It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Freight train derails on Sellafield line

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hi all,

I just want your opinions on this local story, probably nothing, but something doesn't feel right about it.

Yesterday (16/9/13), a freight train carrying nuclear flasks derailed on its way to Sellafield.

They say the flasks were empty and no nuclear material was onboard.

The train was only traveling at 5MPH and it wasn't a serious derailment.

Emergency crews raced to the scene, just behind Salthouse Road, Barrow, at about 2.15pm yesterday and St Luke’s Avenue was cordoned off.

A spokeswoman from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that five appliances had been called to the scene.

Andrew Kneale, 41, of Dalton, was with six-year-old daughter Millie when the accident happened.

Mr Kneale said: “I had gone down to check on the fishery near there and I heard all these sirens. There must have been about 15 emergency vehicles at one point.

Sounds like a bit of a drastic response for a small derailment with empty flasks.

Barrow MP John Woodcock has called for a full investigation, describing the incident as “unacceptable”. He said: “Whether full or empty, high level waste flasks are designed to withstand incredibly high levels of force but it is obviously completely unacceptable that this derailment has occurred. I am concerned for all those involved but also angry on behalf of my constituents who have taken a very measured approach to nuclear waste material being transported through Furness.

Slip of the tongue? He seems to indicate that there was waste involved.

From this news video clip it is reported that "nearby residents were warned to remain indoors".

A spokesman for Network Rail said "technical issues" meant the train was still on the tracks between Roose and Barrow and couldn't be removed until tonight.

“The recovery of the train at Barrow is proving extremely challenging due to the location and the ground conditions in the area.

They seem to be being very careful in handling this, sounds a bit fishy if you ask me....but what really set my mind into overtime, and caused me to write this thread was this....

“The flasks were being transported from Barrow and had been shipped to the UK from Japan.”

Anyone have any thoughts?

Source 1

Source 2

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I am having a hard time figuring out if it derailed at all. One of your sources claims that it did....but it didnt.

A spokesman for Network Rail said "technical issues" meant the train was still on the tracks between Roose and Barrow and couldn't be removed until tonight.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
From Japan!!!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I'm pretty sure if just one wheel came off the track it would be classed as a derailment.

But yeah, this is what is bugging me, all that emergency response, yet nothing really happening (officially)?
edit on 18/9/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

It makes me wonder if they have some secret deal going on with Tepco over Fukushima.

The last we need in Cumbria is more of the worlds crap.

That being said, we (well, Sellafield) supply Japan with most of its MOX fuel.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Hard to say without more information, but a derailment at 5 mph sounds like a wheel came off the track or a rail tipped over. It would be unlikely that any damage would occur unless a container actually rolled over but it doesn't sound like that happened here. I imagine the problem is the weight of the equipment involved. These flasks are very heavy (thank goodness!) and if there is a rolled rail or some such track failure it could be challenging to move the equipment far enough to allow repairs to be made.

As to the huge response by emergency services, there are almost always emergency plans put in place for these types of "special" shipments. They are designed to get an immediate response by emergency services in the area by the use of a short code word call. The first responders wouldn't know whether the equipment was loaded or empty until they arrived on scene and had an initial conference with the train crew. The initial response is ALWAYS overkill, and it is designed to be that way. Better safe than sorry!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Empty flasks from japan? Why would japan be sending empty flasks?
So, japan had all these empty flasks just sitting around and they said, lets send these flasks to another country since everything here is in fine working order and we don`t need them.

If the flasks really are empty then why such a huge response to the train derailing?
if it was a train hauling chickens would there have been such a response?
A train hauling empty flasks and a train hauling chickens pose the same danger if they derail,none.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

They could be waiting to receive nuclear material to be shipped back to Japan. This would be new nuclear fuel. I know of truckers who haul around empty hellfire missile containers..

I'm just guessing.
edit on 9/18/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Sounds like a training exercise to me but, that is just a thought.

top topics

join