It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best friends[TFWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Life is so strange sometimes. Let me share a little story, with you. A story that haven't been told for more than 40 years.

It started when i was 10 years old. I was always a loner and since the age of 3 i had at least five different imaginary friends. After the epic failure of my tenth birthday party, i locked myself in my room and started talking to them.

I started ranting about how my birthday party sucked and my "friends" would answer and confort me. All this inside my head of course. They made plans for my next party and how fantastic it would be, if my mother didn't get involved.

I was kind of relaxed and my mood was getting better. We were chatting about the theme party when, to my surprise, i actually heard a voice behind me, taking part in the conversation. "No, no, no. The princess theme is overused, you should try something more strange, like let's say elves or dwarves or spacemen". I turned around, only to see a boy around my age sitting on my desk.

"Who are you? How did you get in my room?"
"Well i'm Douglas and i came here with this"

He showed me a small metallic ball, with a small screen and a few buttons.

"What is it?"
"It's a time machine. I stole it, i mean i burrowed it from my mother to come and meet you"
"What? Why me? You mean you are from the future?"
"Yes, my mom is a history teacher and all historians have time machines. They take kids to field trips in the past, so they can study history better"
"And why did you come to meet me?"
"Oh you don't know it yet, but you are very important in the future."
"Important, how?
"I can't tell you more and i can't stay long. The time cops will find out and then i will be in deep trouble, but i will come back again"
"Ok so you met me, now what?"
"I don't know. I have about 10 minutes until my return. You want to play?"
"What? Do you want cake?"
"Sure. What is a cake?"
"Oh come on, you don't have birthday cakes in the future?"
"No. Everything that isn't good for the health is illegal. I guess cakes are illegal too"
"Wait here, i'll get you some"

I left the room in a hurry, but when i returned with a huge piece of cake, Douglas was gone. I sat in the bed staring at the empty desk and i started wondering if i would see him again.

Six months later, he came back. He was a little older than i remembered. He was waiting outside my school. He told me that for him 2 years have passed and he couldn't come earlier, but he had a gift for me. He gave me a small box and said it was a temporal communication device. We could talk at any time, but no more than 15 minutes. As he disappeared he told me...."i'll call you".

For many years we talked every night and once or twice a year he came and visit me. I asked him to take me back with him in the future, but he answered that i shouldn't leave my timeline.
"Remember you are very important."

Years passed and when i went to the university both the visits and the calls stopped. I was very sad and worried. What could have happened to my best friend. First year at the university i spent it alone. Both my nature as a loner and my grief for losing Douglas made me a little anti social. Then the second year i met Elliot. We had some classes together and he was interested in science fiction as i did. We started talking about time travel and after a few beers i told him about Douglas. To my surpise he said that he had met Doug himself and that last year he had lost contact with him.
"Did he tell you that you are a very important person?" I asked mockingly.
"Yes, he actually did, but he couldn't tell me why"
"What do you think we do, that makes us special?"
"No idea. We both study physics. Maybe we will create a time machine"

The night passed and by morning we were a couple and we got married after graduation. We both got a job in the physics department of the university and our secret project was the creation of a time machine. 5 years after we got married we had our first child, a daughter and 2 years later a son.

Elliot died 2 years ago and we still haven't finished our time machine. Now that i am in the hospital and i don't know how much time i have left, i decided to share the story. We never told anyone about our strange, little friend, not even our children.
My son in law told me that in two days my daughter will give birth to their first son. I was so surprised when he told me that they will name him Douglas, after his father.

Some things start making sense now.
Goodnight.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Very good story indeed. don't know if i believe it but cool anyway

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by coolcatt

Thank you. It's a fictional story, for this month's writing contest.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I should have mentioned that i guess

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

lolol very cheeky.

Man how cool thank you for the link phantom this sounds like a good thing to get into myself. will give it a go....

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I really enjoyed reading that
. I was just about to mention my imaginary friend when i was a child (well i think he was imaginary
when you said it was fiction. Nice stuff indeed

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by coolcatt

Looking forward to read your story. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Great story. I like the paradox you incorporated, and it left me wondering for a bit. Then I remembered it was just a story, and you were exercising creative freedom. Nice.

SnF.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thank you Druid.
I always look forward for your opinion.

top topics

join