging out at? I didn't realize propane tank explosions were so common.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

DocHolidaze
reply to post by MDDoxs

Very cool stuff!

Propane tanks have lead plugs that melt and release the gas in a jet rather than an explosion. Thats certainly the way they are designed in the uk.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Ours are made from sheet steel and welded at the seams. Pretty big difference ha.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

My old school teacher blew himself up while trying to unload his truck with four or five of them. Truck was gone along with half his house. He survived for a couple more weeks though.

All from static.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

TheLotLizard

Ours are made from sheet steel and welded at the seams. Pretty big difference ha.

Try looking at the brass valve. On the back you'll find a lead plug.

Propane tanks must be equipped with a pressure relief valve that opens and closes to prevent excessive internal pressure due to abnormal conditions.

Source

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

tom.farnhill

propane gas is heavier than air , it does not rise but builds up from ground level.

when a sufficient amount gas has built up on the ground floor and ignites then your house is history.
and as this house seems to be built out of timber , it would not take much .

Could be, I was thinking about the ratio to oxygen needing to be just right. How many tanks of propane would you need to 'accidentally' disintegrate your house?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

How many tanks of propane would you need to 'accidentally' disintegrate your house?
Just 1 big one maybe,

Police and fire officials believe the explosion may have been caused by a buildup of fumes in the home's basement from an underground 500-gallon propane tank buried in the backyard.
www.stamfordadvocate.com...

I was asleep on my balcony in the french quarter shortly after hurricane Katrina struck.
I was awakened by a loud sustained racket that I couldn't identify.

After a few seconds I realized I could see reflecting off the highrise buildings of downtown, a huge explosion happening behind me, or my building rather.

Turns out it was a produce storage facility. The sustained explosion was the result of several hundred small propane tanks going off like a giant pack of firecrackers.

A couple of days later I took this photo. The entire building had been shredded. This pile of rubble was a brick and iron structure, similar to the one still standing.

edit on 18-9-2013 by tanda7 because: photo

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Zoinks! Well, that's what I get for not reading the whole article carefully.

Thanks for pointing that out!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

DocHolidaze
reply to post by MDDoxs

I can back you up on that. We have an extremely high concentration of meth labs here. While I was growing up, probably half a dozen houses in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods alone were brought down my meth lab accidents. None of them were anything more impressive than your average house fire.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

VoidHawk

TheLotLizard

Try looking at the brass valve. On the back you'll find a lead plug.

Propane tanks must be equipped with a pressure relief valve that opens and closes to prevents excessive internal pressure due to abnormal conditions.

Ok so what happens if it drops and cracks and while happening makes a spark. Is your plug going to hold?
Source

new topics
top topics

join